Dogs on Santander or Bilbao ferry (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2023
Weymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
DIY Transit
Exp
On first long trip
Am I missing something, or is it nigh-on impossible to take dogs on these ferries? Would like to do it, to save lots of driving from Weymouth to Spain via Calais. But it seems you can't travel unless you book a 'pet-friendly cabin' and, looking at their availability calendar, there are almost none available in the next few months. So is it, practically, not an option?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Am I missing something, or is it nigh-on impossible to take dogs on these ferries? Would like to do it, to save lots of driving from Weymouth to Spain via Calais. But it seems you can't travel unless you book a 'pet-friendly cabin' and, looking at their availability calendar, there are almost none available in the next few months. So is it, practically, not an option?
Don’t have a dog now but when we did we used the kennels if a dog cabin was not available.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Out of interest I just had a look and downloaded the availability for cabins and kennels which tells you how many and when, why not try and do that.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.

We had one booked for June this year, now changed as we are not taking the dog. Only managed to book it on the day dates were released last July. There is always a very high demand for them and the kennels too.

We signed up to the notification emails from Brittany. The email dropped into my inbox one morning and I leapt out of bed and booked it immediately 🤣. On checking a couple of days later there was no pet cabin availability on our chosen crossings.

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
We regularly take our dogs to Santander and Bilbao on the Ferries. But pet friendly cabins need to be booked a year before your travel dates. They are always heavily in demand. There are also kennel vacancies on most of the sailings. But for us, we can't leave our babies (Frenchies) in them. We crossed recently to Santander (January 2024) and every pet friendly cabin was taken. The kennels were completely empty. Unfortunately we can't use the kennels- It's way too stressful for our dogs. But that's just us, lot's of dogs do travel in the kennels, its down to you and what you think your dog can tolerate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
AlanandMayya
Nov 30, 2023
Weymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
DIY Transit
Exp
On first long trip
Out of interest I just had a look and downloaded the availability for cabins and kennels which tells you how many and when, why not try and do that.
I did, as I said; availability seems to be virtually nil. Above replies seem to confirm that - booking a year ahead, and leaping on Emails saying there is now one vacancy. I dont think kennels are going to work for us with a 20 to 32 hour crossing with restricted visiting rights as they describe - Jess the Jack Russel would go beserk. Just seems odd that they have room to carry more cars and people (plenty of slots to book) but are not interested in taking passengers with dogs (it seems the pet friendly cabins are special - they have laminate flooring - how hard is it to install a few more?). It seems so un-commercial I thought I was missing something. But it seems not. I see on the Cherbourg ferry you can leave them in the vehicle - that would be just about OK for the 5-hour crossing. But it saves a lot less driving - from Weymouth to Murcia the time and cost savings are almost exactly nil. I'd happily pay these guys hundreds of Pounds over the Tunnel price to sail with them; instead I will spend hundreds of Pounds on diesel and tyres. Disappointing.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
The way that I’m reading these posts I get the impression that it’s the dogs owners who don’t fancy the kennels not the dogs, we had three different dogs over the years and all of them said that the kennels were fine.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
I did, as I said; availability seems to be virtually nil. Above replies seem to confirm that - booking a year ahead, and leaping on Emails saying there is now one vacancy. I dont think kennels are going to work for us with a 20 to 32 hour crossing with restricted visiting rights as they describe - Jess the Jack Russel would go beserk. Just seems odd that they have room to carry more cars and people (plenty of slots to book) but are not interested in taking passengers with dogs (it seems the pet friendly cabins are special - they have laminate flooring - how hard is it to install a few more?). It seems so un-commercial I thought I was missing something. But it seems not. I see on the Cherbourg ferry you can leave them in the vehicle - that would be just about OK for the 5-hour crossing. But it saves a lot less driving - from Weymouth to Murcia the time and cost savings are almost exactly nil. I'd happily pay these guys hundreds of Pounds over the Tunnel price to sail with them; instead I will spend hundreds of Pounds on diesel and tyres. Disappointing.

Having had cause to be on a vehicle deck whilst a Ro Ro ferry is underway at sea I personally wouldn't leave our JRT down there. The noise and vibration is quite something, five hours is a long time to endure that.

I know the Shuttle can be noisy too, we normally cross using it but at least then you are with your pooch...and it's for a much shorter time.

(Just my thoughts though for what they are worth).

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
You make a lot of relevant points here. We have done a number of trips with the dogs left below deck in the motorhome for up to 5 hours without visiting them. They have generally been OK with this. We have left them with food, drink, familiar bedding, toys etc. But you must realise there are a lot of unfamiliar noises around them on the vehicle decks - the noises might cause them stress.

