1. MotorhomeFun The best Motorhome Club in the World

Register to remove adverts Register Here

Welcome to Motorhome Fun

MotorhomeFun is a large community of motorhome and touring enthusiasts. Our website is the busiest of its kind. It serves as a meeting place for thousands of members who share their knowledge of motorhomes and travel, as well as arrange rallies in the UK, Europe and beyond.

It's easy to join us and takes just a minute

Double Glazing

Discussion in 'MOTORHOME CHAT' started by duane0001, Mar 6, 2013.

1. duane0001

duane0001 Read Only Funster

2. journeyman

journeyman Read Only Funster

No practical experience yet!!!!!!

I had a look on the auto sleepers forum, they report no major issues, just use a external silver screen on the windscreen. They mentioned an MMM review in 20008, when the van first appeared in which the author suggested it MIGHT be a problem with condensation. They suggest this was unfounded. Unless other members have seen problems?

Looks the same as my impending purchase...pick up on tues...wetting myself!
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  3. alfandM

alfandM Funster

Hi, I do believe you are talking about the side living area windows,if this is right then yes it will matter, as in autumn and winter use and spring you will find that single glazed window will give condensation and when cooking or boiling a kettle they are also a night mare, when we lived in America we had a RV for our travels nice rigs but hek what a night mare for producing condensation,i personnel y would not even go near a single glazed unit, and specialy at todays prices, hope this answered your question, Alf
  4. journeyman

journeyman Read Only Funster

Auto-Sleepers's sales manager, Dave Clarkson, in his posting on the MHF thread:

"...In reply to your enquiry regarding the windows fitted to the Warwick, these are single glazed athermic glass, the properties of the athermic glass means that they act in a similar way to double glazing, in other words warm air from inside the vehicle is kept away from the cooler external air temperature. We have been manufacturing with the athermic glass for over 5 years with no complaints of condensation. When the Warwick was first launch the perception was that these windows would cause condensation issues, however this was soon dismissed when on test with the press.

Also added is the privacy tint to allow greater privacy when moving around the internal of the vehicle, as the tint is designed to be clearer when looking out rather than when looking inside the vehicle.

Also the use of the window van with the factory fitted bonded windows offer's greater security over the standard double glazed acrylic windows offered by our competitors, whilst also giving you a greater amount of vision throughout the length of the vehicle from inside.
    Externally these windows offer a more aesthetically pleasing view of the vehicle, making this model look sleeker and longer than a standard panel van..."

I don't think they will be effective as double glazed, but when buying, everything's a compromise, including the price.
    1 person likes this.
  5. duane0001

duane0001 Read Only Funster

Apocalypse

I have thought about the single glazed glass windows
    In the event of an apocalypse it would be much harder for the zombies to get into the van with proper laminated bonded windows, I would imagine they would rip off my plastic double glazed windows, climb in and eat my brains.

What do you think?
    2 people like this.
  6. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Funster

We don't have any double glazed windows and havn't found it to be a problem, sure they mist up a bit when cooking etc but so will double glazed ones, they soon clear and we have never had it so bad that they get dripping wet even if they did ours have drain holes through to the exterior, it's all a matter of a combination of correct ventilation and heating and preventing cold spots in the van, I will add that we do have a source of heat below most of our windows so this helps. Our caravan that we bought new at the end of 2006 and lived in for just over 5 years was terrible for condensation especially on the front windows , again I cured the problem by providing a heat source below them, I certainly wouldn't waste my money on double glazed units if I were to build another motorhome.
  7. Minx

Minx Funster

Nom, nom, nom, nom, nom, nom nom .... :Rofl1:

For those that don't recognise the above, one Saturday evening last year we were travelling back home and listening to the Radio 2 show by Alan Carr and Mel Sykes, at the time they had a caller on for one of their daft quizzes and one of the questions was something like "What would it sound like if a zombie was eating Alan". They obviously expected the chap to do an impression of Alan screaming but instead he did the noise that the zombie would make whilst actually eating him .... as the chap must have recently seen the Jumbone advert on TV where the dog makes a contented noise whilst chomping away, the chap just came out with the same 'nom nom' noise from the advert - it was absolutely hilarious, especially since they kept playing it again and again - we were in stitches!
  8. Terry

Terry Funster

You need therapy :Smile:
    Terry