Do People buy vans 'requiring attention'? (1 Viewer)

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
After our recent european debacle, where I managed to spend three days in a French hospital having an operation on a badly mangled hand, limping home after waiting 10 days whilst unable to drive, eventually got going with OH changing gear, we called in on friends on the way up country, whilst the van was in a layby outside their house someone clipped the back and put a groove in the garage door and took the whole of the rear body panel/bumper off, lights and all, breaking it in to several pieces. Kind person drove off and has been untraceable.

Ordinarily I would have dealt with it perhaps seeking out plastic welder and doing all the prep myself.

However circumstances make me wonder if it might be better to sell the van to someone willing to take on the repairs?

I will be in and out of hospital for some time and am likely to lose 60% use of left hand

Van is 1999 Hymer B574 can't get body panel as replacement, insurance claim probably not a good idea as it will impact on our other vehicle insurances.

Was looking to upgrade van next year anyway (probably an auto now)

I know I will have to take a big hit on selling price but we won't have the worry of it over the winter.

ps it was still a great holiday, still laughing at the indignity of being taken 40 miles to hospital in a French Fire engine in my swimming cossy, not a pretty sight!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Yes, people do buy, if the price is right.. see plenty on ebay 'requiring attention' or sold for spares or repair..

I'd put it on ebay with plenty of pictures and an honest description.. and have a realistic reserve price.. ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
Yes they do is the simple answer.
Put an ad on here, someone would have a great project.

Good luck with the recovery, good you can smile about it.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I much prefer to buy a van that is in need... Saves a LOT of money if you are able to sort things out your self ( and I know for a fact I am far from the only person thinking that way !! )

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
Part exchange it against an auto, tell the dealer that it is a non recorded accident, the dealer will get it repaired at cost, motorhome repaired as good as new, no record of it if anyone does a HPI check, so should not effect future resale values.

That is what I would do, Just my opinion (y)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Van is 1999 Hymer B574 can't get body panel as replacement, insurance claim probably not a good idea as it will impact on our other vehicle insurances.

It may not impact on your other vehicles. I had a claim on my car and my van insurance dropped by £10 the next year, That was through the C&CC

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
After our recent european debacle, where I managed to spend three days in a French hospital having an operation on a badly mangled hand, limping home after waiting 10 days whilst unable to drive, eventually got going with OH changing gear, we called in on friends on the way up country, whilst the van was in a layby outside their house someone clipped the back and put a groove in the garage door and took the whole of the rear body panel/bumper off, lights and all, breaking it in to several pieces. Kind person drove off and has been untraceable.

Ordinarily I would have dealt with it perhaps seeking out plastic welder and doing all the prep myself.

However circumstances make me wonder if it might be better to sell the van to someone willing to take on the repairs?

I will be in and out of hospital for some time and am likely to lose 60% use of left hand

Was looking to upgrade van next year anyway (probably an auto now)

I know I will have to take a big hit on selling price but we won't have the worry of it over the winter.

ps it was still a great holiday, still laughing at the indignity of being taken 40 miles to hospital in a French Fire engine in my swimming cossy, not a pretty sight!
How much?? o_O

OP
OP
bhs

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Had a minor collision but no no claim incident 3 years ago and car insurance is still being loaded despite protected no claims, thats why I'm wary

Van has lots of new bits this year including engine and air con rads, tyres, water pump, we were going to head right down south. Don't know what to ask, stands me in around £17000 I know I will lose loads, did try local dealer as straight purchase but they suggested ebay too! Will take some pics and perhaps offer it on classifieds here.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
What a nightmare. Your right to be wary of putting things through your insurer. Things like protected no claims bonus is a huge con. All the insurance company does is load up your premium & if you look at other insurers the protected no claims evaporates & is not honoured by other companies. I'm liking the idea of trying for a trade in against another motorhome. Most dealers would be quite happy to take it off your hands & for whoever buys the vehicle it'd be an all round winner.

Here's hoping you get the situation sorted out to your satisfaction.

