EHU Issue Electrical Expert Needed (1 Viewer)

missbusybusy

Free Member
Nov 27, 2011
Northampton
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie again
Guys one for you Electrical experts

Tried to work it out but got confused (easily done I know)

We have had an issue when the trip on the EHU post kept tripping ,
On the EHU posts this one had four out lets, each one had its own trip switch
My question is are each of the single points fed by a single cable ?
or
do does the posts get get fed by one big cable and then this splits when it gets to the post for each socket ?

Would this be the same for additional posts for the next pitches ?

Thanks

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
one large cable will supply all 4 trips/sockets each of which has a preset current limit. If the trip in your van is tripping then you may have a problem, if it is the trip on the post then you are almost certainly exceeding the permitted supply, i.e. drawing too many amps in total.

OP
OP
missbusybusy

missbusybusy

Free Member
Nov 27, 2011
Northampton
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie again
one large cable will supply all 4 trips/sockets each of which has a preset current limit. If the trip in your van is tripping then you may have a problem, if it is the trip on the post then you are almost certainly exceeding the permitted supply, i.e. drawing too many amps in total.

So the cable has spurs from it ?
Will the cable then go on to feed another post ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
by rights it shouldn't but in theory it could feed another post but it all depends on what budget the installation had.
in an ideal world each hook up post would have 3 blue sockets on and if point 1 failed under normal circumstances it wouldn't disable the other 2
but costs for installing such a system are quite high.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
So the cable has spurs from it ?
Will the cable then go on to feed another post ?

Your house will be on the same cable as all the houses locally but this should not have any effect on the integrity of your supply. Sockets on campsites will be wired up in in
a similar manner. Each box should have its own overall "fuse" and each socket should also have its own "fuse".

If the mains supply has sufficient capacity and the cables are adequate and well maintained then there should be no problem.

However weather protection is not always good with campsite electrics and damp can often cause problems with electrics in the boxes and in your own extension lead.

What you need to do is check each stage of the electrics, one by one.

Check electrical devices for problems and wattage, internal fuses for capacity and integrity, mh ehu socket, extension lead (try another!) and then try another box somewhere else on the site to see if the problem still persists. If it appears to be a general site problem then only the owner can sort the matter out.

Generally I find that the electrics on good quality EU sites is much better than it used to be and I find few problems. Even the dreaded reversed polarity is less general these days.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if it is the smaller trip which trips then oo determine just what is tripping the post start by plugging in the hookup lead and unconnected from your van.
no trip....lead probably ok.

turn off the main breaker and all the other trips in your van.
connect hookup lead.
no trip...continue

turn on the main breaker
no trip...continue

turn on each trip in turn until the post trips

when it trips have a look at which circuits are on so you get an idea which circuit was overloading the post....charger, sockets, electric water heater etc

if it,s the larger breaker which trips you probably have an earth fault which needs investigating.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
MCBs aren't perfect

The incoming cable would feed something called a bus bar which is basically a strip of copper. All miniature circuit breakers (MCBs) in the power post would get their live supply from the same bus bar and then provide the "fuse protection" to each socket.

MCBs are not perfect and one Type A MCB may perform different to another Type A MCB from the same production batch i.e one may trip more often then the other when presented with the same load.

So... try another socket. If the problem follows you then you are either overloading the rating of the MCB or you having a wiring fault in your motorhome or hook up lead.

NB overloading a MCB is easy when you're out on your travels... especially if you have brought a kettle or iron from home:Blush:

6 amp @ 220v is 1320 watts
10 amp @ 220 v is 2200 watts
16 amp @ 220v is 3520 watts

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
The incoming cable would feed something called a bus bar which is basically a strip of copper. All miniature circuit breakers (MCBs) in the power post would get their live supply from the same bus bar and then provide the "fuse protection" to each socket.

MCBs are not perfect and one Type A MCB may perform different to another Type A MCB from the same production batch i.e one may trip more often then the other when presented with the same load.

So... try another socket. If the problem follows you then you are either overloading the rating of the MCB or you having a wiring fault in your motorhome or hook up lead.

NB overloading a MCB is easy when you're out on your travels... especially if you have brought a kettle or iron from home:Blush:

6 amp @ 220v is 1320 watts
10 amp @ 220 v is 2200 watts
16 amp @ 220v is 3520 watts

Of course when talking about power posts I should have said "normally" as I've seen some really worrying installations that could have only been carried out by complete numpties. Lastly when outside of the the UK all bets are off - regard each EHU with suspicion and wear rubber boots and gloves!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We have three phase electricity into the site. The supply goes to a small building which houses meters and master switches and fuses. The it is distributed to three areas. Each area is on its own phase. Each phase is distribution box.

Each distribution box supplies each post individually via underground armoured cable.

Each post has a hidden RCD and then has a visible RCD of a lower value and four MCBs The visible ones are re-settable by the user. The hidden RCD and the switches on the distribution posts are not accessible by the public.

This way we can shut down the site, and area or an individual post should there be a problem or if we don't like you? (Welsh people during England V Wales matches for example :winky:)

Eddie

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Lastly when outside of the the UK all bets are off - regard each EHU with suspicion and wear rubber boots and gloves!

We were in Lloret when we had a thunderstorm which tripped the supply. Fetched the guy from reception who then proceeded to poke around in the box, in the pouring rain while stood in a puddle. Braver man than me:Doh:

OP
OP
missbusybusy

missbusybusy

Free Member
Nov 27, 2011
Northampton
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie again
ummm
so if a site has a row of 12 RV,s with 3 EHU posts each with 4 sockets on would the furthest post have seperate 4 wires going to it ?

and 4 seperate wires for each of the others and so on ?

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
ummm
so if a site has a row of 12 RV,s with 3 EHU posts each with 4 sockets on would the furthest post have seperate 4 wires going to it ?

and 4 seperate wires for each of the others and so on ?

Well that all depends.

More often than not the power post would have a single supply i.e. a 40 amp supply. But this would be dependant on the length of armoured cable, the number of cores, the cable size, the rating of each MCB, the number of sockets and some calculations undertaken by the electrician using the latest design guides. On site the cable may loop into one post and loop out to the next. There are many variables but unless you're designing an electrical circuit for your own campsite this should be of no concern to you.

Anyone wanting an electrical design should employ an electrical design consultant.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Anyone wanting an electrical design should employ an electrical design consultant.

That's what the owner should have done on our site, instead of listening to the so called "leccy" 16x16amp EHU's all on a single 60amp supply.

Ian

OP
OP
missbusybusy

missbusybusy

Free Member
Nov 27, 2011
Northampton
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie again
thanks all, now I understand a bit more !! knowledge Is power they say ?
problem was down to the cable, wire corroded inside of plug and intermittent connection if angled the wrong way

cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back