Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Beat me to it Andy, I saw it on FON's Facebook page this morning but haven't stopped all day!

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
In simple terms
If you are not a BT customer this device for £34 plus postage gives you access to all BT FON and every other fon connections ANYWHERE
Just plug it in to your home router and register it.
It will share a small part of your own home broadband bandwidth with other fon users and in return you can use everyone else's

EDIT FON is a wifi network which is most effective with booster aerials as sold in Jim's shop and Adams Motorhome wifi outlet

Last edited:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
What is a Fonera?

If you would like access to the WiFi hotspots generated by BT Broadband Customers home routers in the UK and SFR-with-FON routers in France (plus more in Portugal and elsewhere) without having your home broadband with BT you can buy a Fonera.

To see a map of available hotspots, see: http://maps.fon.com/

It is a little wireless router that you plug into the back of your home broadband router in order to securely share a little bit of your internet connection with other FON users (like a co-operative). The chances of anyone else using it is probably fairly remote unless you live in a busy well populated area and the only consideration is that you have a limited broadband package. You also should leave it on when you go away, as it has a heartbeat to check its connected.

You can also use the Fonera as a WiFi booster and as a free public hot spot, separate to your home network, for friends and family.

Tip: When you created a FON account, you can actually use it in 5 different locations at the same time

Of course, having a WiFi booster helps massively (which is why we recommend the Fonera, as it allows customers to get more use from our products :Blush:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
So, how do I buy one? The site asks which country I live in....constantly, even after I've told it..
I assume this can be used in Europe the same as here with free access to all foreign Fon spots?

Allan

Edit..... seems I have to have a French postal address to purchase one. Is this right?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes Allan
I don't know the problem with buying? I have mine already

Did you enter your postcode? Seems alright here but I don't want to end up with another

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So, how do I buy one? The site asks which country I live in....constantly, even after I've told it..
I assume this can be used in Europe the same as here with free access to all foreign Fon spots?

Allan

Edit..... seems I have to have a French postal address to purchase one. Is this right?

Allan....just enter 'united kingdom' and it will let you in.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Ah, thanks. I entered UK, GB, England then got onto the French site where I couldn't enter anything but a Frence zip code.
All ordered now.
Allan

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Done, sitting here in Auckland New Zealand on the last full day of our 7 week holiday, saw this link and knew that others on here rate this product so thought it was worth a go. :thumb:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I had the same problem, it wouldn't accept my country. Tried UK, U.K. Britain, Great Britain even England. Then I tried from a different link and we were away with the mixer.

Thanks guys, I can always rely on Funsters to get me spending more bleedin' money........:thumb:

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I am a BT customer!, and have a Wifi booster for my M/H, but sometimes still cannot get any signal, would this help ?

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I am a BT customer!, and have a Wifi booster for my M/H, but sometimes still cannot get any signal, would this help ?

If you are already a BT Broadband customer, this product is not for you.

The Fonera stays at home, plugged into your active home router while you are away in your MH. It does not boost your signal, but allows you to access any BT-WiFi / FON hotspots you come across. As a BT Customer, you get this already.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
If you are already a BT Broadband customer, this product is not for you.

The Fonera stays at home, plugged into your active home router while you are away in your MH. It does not boost your signal, but allows you to access any BT-WiFi / FON hotspots you come across. As a BT Customer, you get this already.

Ok thanks, I find that even with one of your boosters there have been a few times around here that I cannot get a signal, I just wondered if this would help when in the M/H away from home.
We are heading for the north of Scotland in the spring, anybody know what the Wifi availability is like there?

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ok thanks, I find that even with one of your boosters there have been a few times around here that I cannot get a signal, I just wondered if this would help when in the M/H away from home.
We are heading for the north of Scotland in the spring, anybody know what the Wifi availability is like there?

A booster will only boost an existing signal, if there isn't anything to connect to then there isn't anything for it to 'boost'. The difficulty with FON sometimes is that peoples routers aren't always located on their upstairs windowsills in the direction your MH is parked and so its not always possible to say how far the signal will reach from the source.

Check out http://maps.fon.com to see the locations of hotspots in Scotland. If you're going to be wilding in the middle of nowhere though, the same is true of the above. I've heard good things about FON and Scotland, but depends if you will be stopping in villages where a signal might be available.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Fonera arrived today from its perilous journey from Madrid. All set up and working.
I would have liked to use the Fon App, but it seems to be only available on the US website!
Is there another app I can use to sign in automatically on my iPhone / iPad using Fon, or do I have to do it the old fashioned way, putting my user ID and password in?
Allan

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Fonera arrived today from its perilous journey from Madrid. All set up and working.
I would have liked to use the Fon App, but it seems to be only available on the US website!
Is there another app I can use to sign in automatically on my iPhone / iPad using Fon, or do I have to do it the old fashioned way, putting my user ID and password in?
Allan

I would recommend using your username / password combination rather than the App as in experience it is more reliable. Some times the 'App' takes over and can actually cause more issues then it solves. The App also won't work if you are connected via a WiFi booster.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Its out of stock again

I've just ordered mine £34 inc delivery:

"Woohoo!
Purchase completed!
We emailed you a receipt with purchase details.

Your Fonera will be delivered in the next 10 working days."

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Got my equipment to connect ok to the Fon network, and leaning out of the bedroom window, I can pick up a BT Fon hotspot. Connected to that straight away too. Shame no immediate neighbours have one, I could cancel my broadband contract and save a bit of cash!
Allan

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Got my equipment to connect ok to the Fon network, and leaning out of the bedroom window, I can pick up a BT Fon hotspot. Connected to that straight away too. Shame no immediate neighbours have one, I could cancel my broadband contract and save a bit of cash!
Allan

If you cancelled your broadband contract you would no longer have access. :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes still in stock you just have to type UNITED KINGDOM in the where are you box.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back