OP
OP
bhs

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Problem with doshing out more money on trade in is two fold, finding a van which suits and not knowing if I will be mobile enough to use it!
About the only thing I can do one handed at the moment is surf the internet! (no comments thankyou) Brilliant for not washing up, not gardening, not shopping, not decorating and being not popular around the house!

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
There are people who will buy it. My nephew bought a non runner, failed MOT very old Hymer and got it back on the road, so there must be others out there.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
About the only thing I can do one handed at the moment is surf the internet! (no comments thankyou)
Forget the no comments :sneaky:
So your trying to tell us it's so big it needs two hands? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Good luck with the MoHo, selling as is and premium bond the cash till your fit is a good idea I think :notworthy2:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Your genuine, reason for sale genuine...if van as equally genuine you will easily find a buyer as they are always popular:)

Put it in the classified section on here and preloved, local Gumtree. All cost nothing...

OP
OP
bhs

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Got 10 days before Op! Will sort advert promptly, thanks everyone for cheering me up!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Find the average price for your van in undamaged condition. then the cost of repairs, double cost of repairs and take off the undamaged price. This is a realistic value

I buy motorhomes and caravans and do them up cosmetically before reselling. Pictures of the actual damage would be very helpful, as I may be able to give a guesstimate on cost. It is likely that having it repaired locally makes more sense financially. then sell on in good order with more cash towards your new auto van

OP
OP
bhs

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
We are a bit rural here and I can't drive the van at the minute! Here are a couple of pics, looks allright at first sight but the whole bumpery bit came away, there are bits of the plastic missing but we collected all we could find!
bumper1.jpg
bumper2.jpg
bumper3.jpg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
That bumper I would get remade in fibreglass using the plastic parts to create the mould. The creases in the metal, get filled and painted

Probably about £800 - £900. Plastic welding could be done cheaper but as you say parts are missing, it would be difficult. Maybe weld the big cracks then rebuild the damaged parts with fibre mesh and plastic filler. The finished job would be weaker though

places like eeco would likely have a mould already, thinking about it, so worth a phone call and email with pictures. that should save a bit

OP
OP
bhs

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Hoped no one would ask! On a lovely site on the Quiberon Neck, alongside beautiful beaches, was taking dogs for a walk through the site to where they could be off lead, the dogs are big boys, usually gentle and calm, had one of them on an extending lead, nylon type rope, typical of your awkward French motorhomer, one of them had a catflap, and cats !!

Harold saw the cat, I didn't, I heard the unravelling sound of the lead, tried to disintangle myself, too late, 29kg of hairy Harry and the lead left my fingers/ hand in quite a mess, French pompiers summoned, very efficiently collected all the bits, 40 mile ride in Fire appliance, two tones and all!

Within 2 hours was in operating theatre being stitched back together, 5 stars to the French health service, 10 out of ten to the friendly helpful peoples on the campsite, two fingers to the French cat lovers!

OP
OP
bhs

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Thanks Big 1 will I find Eeco online?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Wow, hope your hand heals eventually. :eek:
Looking at the pictures I would call in at your local bodyshop for them to have a look see before I did anything drastic. I would imagine 100% of cars have plastic 'bumpers' these days so the lads will be well used to working on them.(y)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Drive to Morocco in your van you WILL get it repaired for under a grand

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Drive to Morocco in your van you WILL get it repaired for under a grand
have seen a morrocan repair to a plastic panel. metal rods melted into plastic across the break then filled and painted. doubt it will remain effective long term due to expansion, contraction rates of materials used differing

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
have seen a morrocan repair to a plastic panel. metal rods melted into plastic across the break then filled and painted. doubt it will remain effective long term due to expansion, contraction rates of materials used differing
They do do small repairs like that, I smashed my front bumper in two in Morocco in Feb this year, cost me £48 to have it fibreglassed and re sprayed, result I'd say, although to be fair, smashed it again when I hit a block of ice in the Atlas Mountains!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back