External refillable gas bottle outlet placement? (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2023
Wallsend, UK
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Atessa
Exp
Since 2011 on and off
Hi Funsters, looking for advice regarding the placement of an external filling outlet for a refillable gas system (Gasbank). I want to place it in the skirt of the motorhome but it is close to the vehicle exhaust outlet? Would this be an issue?
Any help would be appreciated

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I definitely wouldn't fit it anywhere near an exhaust, when you disconnect the gun you often get a bit of liquid gas coming out, you could get a nice fireball.

Fit a longer inlet hose and fit it away from the exhaust or on the other side of the vehicle.

OP
OP
Steviemo747
May 12, 2023
Wallsend, UK
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Atessa
Exp
Since 2011 on and off
I definitely wouldn't fit it anywhere near an exhaust, when you disconnect the gun you often get a bit of liquid gas coming out, you could get a nice fireball.

Fit a longer inlet hose and fit it away from the exhaust or on the other side of the vehicle.
Thanks for the info

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Fit it on the same side as the diesel filler point if you can.
It should be on the opposite side of the van to the fridge vent (or at least 2-3 feet from the vent).
Not near the exhaust.

Unless you are a limbo dancer or want to practice your yoga moves then:
You want it as close to waist height as you can get,
certainly above knee height, and below shoulder height,
but thigh to breast height is usable.

With the correct fittings, you can install the external filling inlet in the gas locker door.
There is at least one professional gas fitter on this forum who refuses to install this option.
There is at least one professional gas fitter on this forum who recommends this installation option.

You do not want any joins or kinks in the hose that are internal that are not in the vented gas locker.
LPG is heavier than air, so any leaks, no matter how small, must drain out to the ground.
Do not be tempted to put the hose through the van, into the false floor, or voids between the walls for example.

You gas locker should have at least one drain to the ground.
(If you put an inspection lamp inside and close the door, there should be a light under the van somewhere)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Really bad practice and should not be done.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think it depends on the door and who fitted and how they fitted it.

My van had this done, using armoured hose, by a very professional outfit, who are regular users of this forum.
I have also seen the identical set up, done by others to the same model of van as mine.

The main advantage is that it puts the fill point and all the hosing into the gas locker.
So if there was a leak, it would drain.
(Also it would only leak during the filling operation, as gas does not go up the hose the wrong way)

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think it depends on the door and who fitted and how they fitted it.

My van had this done, using armoured hose, by a very professional outfit, who are regular users of this forum.
I have also seen the identical set up, done by others to the same model of van as mine.

The main advantage is that it puts the fill point and all the hosing into the gas locker.
So if there was a leak, it would drain.
(Also it would only leak during the filling operation, as gas does not go up the hose the wrong way)
We do install the filler in the door but only as a last resort.
Personally I hate them in the door , I would also recommend you change hoses every couple of years especially if it’s a stainless steel hose .
I can promise you that once you have seen hose burst while you’re filling you will never install one in the door again.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If it's a stainless steel hose it is about the worst type you can use for an installation like that. A rubber hose is far safer.

Dec 23, 2023
Chatham, UK
Funster No
MH
Rimor 95 P Plus
Exp
I'm Newbie
Thank you
Is your Gasbank cylinder a single fill/supply outlet as per the attatched pic. If so according to the pro fitters on here it is not possible to fit an external filler point. Perhaps you better check before buying a filler point and cutting holes!
Gasbank cylinder.png

OP
OP
Steviemo747
May 12, 2023
Wallsend, UK
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Atessa
Exp
Since 2011 on and off
Is your Gasbank cylinder a single fill/supply outlet as per the attatched pic. If so according to the pro fitters on here it is not possible to fit an external filler point. Perhaps you better check before buying a filler point and cutting holes!View attachment 874743

Is your Gasbank cylinder a single fill/supply outlet as per the attatched pic. If so according to the pro fitters on here it is not possible to fit an external filler point. Perhaps you better check before buying a filler point and cutting holes!View attachment 874743
Hi, was looking at the Gasbank duo system which allows for an external filler point

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back