For Anyone Considing Buying A Mobile Wi-Fi Thingy... (1 Viewer)

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I bought a Vodafone R205 mobile hotspot thing which replaces the older (slower) model a couple of days ago and I would like to report that it is fantastic.

Three to four times faster... footy without pixels and pauses to stream the video... even Jolean and Edin look quick...:thumb:

Well pleased.

JJ:Cool:

I have a samsung note 2 which allows 5 devices to connect via its own WiFi... as I understand it i can use Vodafone Traveller £3.00 per day which utilisies my UK (Vodafone) phone plan (this is not WiFi )...not sure as yet if this allows me a internet connection for my laptop? via Traveller

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Using a smartphone to share your connection with other devices as described above might be using up your mobile phone allowance.

I hope people do not get confused between the difference between mobile phone contracts (which include calls, texts and some data usage) and a purely internet data contracts.

The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 is a mobile (smart) phone and its SIM card only allows connection to mobile phone networks.

But of course it comes equipped with wi-fi which allows you to connect to wi-fi hotspots like McDonald's or libraries etc which has nothing to do with the SIM card or the mobile networks.

Indeed you can use the SGN2 without a SIM card in it and still connect to any available wi-fi (just like your laptop or tablet).

But sometimes there are no wi-fi hotspots around (or they are locked).

This is where the mobile wi-fi thingy comes in... It creates your own personal wi-fi hotspot. You need a data (not mobile phone) SIM card and you pay for the data it uses. How much depends on which deal you can get.

In Portugal I cannot find a mobile phone contract which includes sensible priced data usage.You can get deals with unlimited calls and/or texts but they only include a "small" amount of data (up to 3gb) in these contract packages. If you go over this you pay a small fortune for each extra megabyte.

So, I have a data contract for the mobile wi-fi thingy of €31 per month which allows me 15gb per month at full speed and if I use that up, unlimited but much slower use until.the end of the month.

I have a pay as you go SIM in the phone (no money left) which allows me to recieve calls and texts but if I want to send texts or call out I use Skype through the wi-fi.

Hope someone finds the above useful.

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Using a smartphone to share your connection with other devices as described above might be using up your mobile phone allowance. I hope people do not get confused between the difference between mobile phone contracts (which include calls, texts and some data usage) and a purely internet data contracts. Hope someone finds the above useful. JJ :Cool:

Heavily edited but yes that does clear up some confusion for me at least. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Using a smartphone to share your connection with other devices as described above might be using up your mobile phone allowance.

I hope people do not get confused between the difference between mobile phone contracts (which include calls, texts and some data usage) and a purely internet data contracts.

The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 is a mobile (smart) phone and its SIM card only allows connection to mobile phone networks.

But of course it comes equipped with wi-fi which allows you to connect to wi-fi hotspots like McDonald's or libraries etc which has nothing to do with the SIM card or the mobile networks.

Indeed you can use the SGN2 without a SIM card in it and still connect to any available wi-fi (just like your laptop or tablet).

But sometimes there are no wi-fi hotspots around (or they are locked).

This is where the mobile wi-fi thingy comes in... It creates your own personal wi-fi hotspot. You need a data (not mobile phone) SIM card and you pay for the data it uses. How much depends on which deal you can get.

In Portugal I cannot find a mobile phone contract which includes sensible priced data usage.You can get deals with unlimited calls and/or texts but they only include a "small" amount of data (up to 3gb) in these contract packages. If you go over this you pay a small fortune for each extra megabyte.

So, I have a data contract for the mobile wi-fi thingy of €31 per month which allows me 15gb per month at full speed and if I use that up, unlimited but much slower use until.the end of the month.

I have a pay as you go SIM in the phone (no money left) which allows me to recieve calls and texts but if I want to send texts or call out I use Skype through the wi-fi.

Hope someone finds the above useful.

This does clear up some of my confusion, in some areas,:Sad: I'm still puzzled..basically I want to be able to use the laptop (internet) and smart phone from the MH when were in Europe and at the best running cost .....Vodafone said I can use 'Vodafone traveller' using my existing Uk contract, in other words £3.00 per day charged daily if used is there a better opinion??

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i use any site that has free wifi or if not i have this sim in my Huawei E5331 mifi unit cost is E2.50 per day used.

http://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/europa-sim-only-full-size/

for calls we use BT's new Smart talk app on the mobile which allows you through the wifi to call on your phone to the UK using the same costs as your UK bt phone account. so if you have a BT phone account that covers all your normal calls including 0800 0700 0845 numbers all will be free even from outside uk.

but, you must have a BT phone account and be connected to the internet wherever you are.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
This does clear up some of my confusion, in some areas,:Sad: I'm still puzzled..basically I want to be able to use the laptop (internet) and smart phone from the MH when were in Europe and at the best running cost .....Vodafone said I can use 'Vodafone traveller' using my existing Uk contract, in other words £3.00 per day charged daily if used is there a better opinion??

