Dipping our toes into European Adventures (1 Viewer)

Dec 2, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Sunliving S60SP
Exp
Just completed our First Overnighter
Good Afternoon Fellow Adventures
Happy New Year to you All

After having Maurice The Motorhome for 4 years we are ready for our first experience of adventures in Europe this year. This is after our furry travelling companion passed over the rainbow bridge.
We are planning to get the ferry to Santander in May. Then we will drive back up through France for approx 2 weeks and then the ferry back to Portsmouth. We are going on this adventure with friends who also have a Motorhome.

Then in September after I become 60 and retire from work, will be working part-time though, there is only so much I can spend 24:7 with Mrs W :giggle:
We are hoping to go to Germany in September for another 2 week road trip.
So I am after some help with planning our first road trip there. I have seen articles/vlogs about the Romantic Road. Would this be a good idea to follow for our first adventure? Or do people recommend another route?
Any recommends where to visit, stop and camp?
Any ideas will really appreciated

Thanks again for your help

John

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
For Germany, you may want to take a look at this thread in covid times with different people trying different parts of Germany.
It takes a few pages of covid information to sift through but probably worth it for different peoples aspects of a first or second time visit

Another useful tool is the journal and a link to the full continental map. Just scroll in and again different people have stopped in different places and left a ditty with photographs

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
For your trip to Germany in September, personally, I would travel the Mosel from Trier to Koblenz and back as it will be wine festival time and it's just a lovely part of Germany as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
So I am after some help with planning our first road trip there. I have seen articles/vlogs about the Romantic Road. Would this be a good idea to follow for our first adventure? Or do people recommend another route?

We did the Romantic Road trip in Autumn of 2022. Really enjoyed it. We took about 2 weeks to do it. If you like exploring historic towns/villages/castles with beautiful scenery/vineyards/rivers then you would enjoy it. We didn't plan any stops, just took it day by day. There are lots of 'Stellplatz' motorhome park ups along the route with water/toilet emptying facilities.

OP
OP
JohnnyRoyal
Dec 2, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Sunliving S60SP
Exp
Just completed our First Overnighter
Thanks very much for your replies and advice.
Time for me to buy a map of Germany and mark some routes! 🚐👍

Suenliam

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 14, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion CV40
Exp
20+
I know it depends on how you want to spend your holidays, but for us only 2 weeks to get from Santander to Caen/Le Harvre does not seem very long. The distance without diverting off Motorways or N roads is about 650 miles which would not leave you much time to explore villages, towns or attractions. However, you might like driving longer distances at a go than us.
If we only had 2 weeks we would go Portsmouth/Caen return and explore the Loire valley, but that's just us!
Enjoy your trip.
Sue

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I know it depends on how you want to spend your holidays, but for us only 2 weeks to get from Santander to Caen/Le Harvre does not seem very long. The distance without diverting off Motorways or N roads is about 650 miles which would not leave you much time to explore villages, towns or attractions. However, you might like driving longer distances at a go than us.
If we only had 2 weeks we would go Portsmouth/Caen return and explore the Loire valley, but that's just us!
Enjoy your trip.
Sue
As you say everyone is different. We went from Calais via Lyon to the med along the Mediterranean coast over the Pyrenees to the Atlantic coast and back via the Loire in a couple of weeks and stopped off a fair bit on the way. In the ops case it's about 50 miles a day hardly pushing it!

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
If you are (semi) retired, why the 2 week limit ?

For Germany, book the Stena line Harwich/Hook of Holland ferry now.
As the later you leave it the higher the prices.
Get the overnight one, which means you can leave home mid afternoon, pootle to Harwich and then sleep in a bed in your cabin overnight and you will be in Germany in time for a late breakfast.
(Way more pleasant than the Dover/Calais ferries and faster as well!)

We aim for Green Camping at Braubach on the Rhein for the 1st night.

The Romantic route is an excellent way to go. Rothenberg is special.
As would the Mozel, Trier is worth a couple of days.
(You wont do both in two weeks)

On the way back we spend the last night at Delft
It gives you the day to wander around town and then catch the night ferry to the UK and you will be home in time for lunch.

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Good Afternoon Fellow Adventures
Happy New Year to you All

After having Maurice The Motorhome for 4 years we are ready for our first experience of adventures in Europe this year. This is after our furry travelling companion passed over the rainbow bridge.
We are planning to get the ferry to Santander in May. Then we will drive back up through France for approx 2 weeks and then the ferry back to Portsmouth. We are going on this adventure with friends who also have a Motorhome.

