Filling water tank (1 Viewer)

andy74

Free Member
Mar 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own one yer
Hi all, i will be hiring a motorhome for the first to go to the le mans 24hr race and i want to know what would be the best way to fill up the fresh water tank as we will not be near the main water point to connect a hose. As this is probably our only time doing this im looking to keep the expense down to minimum.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
:hiya2: w2f

Watering can?
Fill up at a tap on the way in or at a service station?

Depends whether your filler is an open filler point or has a fitting used to pump water in or via a hose.

Some campsites will let you fill up for a small fee even if you are not staying there. Aires usually have water taps.

The next issue is where you are going to dispose of the waste water. Where you are staying may have a dump point otherwise a bucket will do for dropping it down a drain.

The hirer will be able to let you know in advance

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Most people use a hose and may also have a watering can to fill with when they can't get close to a tap, I have quite a large van with a 160ltr fresh water tank so can last a week and a half if i'm by myself before I need to refill, I don't drink water from the tank but use it for cooking, and washing etc.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi all, i will be hiring a motorhome for the first to go to the le mans 24hr race and i want to know what would be the best way to fill up the fresh water tank as we will not be near the main water point to connect a hose. As this is probably our only time doing this im looking to keep the expense down to minimum.
A couple of 10 litre water cans and some muscles. Good for a work out and cheaper than the gym.

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Hi,

Your best bet will be to buy 3 x 5 litre water bottles from the supermarket on your way down to Le Mans. Then with those and a 0.5 litre water bottle, adapted by cutting a hole in the side, used as a temporary funnel you’re good to go with minimal expense. It’s exactly what I do and it’s works perfectly.

Enjoy your time at Le Mans it’s brilliant.

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
I always use 5 lire bottles of water from the supermarket.

You know what you're getting then. Some of the campsites' hoses and taps have been used for some less than hygenic purposes.

On our MH we can fill the water tank from inside the MH.

Not that expensive in the grand scheme of things (and we have bottled drinking water on board)

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Hi
We are off to Le Mans too , Beausejour site
On the way down I fill 25liters from home (5x5l watering can ) this should see you ok if you don’t shower enroute
First thing when you arrive at LM24 is fill to the top with water,(100 litres ) you will need 5m of hose pipe , there are lots of taps around on the sites ( you might need some sort of adapter but someone will lend you one )
I don’t like travelling with a full tank (some do !)
Take a watering can with you !

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
The collapseable ones are lightweight to carry around until you need water. 🤔

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
Some useful ideas here

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Some useful ideas here

Mine doesn't have a detachable spout.
Fill up the collapseable body, carry to van, pull rigid spout out from body, this releases cut off valve in base, and then pour.

Refill, keep spout closed, screw on cap and keep full, unspillable, container in cupboard if needed? 👍

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Another vote for watering cans , used a pound shop one for years.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
These are the dogs doo-dahs:

They are amazingly strong, each carries 10 litres, and they fold down to nothing when not in use. Cheap too. Have been using them for some time now when not near a tap and couldn't be bothered to move.
Interesting, how easy are they to pour from at shoulder height? Do they squish as they empty making them difficult to hold? That's the issue we've had with types of compact 'cube' ones in that they end up with you wrestling a jellyfish!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Interesting, how easy are they to pour from at shoulder height? Do they squish as they empty making them difficult to hold? That's the issue we've had with types of compact 'cube' ones in that they end up with you wrestling a jellyfish!
I have a 'style' that involves holding the bag on your shoulder and tipping into a funnel in the filler hole. Amazingly never spilt any on me :ROFLMAO:

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
I mostly use a watering can. And make sure you get one with a fairly large spout so it pours out reasonably fast,makes filling a lot quicker.

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Really easy, and they are surprisingly stable to pour because when filled they provide a hand-hold underneath.

They do 5 litre bags, same design, if you think 10 litres is too much to handle. I carry 2 x 10 and 2 x 5 litre bags, and when empty they take up no space at all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back