I used the same option as that in France, works well.
£3 per day for phone /text/data is not bad for a few weeks a year and keeping the same numbers ect.
I did also find my vodaphone smarty fone worked well as a hotspot provider almost everywere.:thumb:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
i use any site that has free wifi or if not i have this sim in my Huawei E5331 mifi unit cost is E2.50 per day used.

http://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/europa-sim-only-full-size/

for calls we use BT's new Smart talk app on the mobile which allows you through the wifi to call on your phone to the UK using the same costs as your UK bt phone account. so if you have a BT phone account that covers all your normal calls including 0800 0700 0845 numbers all will be free even from outside uk.

but, you must have a BT phone account and be connected to the internet wherever you are.

Think I saw their stand at Peterborough on Friday, well crowded so didn't stop for any info. That's now £3 per day according to the website, what do you get for that 50mb, enough for emails and a bit of browsing?

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The one consistent thing as far as I am concerned is that the cost of data usage via the mobile networks, be it by smartphone or wi-fi thingy or dongle, is TOO HIGH... :Angry:

£3 per day... £27 per week... £108 per month?

Someone is having a laugh...

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Think I saw their stand at Peterborough on Friday, well crowded so didn't stop for any info. That's now £3 per day according to the website, what do you get for that 50mb, enough for emails and a bit of browsing?

hadnt noticed its now 3 euros a day not 2.50 :Doh: and i will need to check but i thought it was more than 50mb a day. but to be honest unless your streaming video or music and your just emails and browsing 50 should be plenty:thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
The one consistent thing as far as I am concerned is that the cost of data usage via the mobile networks, be it by smartphone or wi-fi thingy or dongle, is TOO HIGH... :Angry:

NEVER A TRUER WORKED TYPED:thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
i use any site that has free wifi or if not[HI] i have this sim in my Huawei E5331 mifi unit cost is E2.50 per day used.

http://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/europa-sim-only-full-size/[/HI]

I believe this used to be €2 or €2.50 a day for 100mb of data in Europe, excepting Italy where you got 500mb data allowance.

Last week on 17th April they changed the tariff for new customers, and you now must pay €3 per day for just 50mb data. It also costs you €39 to buy the sim card initially, and there is a €3.90 charge every time you top up your credit.

In view of that you might as well use Vodafone for £3 but with access to your full UK contract allowances, text, calls and data.

I agree that the BT Smart Talk app can be very useful if you are already a BT customer. (Wifi needed of course abroad to avoid data costs).
As well as using it abroad you can also make calls to 0800 numbers from your mobile for free with the App, as well as dialling 0845 and 0870 numbers at a cheap rate.

:Smile:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I believe this used to be €2 or €2.50 a day for 100mb of data in Europe, excepting Italy where you got 500mb data allowance.

Last week on 17th April they changed the tariff for new customers, and you now must pay €3 per day for just 50mb data. It also costs you €39 to buy the sim card initially, and there is a €3.90 charge every time you top up your credit.

In view of that you might as well use Vodafone for £3 but with access to your full UK contract allowances, text, calls and data.

I agree that the BT Smart Talk app can be very useful if you are already a BT customer. (Wifi needed of course abroad to avoid data costs).
As well as using it abroad you can also make calls to 0800 numbers from your mobile for free with the App, as well as dialling 0845 and 0870 numbers at a cheap rate.

:Smile:
thanks

i have asked motorhome wifi for clarification as their web site also says existing customers are not affected " What does that mean"? i wonder. i guess ill get to know on a reply tomorrow.

but as you say with those changes may as well be the £3 a day on my vodafone.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp

absolutely right but you only get charged for what you use : ie used on the Monday not used again till Thursday so charged for two days

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I find it ridiculous that as a PAYG customer on T-Mobile, I can get 24hrs internet access (fair usage) for 50p a day here in the UK, but would be expected to pay 6 x times that amount, if across the channel, and even then it would be limited. :whatthe: It's a downright rip off. :Angry:

Regards,

Jock.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
If you are signed up to BT broadband you will also be on their Open Reach wifi/FON service which covers France too.
Get a wifi booster --log in to local hotspots for free--use all you want :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back