Electrical socket to garage! (1 Viewer)

Sep 27, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 630mlt
Exp
Since September 2017
Hi people- A while ago we decided we needed a socket in the garage for some reason or another!🙄! Started to fit socket which was ok’ish but didn’t know how to connect it up! Thought I might piggy back it from one in the habitation area then decided against that and left it!! Anybody got any ideas how to go about it properly?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
As others have said BUT make sure it's a flex cable (also as mentioned by others but easy to forget) NOT standard household single copper conductor cable ....

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
My preference is to run it in blue arctic grade 3 core flex. This is a petty good way to mark it as mains power, xo it never gets confused with 12v DC. Most vans have loads of white cables, and the DC colours vary between motorhome makes. It just adds a little extra safety. Use P clips or trunking to protect the wire

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Just check you are not putting a spur from another soured socket. As mentioned it's not a ring. I helped out someone on a rally with EHU a few years ago who was having trouble with the power tripping. Turned out it was the third spur daisy chained down the van (converted by previous owner), and she was running a kettle and toaster down the same 1.5. MCB on the well concealed distribution unit under the base of the wardrobe kept tripping. Couldn't fix it there and then except to say use one or the other, but suggested she got sorted that she did.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just check you are not putting a spur from another soured socket. As mentioned it's not a ring. I helped out someone on a rally with EHU a few years ago who was having trouble with the power tripping. Turned out it was the third spur daisy chained down the van (converted by previous owner), and she was running a kettle and toaster down the same 1.5. MCB on the well concealed distribution unit under the base of the wardrobe kept tripping. Couldn't fix it there and then except to say use one or the other, but suggested she got sorted that she did.
Won't make any difference normal van wiring only has one MCB for all the sockets. Brit vans tend to fit a 16 amp MCB, German vans a 10amp MCB.
A toaster and a kettle is lightly to trip the site outlet anyway.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
But as I thought I stated, this was someone elses conversion she had bought so by the state of the wiring, electric's was not the converters first skill. This had a small about 6way distribution board.

I don't believe the OP mentioned if it was another conversion or a branded van, so thought worthwhile to flag it up as a just in case. My apologies if anyone, or everyone thinks I was wrong to do so.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
2dandaddy
Sep 27, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 630mlt
Exp
Since September 2017
Normally use 1.5 mm² flex in Motorhomes it's not a ring.
Hi people- sorry to bother you again but how on earth do you feed cable through the Motorhome! Was thinking I’d use socket on left hand side of habitation door but can’t find a way of feeding cable from garage osr door along to habitation door.
One other thing- how do you remove socket assembly without damaging socket/ recess?🥴🤞

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Hi people- sorry to bother you again but how on earth do you feed cable through the Motorhome! Was thinking I’d use socket on left hand side of habitation door but can’t find a way of feeding cable from garage osr door along to habitation door.
One other thing- how do you remove socket assembly without damaging socket/ recess?🥴🤞
It will all depend on layout of your van but looking how other wires have been run may help.

As for sockets prise the silver surround off then you can unscrew the socket and pull it out to get to wies at rear.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It will all depend on layout of your van but looking how other wires have been run may help.

As for sockets prise the silver surround off then you can unscrew the socket and pull it out to get to wies at rear.
either at the back of furniture or down through a hole, either into double floor or along chassis and back up into the garage. If you do the latter, sleeve it in flexi conduit and label it every few feet to prevent future owners having accidents

As above the outer frame pops off revealing mounting screws on Hymer installs

Upvote 0
OP
OP
2dandaddy
Sep 27, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 630mlt
Exp
Since September 2017
either at the back of furniture or down through a hole, either into double floor or along chassis and back up into the garage. If you do the latter, sleeve it in flexi conduit and label it every few feet to prevent future owners having accidents

As above the outer frame pops off revealing mounting screws on Hymer installs
Thanks guys!

Upvote 0
May 14, 2019
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2019
Hi people- A while ago we decided we needed a socket in the garage for some reason or another!🙄! Started to fit socket which was ok’ish but didn’t know how to connect it up! Thought I might piggy back it from one in the habitation area then decided against that and left it!! Anybody got any ideas how to go about it properly?
Since you have a Hymer, you will probably find that the mains socket connections are linked with Wago Winsta Midi plugs and sockets. The image below is from the back of one of my sockets and shows the cable into the Winsta.
SocketByWindowAndConnectorSmall.jpg

You can get plug and sockets with single and double wire inputs. You could insert a short cable into the feed to one of your sockets/plugs (just need a Winsta socket and plug) and then run the second cable out to the new socket. It makes it easy to add without even cutting into your existing wiring and stays consistent.
You can get the Winsta's from CPS or similar, e.g. Winsta Midi
As Lenny says, use 1.5mm² flex with these plugs/sockets.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back