Then in September after I become 60 and retire from work, will be working part-time though, there is only so much I can spend 24:7 with Mrs W :giggle:
We are hoping to go to Germany in September for another 2 week road trip.

Thanks again for your help

John
Can’t recommend the mosel route strongly enough . Worth a gander

Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
We did the Romantic Road trip in Autumn of 2022. Really enjoyed it. We took about 2 weeks to do it. If you like exploring historic towns/villages/castles with beautiful scenery/vineyards/rivers then you would enjoy it. We didn't plan any stops, just took it day by day. There are lots of 'Stellplatz' motorhome park ups along the route with water/toilet emptying facilities.

A bit cheeky but don't suppose you would be willing to share your actual route and stops would you as I only have two weeks and notice that is what you did it in?

Many thanks

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
One of the things I’m most looking forward to about retiring is not being constrained by the 2 weeks. I’ve no idea what length of trip will suit us and I always feel that it’s not quite the same after the half way point but, in your shoes, I might consider 3-4 weeks of you can?

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
We actually just made it up as we went along, we didn't have a plan or a time schedule as we were out for 2 months.

Having looked back more carefully we actually took 11 days from the day we landed in France to Fussen at the end of the route.

We got the evening ferry to Dover stopped at Gravelines overnight. Then it was 11 days. You could take longer or do it quicker depended on how many times you stop to explore and how long you explore for.

Route to Romantic road:

Day 1. Gravelines in France. Free Aire just outside town
Day 2. A lot of driving but ended up at a nice Stellplatz in Deudesfeld just inside Germany
Day 3. Visited Bernkastel-Kues on the Moselle and then stopped the night at Stellplatz near the River Main in Seligenstadt.

Romantic route.

1. Wurzburg - motorhome stellplatz near the leisure centre. 15 mins walk into town (About 10 euros I think)
2. Tauberbischofsheim - parked by the swimming pool (Free)
3. Bad Mergentheim and then on to Rothenburg ob der Tauber for the night- Big motorhome/car/lorry car park.
4. Dinkelsbuhl and then Nordlingen for the night Motorhome Stellplatz just outside the walled town.
5. Harburg and then Ausburg - Stellplatz
6. Kissing parked near the lake
7. Landsberg am Lech and then Schongau stellplatz inc services. 8 euros
8. Fussen Neuschwanstien Castle- Expensive for a Stellplatz at 20 euros but did have toilets and showers.

We found most park ups from park4night, Search4sites or google maps I think.

Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
We actually just made it up as we went along, we didn't have a plan or a time schedule as we were out for 2 months.

Having looked back more carefully we actually took 11 days from the day we landed in France to Fussen at the end of the route.

We got the evening ferry to Dover stopped at Gravelines overnight. Then it was 11 days. You could take longer or do it quicker depended on how many times you stop to explore and how long you explore for.

Route to Romantic road:

Day 1. Gravelines in France. Free Aire just outside town
Day 2. A lot of driving but ended up at a nice Stellplatz in Deudesfeld just inside Germany
Day 3. Visited Bernkastel-Kues on the Moselle and then stopped the night at Stellplatz near the River Main in Seligenstadt.

Romantic route.

1. Wurzburg - motorhome stellplatz near the leisure centre. 15 mins walk into town (About 10 euros I think)
2. Tauberbischofsheim - parked by the swimming pool (Free)
3. Bad Mergentheim and then on to Rothenburg ob der Tauber for the night- Big motorhome/car/lorry car park.
4. Dinkelsbuhl and then Nordlingen for the night Motorhome Stellplatz just outside the walled town.
5. Harburg and then Ausburg - Stellplatz
6. Kissing parked near the lake
7. Landsberg am Lech and then Schongau stellplatz inc services. 8 euros
8. Fussen Neuschwanstien Castle- Expensive for a Stellplatz at 20 euros but did have toilets and showers.

We found most park ups from park4night, Search4sites or google maps I think.
thank you so much. Thats really helpful. It's such a shame we can only do two weeks

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
thank you so much. Thats really helpful. It's such a shame we can only do two weeks
You can do it in less time if you can’t extend.
In a 2 week trip we did this …
We travelled from Scotland to Hull, sailed to Rotterdam, dropped son in Dortmund later that day then stopped near Koblenz.
We then meandered down the Mosel, cut over to the Romantic Road and headed via Rothenburg ODT to Fussen. We then drove the Alpenstrasse ending up at Chiemsee.
From here we picked son up at Regensburg, headed back over to the Mosel for a couple of nights then up to the Netherlands to get our Busbiker fitted.

Here’s the thread with photos ..,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back