Fraud e-mails continue to get smarter (1 Viewer)

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Screen shot for you of a recent email looking to most people like it is from Microsoft..... only it isn't. The sods are getting ever more clever in their deceptions.

I know some of you may be more computer savvy than myself and this is old news but sharing for those that are not up to date on spotting these evil gits.

The way to weed these out is to NOT click any links. But DO click your own email program to REPLY.
Then you can highlight or click on the REAL address the email has come from - in this case "newsletter@figoshine.com"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1645787186535.png

Attachments

• 1645787016435.png
    1645787016435.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 132

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
as a small business that is very susceptible to reviews I was definitely NOT pleased to receive the following email yesterday. Either I'm annoyed they are happy to write false reviews, or they take your money and do nothing thinking you couldnt really go to court to get money back

Hello,

Just a small note.

Do you want to push down some negative reviews in your Google, Yelp, Facebook AND other sites or do you want more reviews for your business.

If Yes we can bring some Amazing 5-star reviews for your business on any platform you want. We are a group of freelancers providing 5-star reviews to boost reputation in the market and push down negative reviews with quality reviews.

If you are interested, please let me know how many reviews you want and where you want us to put reviews and I can share you customized package according to that.

Regards

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Had a text late last night claiming that I had come in contact with a pos covid.
To order my test kit click the link etc.

Someone had mentioned similar on here so binned.

Be careful folks.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A simple rule. NEVER click on a link in an email.

This for me is a sacrosanct rule...
The only exception being from a company/organisation you are expecting it from immediately, eg a reset link for a password etc.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The way to weed these out is to NOT click any links. But DO click your own email program to REPLY.
If you hover your mouse above the link they want you to click on it should show you where it takes you to.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I have stopped quoting that exception because it reduces the impact of the message.
Trouble is that if you don't tell people they won't know when it IS safe to click a link and they could then end up not being able to get into their accounts etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
You left your e mail address in the message.(n)
That old email address is all over the interweb as I have used it since around 1994? Hence I take extra care when when using it and any emails sent to it. But thanks for pointing out.
Minxy - strangely on this email (viewing on phone and laptop) - does NOT reveal the true email when I hover over it - part of the reason i took a screenshot and posted here to help alert others.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I no longer trust any pop-up chat boxes that offer help. Unsuspecting, I was scammed that way.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Minxy - strangely on this email (viewing on phone and laptop) - does NOT reveal the true email when I hover over it - part of the reason i took a screenshot and posted here to help alert others.
That's a new tweak to the usual emails then, does it show anything at all?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
That's a new tweak to the usual emails then, does it show anything at all?
Nothing except an offer to "select all" like when you want to copy and paste something.
Hence, why i posted, I didn't know you could disarm that feature?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
What site was that?
It was on Kaspersky. I had been trying to update my AV unsuccessfully, and wanted to report the problem. The chat box malware offered help from "Elisabeth" and eventually a phone call from the bloke with an Indian accent claiming to be the legitimate customer service. I don't really understand how it was done. Best guess is that somehow the scammers had disabled my AV and redirected me to a cloned fake site when I opened my Kaspersky application and clicked on a link expecting to reach the real Kaspersky. The scammers didn't win because I got my bank to stop payment and issue a new credit card.

I never had any more trouble with Kaspersky so it was a one-off. I hope this Ukraine business doesn't mean my AV gets sanctioned because I just paid for 2 more years.

OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
It was on Kaspersky. I had been trying to update my AV unsuccessfully, and wanted to report the problem. The chat box malware offered help from "Elisabeth" and eventually a phone call from the bloke with an Indian accent claiming to be the legitimate customer service. I don't really understand how it was done. Best guess is that somehow the scammers had disabled my AV and redirected me to a cloned fake site when I opened my Kaspersky application and clicked on a link expecting to reach the real Kaspersky. The scammers didn't win because I got my bank to stop payment and issue a new credit card.

I never had any more trouble with Kaspersky so it was a one-off. I hope this Ukraine business doesn't mean my AV gets sanctioned because I just paid for 2 more years.

You do know Kaspersky is Russian owned I take it? I only know because I used to get it free with my banking until they ditched it, perhaps when the Russians invaded the Crimea?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
You do know Kaspersky is Russian owned I take it? I only know because I used to get it free with my banking until they ditched it, perhaps when the Russians invaded the Crimea?
Yes, I know, hence my last sentence. Kaspersky also sponsors the Ferrari F1 team.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back