Don't forget VAT situation for disabled (1 Viewer)

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
If people have genuine disabilities (no bad backs, sorry bad back sufferers but it can be a good excuse for some as you cant see it) they should be VAT free.

If you see the price of disabled aids to start off its unbelievable.

People with chronic deteriorating problems should not have to live in fear of the VAT man its b*llox.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If people have genuine disabilities (no bad backs, sorry bad back sufferers but it can be a good excuse for some as you cant see it) they should be VAT free.

If you see the price of disabled aids to start off its unbelievable.

People with chronic deteriorating problems should not have to live in fear of the VAT man its b*llox.
That was not the question John
In order for the Vat man to demand/claim back the Vat due, the claim would have to be deemd fraudulent
he can not possibly ask for Vat back from a genuine claim, and the details to qualify are clearly laid out,its the chancers and dodgy dealers who will fall foul, not the genuine disabled
Geo

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Maybe slightly off topic Geo:Blush:

I should have said already in receipt of higher rate mobility (not many chancer get that believe me) you are eligible automatically for a motorbility car so why not VAT free if you wish to buy yourself?

You are also entitled to VAT free servicing and parts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

subaru

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Funster No
some dealers say that all you need to receive zero vat is be in receipt of higher rate DLA.

Is the customer supposed to know what paperwork is needed when the dealer insists you only need the DLA form? and they encourage you to go ahead, they even mention it in the first place.

It seems an easy way for dealers to make a quick buck and then pass the outcome onto the customer.

I feel the dealers should be more responsible on this matter.

carpyone

Free Member
Mar 28, 2008
Needingworth, Cambs
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
When I started looking for a M.H last year I visited many dealers, all but one thought we would meet the Vat exemption criteria. My wife has progressive MS. She has to use a wheelchair when out of the house, she was in receipt of the highest Disability Living Allowance for her care and the highest level for the mobility component and was in receipt of the Severe Disabled allowance as she is more than 80% mentally handicapped.(Note Severe Disabled Allowance is no longer payable to new applicants but existing recipients continue to receive it.).This I could prove with the necessary paper work and my GP would confirm the medical facts.

Why I asked did the one dealer say no, his reply surprised me. He would prefer to lose a sale than have to put up with all the aggravation and hassle he would have to go through with the local Inland revenue Department. I can now understand having read this thread.

Sadly for me in March my wifes condition deteriorated to the point where I could no longer care for her at home and she was admitted to a Nursing Home under the NHS Continuing Care arrangements. As such I felt it would have been dishonest of me to apply for Vat exemption, though some dealers suggested I could. In the end I bought a MH that was only 18 months old,and the previous owner took a dive in depreciation which for me was much better than the Vat element on a the same new model.

An aside and a quirk of the system.
With Diane receiving the highest level of the mobility component we used it under the Motorbility Scheme for several years to provide our daily transport needs. When she was admitted to the Nursing Home I phoned them to ask what to do about the car thinking I would have to return it. NO they said, I would still need to use it to visit her and to take her out when possible or to go shopping for her personal needs like clothes etc. In July the three year lease was up on the car so I expected them to decline renewing, No they said again, go and order your next new car.
As Diane is funded under NHS continuing care she lost the DLA care component and the Severe disabled component but retains the mobility component as they cannot meet an individuals needs.
For quite a while I felt quite guilty about using the car, but on reflection I realised that for the twelve years I had spent as the sole carer for my wife, having given up work at 50 and received the princely sum of £45 a week as carer allowance I had save the powers that be over £50,000 a year for those twelve years as that is the cost now that they pay to look after her in the Nursing Home.

Having said all that I would give it all up to have my wife back with me in a healthy state.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Hi Robert don't you dare feel guilty mate.

I was a fool not taking carers allowance till a couple of years ago and wheres it got me?:Doh::RollEyes:

If I had my time again there's so much i would do differently.

I have chatted with you for quite a few years now and know how devoted you are to your wife.

Fancy you becoming a motor homer too!:winky:

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi

No one who knows me would ever say thay I am a "religous" man, In fact most would say the oposite. However:-

"there, but for the grace of-------Go any one of us"

I wish the B----------ds who ABUSE the system and make life hard for the others could be somehow made to see the error of their ways, either that Or, "please Mr Blair, can I have my Gun(s) back?".

pete

P

Patrick49

Deleted User
Having worked for C&E (now HMRC) in the field of VAT for a long number of years before I escaped a couple of years ago, I would point out this - it doesn't matter a toss what HMRC says, it's what the LAW says that matters. Any ruling given to you by HMRC is only their opinion of how the law framed by Parliament was intended to operate, and naturally it will normally be slanted towards their wishes. What they've done here is put a tighter restriction on the qualification for zero rating because of some large scale abuses. It doesn't necessarily mean their opinion would be upheld at Tribunal, it would be interesting to know if the current restriction has been challenged.

Oct 13, 2008
Funster No
Exp
Maybe slightly off topic Geo:Blush:

I should have said already in receipt of higher rate mobility (not many chancer get that believe me) you are eligible automatically for a motorbility car so why not VAT free if you wish to buy yourself?

You are also entitled to VAT free servicing and parts.

How do you go about getting that? do you have to claim the VAT back?

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Hi,can a disabled person get a motorhome/campervan like they can get a mobility car for three years.

Simple answer no,and you can only get a vehicle tax free if you are a wheelchair user,you will be asked to provide proof,(doctors letter) hope this helps a bit:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back