Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
we are taking the dog for the first time this year mid September and was looking for recommendations for a vet on the way back for the worming tablet.

will be via Calais.

also looking at the AHC for best price, as anyone used the online system with Abbeywell at Folkstone, seems to have good reviews.

thanks in advance

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017

I am not sure how up to date this is but it may be of some help.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Piggy backing this thread we are doing the same via the tunnel next month.

Can anyone tell me please what the procedure is when you arrive.

We have used the tunnel lots of times but never with an animal and I presume you have to go somewhere for the AHC to be checked. Is that before or after you go through customs?

And when they are checking the documents do you take the dog in with you?

My wife is stressing hence the questions.

Thanks in advance.

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
On both sides the animal is checked before customs, you take the dog in as they read its microchip and check against documents. Not used the uk side yet, but in the past the calais side is well signed and efficient.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
we are taking the dog for the first time this year mid September and was looking for recommendations for a vet on the way back for the worming tablet.

will be via Calais.

also looking at the AHC for best price, as anyone used the online system with Abbeywell at Folkstone, seems to have good reviews.

thanks in advance
Any vet can do the worming tablet on the way back - they don’t need to be an Official Vet to do so - but the closer they are to Calais, the more expensive they are likely to be. For recommendations, it depends which direction you are heading back to Calais from. We got our dog wormed in Germany, at a cheap but somewhat eccentric vet - Christian Marks in Bernkastel-Kues.

Lots of people have used Abbeywell vets for the AHC and they have an excellent reputation for accuracy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Piggy backing this thread we are doing the same via the tunnel next month.

Can anyone tell me please what the procedure is when you arrive.

We have used the tunnel lots of times but never with an animal and I presume you have to go somewhere for the AHC to be checked. Is that before or after you go through customs?

And when they are checking the documents do you take the dog in with you?

My wife is stressing hence the questions.

Thanks in advance.
You go to Pet Reception before you go through customs - it is attached to the main terminal building.

At Folkestone you take the dog in with you. At the Calais end there is also a drive-through facility, tho’ I’ve never used it.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
On both sides the animal is checked before customs, you take the dog in as they read its microchip and check against documents. Not used the uk side yet, but in the past the calais side is well signed and efficient.
T
You go to Pet Reception before you go through customs - it is attached to the main terminal building.

At Folkestone you take the dog in with you. At the Calais end there is also a drive-through facility, tho’ I’ve never used it.
Thanks Maz(y)

Reactions: maz
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
At Calais it’s a separate building, but very very clearly signposted, and clear English instructions once inside. REMEMBER to take your booking confirmation in with you. They need to know what train you’re booked on.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Buchy is the cheapest vet I have found for the worming and paperwork check. I was charged 8€ but at other vets I've been charged as much as 50€. So you don't go back.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Really nice friendly experience I had last time I was getting my boy Stanley checked. He slipped on the flooring his legs all spread out like Bambi on ice. I managed to lift him up onto his feet (everyone laughing and some filming) Anyway the girl behind the counter ran over to me and told me not to force him inside if he was afraid as she would come outside to us :h:

Gina

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
If you have an AHC, make sure the vet fills in the bottom of page 4 correctly.

We did Abbeywell for ours and a vet in Abbeville on the way back. She spent ages online and gave us a stamped correctly and signed sheet to say the right worming had been given. She didn't do the declaration on page 4 correctly. The jobsworth at Calais accepted the declaration but warned us never again....

OP
OP
AMK

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
If you have an AHC, make sure the vet fills in the bottom of page 4 correctly.

We did Abbeywell for ours and a vet in Abbeville on the way back. She spent ages online and gave us a stamped correctly and signed sheet to say the right worming had been given. She didn't do the declaration on page 4 correctly. The jobsworth at Calais accepted the declaration but warned us never again....
Did you find Abbeywell good to deal with, strait forward and all that.

Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
Did you find Abbeywell good to deal with, strait forward and all that.
Yes. Very easy. If they had space to take on more animal customers I might move my dog there as they are not far from where I live. Our current vets wanted £199 for the AHC on top of the rabies jab they did.

It all worked very well. We should have checked with Abbeywell which bit the French vet needed to complete as the lady vet that did his pet passport in 2019 hadn't a clue and they have no paperwork on dealing with the AHC. She had to google and check on the web!

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
I used Abbeywell in June and all went well. In and out in 5 minutes. I will definitely be using them next time I travel.
At Folkestone you just go through the booking in booths first and then park up in the waiting area and walk over to the Pet Reception that is attached to the main building.
You are probably best asking for worming suggestions when you know your route. I usually use La Mailleraye sur Seine as I like the Aire. In June it was E18 and E10 for the tablet.
Pet Reception in Calais is well signposted and you go there first.

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Agree re Buchy for return. Stayed at the municipal site at Forges les Eaux after visiting vet, also good Aire across road from municipal site. Short walk into town. Nice drive up to Aire at Boulogne Sur Mer to overnight then 30 mins to Eurotunnel.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I don’t know the declaration you mean, but if it’s fitness to travel it’s not needed , it’s only for unaccompanied animals, eg airfreight

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back