computer scam??? (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Anyone heard of Blue Mist??, my 80 year old dad was on his PC the other day and a popup came up that said his version of windows was fake, he clicked on it and within seconds had a phone call from Blue mist technologies saying they could fix his PC for a price, he told them he wasnt interested and put the phone down, within seconds they called again and said they were from Microsoft and convinced him to spend £425 on a lifetime subscription to keep his PC clean:mad: I've called them to cancel but they are saying they will only refund £295 because they had ''cleaned'' his PC, now I think they are just bloody scammers but don't know where to go from here:confused: any idea's???

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Really don't know.
I reckon you will be pressed to get anything back....even the £295.
Blue mist....more like Scotch mist.

Best I can suggest is you educate your dad into not clicking anything in an e-mail or pop up no matter what it is.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Found this which appears to be the same scammers and includes a report phone number.

If you believe you have already been a victim
  • Get your computer checked for any additional programmes or software that may have been installed.
  • Contact your bank to stop any further payments being taken.
If you have been affected by this, or any other scam, report it to Action Fraud by calling 0300 123 2040, or by using our online reporting tool.

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/news/watch-out-for-microsoft-scam-calls-to-fix-your-computer-jan15

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Thanks guys(y) already contacted the bank and cancelled the card, and although he paid by credit card they say not fraud because he gave out the details willingly:confused: and I have told him loads of times to not buy from cold callers and run everything by me:doh: I just hate the fact these parasites are getting away with this sort of stuff:swear2:

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Friend fell for the same scam and got his money back from the bank, speak to them in person at the branch, if they still have one.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

This website uses cookies. You can manage or block these using your browser settings Link Removed

Skip to content

• Report Fraud
  • Link RemovedLink Removed
    You are here
    Home
    /
    News
    /
    Watch out for “Microsoft” scam calls to fix your computer
    Watch out for “Microsoft” scam calls to fix your computer
    5th January 2015

Link Removed
    Computer Software Service Fraud involves victims being contacted by telephone and told that there is a problem with their computer and for a fee this can be fixed.

The National Fraud Intelligence Bureau (NFIB) which assesses Action Fraud reports has said that between June 2014 and November 2014 there were over12,000 reports that were categorised as a Computer Software Service Fraud. Analysis of those reports suggests that callers purport to be from a variety of organisations such as Microsoft, TalkTalk, BT as well as more generic sounding organisations such as the ‘Windows Technical Department’.

They also said there was a total reported loss of£691,446 with some victims losing up to £6,000.

How does the scam work?
    Victims are cold called, usually by phone and told that there is a problem with their computer and for a nominal fee the suspect can fix it. The suspects often claim to be working with Microsoft who have identified that the computer has been infected with a virus and offer an update or fix.

The victims are talked through the logon steps in order for the fraudster to gain remote access to the computer. The victims will then often witness the mouse moving and changes being made to the display. They then pay a fee (anything between £100 and £300 has been reported to Action Fraud) and are told the problem has been resolved. Once the initial payment has been processed it is not uncommon for additional larger payments to be debited from the victim’s account without their permission.

In addition to charging a fee to fix the computer, in some instances programs are also installed that allow the fraudsters unlimited access to the computer without the victim’s knowledge. This permits them to have access to information such as personal data as well as view online transactions so that further illegal activity may to be carried out.

Who is most likely to be affected?
    Victim reports assessed by the NFIB indicate that:
    • The average age of a victim is 59.
    • 91% were White (English, Welsh, Scottish, Northern Irish, British).
    • 53% were female.
    • The average reported loss is £210.
    • Anyone who has a home computer connected to the internet can become a victim.
    How to protect yourself
    • Do not allow remote access to your computer.
    • Hang up the phone when you identify that the call is uninvited.
    • Never divulge passwords or pin numbers.
    • Microsoft or someone on their behalf will never call you.
    If you believe you have already been a victim
    • Get your computer checked for any additional programmes or software that may have been installed.
    • Contact your bank to stop any further payments being taken.
    If you have been affected by this, or any other scam, report it to Action Fraud by calling 0300 123 2040, or by using our online reporting tool.

Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed
Action Fraud is a registered trademark ®

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I suggest that you write to them pointing out the facts and what @pyro said . Plus ask them why Faor Isaac FALCON system failed to identify the transaction as being suspect. And have they shared this 'suspect ' merchant wiith the rest of the industry.

Contact
Barclays Bank
6px8wB0P_normal.jpeg
Mr Jes Staley Chief Executive

Email jes.staley@barclays.com

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Personally I would exhaust the normal processes before approaching one of the bosses. Simple Section 75 issue, as said previously, it is a routine matter of explained in terms they will understand, e,g,:

My father was defrauded by a dishonest trader, who misrepresented themselves as agents of Microsoft, who falsely claimed that his computer was corrupted and who took money off him for services they failed to provide

The credit will be immediate and the scammers probably won't even contest it. Otherwise a simple online claim will resolve

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Welcome. Hopefully that will work.

If not, then you have two choices, either appeal to those higher in the food chain (in which case they will probably treat it as a banking complaint which gives then weeks/months to fluff about before writing you a pathetic customer relations letter and inviting you to take it to the FCA) or clapping in an online money claim.

Actionfraud? If you want to wait a couple of years for them to get around to doing anything. Underfunded and inefficient in my experience

Much as I respect the FCA, I find the courts quicker, cheaper and more effective. However, I very much doubt it will get that far

Last edited:
OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
According to their website they have a 30 day money back guarantee.

Is your work guaranteed?

At Bluemist we guarantee your satisfaction and ensure that we render best quality, cost effective services to you. By any chance if you don't like our services we guarantee 30 days money back to you.

http://www.bluemisttechnologies.com/faq.php

Yes but you try to get it, refused pointblank to give it all back:mad:

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Immaterial now, you have the money back, you have complied with the requirements of S75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, and the bank have honoured their obligations

A lesson learned at no cost is priceless. Glad it's over

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back