Fuse blowing (1 Viewer)

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
I suspect that I have faulty wiring to my cigarette lighter on the dash. (It stopped working when I had my little heater fan plugged into it. The fuse also drives the electric windows and the radio) I would like to take it out and have a look see, but don't know how to.

Does the lighter socket just get prised out of the dashboard, from the front, underneath ? Any help appreciated.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
FAN HEATER IN A CIG LIGHTER SOCKET:Eeek::Eeek:
Im suprised you have a van left
did the fuse blow and you have replaced it but it still wont work? or is it still blowing fuses
You may be into some serious re wiring, your question suggest you have only limited knowlege of vehicle electrics I recommend you have it looked at professionally.
Not all damaged wiring can be visibly located and any damage may not be limited to the rear of the cig socket
Geo
Might I add in my proffesional opinion any thing high powered like heaters and or coffee tea warming devices are best left out of all cig sockets, unless your 100% sure of it suitability

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philcott
Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
In my defence Geo, it was one of those little fans that fits on the dashboard. It was fitted by the previous owner as he said the heater system in the cab didn't work.

You are quite right, I have very limited knowledge of how it all works, but thought I could at least have a look see. But I appreciate your time - and your advice. I won't fiddle and will ask someone who knows what they are doing to have a look.

With regard to the fuses - when you try and replace the little fuse in the fuse box, it blows straight away regardless of whether or not the engine is running.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
In my defence Geo, it was one of those little fans that fits on the dashboard. It was fitted by the previous owner as he said the heater system in the cab didn't work.

You are quite right, I have very limited knowledge of how it all works, but thought I could at least have a look see. But I appreciate your time - and your advice. I won't fiddle and will ask someone who knows what they are doing to have a look.

With regard to the fuses - [HI]when you try and replace the little fuse in the fuse box, it blows straight away [/HI]regardless of whether or not the engine is running.

First question concerning blown fuses is WHY?
It is now more likely that there is a short circuit than the cause being an overloaded outlet!

Take the good advice GEO gave, get a professional to check it.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
In my defence Geo, [HI]it was one of those little fans that fits on the dashboard.[/HI] It was fitted by the previous owner as he said the heater system in the cab didn't work.

With regard to the fuses - when you try and replace the little fuse in the fuse box, it blows straight away regardless of whether or not the engine is running.

i had one of these once and the plug got hotter than the heater so off to the bin it went.

if you are blowing fuses straight away it will no doubt mean melted wiring.
you may be lucky and it has just melted the rear of the socket but i find that doubtful.
definitely a job for an auto electrician as they will be able to rectify any other damage caused to the wiring loom.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back