In the kennels the noises and stresses are different. They will have many, often very large dogs barking around them. They cannot escape. They are locked in cages that they have never seen before. For our dogs, we cannot enjoy our trip in these circumstances. If we have to accept the kennels because of high demand for alternatives we will sit with them for the duration of the crossing on the dog poo deck.

For us, the dog friendly cabins are an absolute must on the longer voyages. If we can't get one we generally don't travel by Ferry and look for alternatives.

I'm sure that there will be many who will saying that you are too soft. My answer is - you don't know my dogs or their conditioning. So don't assume that your big dog will be able to live with a severely bitten nose if he/she comes close to my highly stressed frenchie whose priority is to look after his brother.

OP
OP
AlanandMayya
Nov 30, 2023
Weymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
DIY Transit
Exp
On first long trip
You make a lot of relevant points here. We have done a number of trips with the dogs left below deck in the motorhome for up to 5 hours without visiting them. They have generally been OK with this. We have left them with food, drink, familiar bedding, toys etc. But you must realise there are a lot of unfamiliar noises around them on the vehicle decks - the noises might cause them stress.

In the kennels the noises and stresses are different. They will have many, often very large dogs barking around them. They cannot escape. They are locked in cages that they have never seen before. For our dogs, we cannot enjoy our trip in these circumstances. If we have to accept the kennels because of high demand for alternatives we will sit with them for the duration of the crossing on the dog poo deck.

For us, the dog friendly cabins are an absolute must on the longer voyages. If we can't get one we generally don't travel by Ferry and look for alternatives.

I'm sure that there will be many who will saying that you are too soft. My answer is - you don't know my dogs or their conditioning. So don't assume that your big dog will be able to live with a severely bitten nose if he/she comes close to my highly stressed frenchie whose priority is to look after his brother.
I agree, they are all individuals. Laska probably wouldn’t notice the noise or other dogs, and would sleep through the whole thing. Jess would go onto Blue Alert and bark furiously for the full 20 hours. We’ll just stick with the tunnel.

Nov 15, 2023
North London
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SP Aut
Exp
Since 2008
I booked a Pet cabin 2 weeks ago for 19 April 2024 Portsmouth to Bilbao after looking at their spreadsheet for cabins on their website - daily

It’s my new dogs first time so would not put him into the kennels he still gets stressed about being transported in the motorhome, despite being in it from 4 months old. It all depends on your dog. Yes I have been the poor person with her quilt camping in the kennels with my old dog when I couldn’t get a cabin - things you do for your mate.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I like dogs but don't want to sleep in a cabin where someone has allowed a furry baby to sleep on the bed and leave doggy oders everywhere. Or meet Their little flea friends who use dogs as public transport and stay behind.for a cruise

It's supply and demand once a dog has been in a cabin its use is restricted it cannot go on open sale. More people travel without dogs

But saying that kid cabins should all be located on one floor so they can run play and make as much noise as they like without disturbing kid free travellers.

Someone said the kennels are often empty ...now there's a thought. :wink:

Nov 15, 2023
North London
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SP Aut
Exp
Since 2008
I like dogs but don't want to sleep in a cabin where someone has allowed a furry baby to sleep on the bed and leave doggy oders everywhere. Or meet Their little flea friends who use dogs as public transport and stay behind.for a cruise

It's supply and demand once a dog has been in a cabin its use is restricted it cannot go on open sale. More people travel without dogs

But saying that kid cabins should all be located on one floor so they can run play and make as much noise as they like without disturbing kid free travellers.

Oh dear you don’t like dogs, my fur baby has his own bed but I would asked Brittany Ferries if the bedding used in Pet Cabins is exclusively for those cabins🤣🤣

Agreed on the kids though🤣🤣

Just booked a return ferry from Bilbao on 16 May 24
bonus PET cabin💕💕

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
I’d rather sleep with my dog in a cabin than sleep with some idiots I can mention.

Cabins are clean and would presume the blankets get changed but hang on no they smell of dog……

Not.

Oct 5, 2021
Tropical Skelmorlie
Funster No
MH
Globecar 5.4 Shine
Exp
Since 2013

Agreed! The solution is dog-free and kid-free ferries. That would be bliss. Or dog-only/kid-only ferries, where like minded people would undoubtedly enjoy the mayhem.

Not going to happen, I know, but at least some campsites have their heads screwed on properly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back