Electric or Mechanical Drop Down Bed (2 Viewers)

Gadgets78

Free Member
Mar 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
looking just now
I’m guessing this question may split opinion but what is the better option, mechanical or electric drop down beds.

I said in another post we are looking for our first motorhome. There is 4 of us and two dogs so space will be important. Having a drop down bed is a good option for this reason.

However, when looking at them recently they are getting mixed reviews. Also it’s not easy when trying to figure out what the weight limit is for two people. A lot of the time it says refer to the label on the bed. Which is not easy when doing research on the internet. I’ve seen some drop downs say their limit is 150kg, others 250kg, how can there be such a weight difference. Surely most beds are made the same?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I was under the impression that most mechanical ones were in A-classes where it hinges down from above the cab. And most electrical ones were in semi-integrated coach builds where the bed drops down into the lounge?

Upvote 0
Mar 12, 2021
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
carthago e line 64xl
Exp
We had an electric one in our elegance and was great but worrying when it would not go up now got a carthago with a manual one and takes a good hard push to put it back up but no worries it will stick down and prevent you driving although taking the fuse out the electric one when down is a good anti theft deterant

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Personally I would go for a mechanical one, most of the electric mechanisms are Project 2000, nothing they make seems reliable.

I think drop down beds in a standard CB are a waste of time as you lose the lounge when the bed is down. Unlike an A Class where the lounge is still useable bar the front seats when the bed is down.

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Got two. Centre bed above the saloon area. Also got the rear one electrified as well. This means that for travelling, we can take tall stuff like bikes in the garage and then drop it down once stopped. I am an old git. I don't want to climb a ladder into bed.

Not had any problems yet (five years), but I would advise four things.

1. Silicone the runners and oil the motor annually.
2. When raising the bed, help the motor by pushing the bed up. The motor runs easier with even a small amount of support.
3. Test the manual winding mechanism. If your motor fails and the bed won't go up, it could make your trip every uncomfortable.
4. Have a cordless drill with a winder bit to do the manual winder. I have tested this and one battery charge raises and lowers the front bed six times.

Upvote 0
Sep 9, 2022
Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
We have a 6mtr motorhome with a drop down bed so here's my thoughts.
Would I want two more people in such a space NO. Where do you put their luggage? The extra cushions that are required to make up the lower bed would take up more luggage space. You'd all have to get up or go to bed at the same time. When the beds are made there's little floor space available. Our bed has been powered up and down nearly every day for 6 years but it will break one day.

For just the two of us it's fine but I would prefer fixed beds.

Tip:
Always carry an electric drill so you don't have to wind it manually when the motor fails.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
I was under the impression that most mechanical ones were in A-classes where it hinges down from above the cab. And most electrical ones were in semi-integrated coach builds where the bed drops down into the lounge?
I think this is correct. We’re in the process of buying a semi integrated coach built (Adria Matrix) which has an electric drop down bed. Given the choice, though, I would rather go with a manual drop down, but we could only find those in A class vans.

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Regarding the bed weight limit, our centre bed is rated at 150. That is seriously tested by my two boys! The bed is odd shaped, and there is a weak spot on the ladder side, where there is a corner, that is probably the reason why it is rated 150, rather 250 kilos. The bed used to bend as the eldest got in. Also, the mattress is a dual layer memory foam , which doubled the weight of the mattress. I am pretty sure the occupied front bed is over 150 kilos

What I did was got some 3" polished ally pole and cut it to length. Added two end stoppers and then added a circle of stick-on padding until the length was exactly right. See pics. Now the bed is solid as a rock.
IMG_20240307_081141_935.jpg
IMG_20240307_081340_899.jpg

Upvote 0

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
We had an electrical drop down in a Burstner, the control unit failed and I was quoted over £1000 for repair, manufacturer would only supply dealer not direct. I ended up reverse engineering the control unit and making a new one for around £100.

I would want a manual drop down if I was looking.

Cheers
Red.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
Ours is electric and slow - but would choose mechanical if I needed it at all, in the previous van we didn't have the drop down but an extra skylight and better stowage which I much preferred.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We have a manual overcab bed in our N&B Arto 'A' Class and I am pleased that is not electric. The MH is over 20 years old and no problem with the manual, but I doubt an electric one would have gone that long without a problem.

I am pleased that all we have that is electric are steps, water pump, fan for heating and lights.

KISS

Upvote 0

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Our 2001 A class Pilote has a manual forward mounted drop down bed. As it comes down it pivots forward over the instrument panel. A simple set up with four levers assisted by two gas struts.
Most electric ones I have seen are in the centre and raise and lower vertically with screw jacks. Not sure how that could be made to be purely manual.

Upvote 0

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Personally I would go for a mechanical one, most of the electric mechanisms are Project 2000, nothing they make seems reliable.

I think drop down beds in a standard CB are a waste of time as you lose the lounge when the bed is down. Unlike an A Class where the lounge is still useable bar the front seats when the bed is down.
Conversely if the bed is stuck down...

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp

Also, when the bed drops through the lounge, often the overhead lockers are reduced or even absent.

We're limited to 6m due to drive length. Getting a stubby A-class instead of a semi-integrated coachbuild with the equivalent layout ment quite a lot more storage. As Lenny mentioned, being able to use the lounge while the bed is down was the justification for the extra spend on the A-class. It was well worth it. The fact that bed is mechanical is a minor bonus.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Bailey
We have a 6mtr motorhome with a drop down bed so here's my thoughts.
Would I want two more people in such a space NO. Where do you put their luggage? The extra cushions that are required to make up the lower bed would take up more luggage space. You'd all have to get up or go to bed at the same time. When the beds are made there's little floor space available. Our bed has been powered up and down nearly every day for 6 years but it will break one day.

For just the two of us it's fine but I would prefer fixed beds.

Tip:
Always carry an electric drill so you don't have to wind it manually when the motor fails.
What is the correct drill attachment for the electric drill. I have a Bailey Approach Compact 540 and the electric motor won’t get the bed up without a LOT of help. I can see there is a hole for a manual winder but no idea what drill attachment I need. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The only drop down bed I would ever consider would be one with a very simple mechanical hinge, held up in the up position with a seatbelt style clasp. With the only additional mechanism being dual gas struts.
Even if one or both gas struts give up you could still use it. Seen this style in lots of A classes and I like it.

I really don't like adding complexity to something so basic but essentials.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
This guy shows the mechanism I like and it is so simple very little to actually go wrong.

Upvote 0
Sep 9, 2022
Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
What is the correct drill attachment for the electric drill. I have a Bailey Approach Compact 540 and the electric motor won’t get the bed up without a LOT of help. I can see there is a hole for a manual winder but no idea what drill attachment I need. Thanks.

The Project 2000 beds fitted to Roller Teams require a piece of hexagonal bar. This fits nicely into a drill chuck.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back