Comparison Of The Noza Tec Truck Sat Nav And The Garmin Camper 760 Lmt-d. (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As we possess both devices I decided to use our recent three week trip to Lincolnshire & East Anglia (knowing that we would be using a mixture of roads) to compare their performance. Not a fully scientific test, more a hands-on user experience.

Software.
The two devices, not surprisingly, have differences in the user setup options and the map displays. Both are reasonably easy to use with the degree of learning that would be expected with a tool of this type.

The Garmin tends to use smaller roads more readily than the Noza Tec, a factor which is probably due to the fact that the Noza Tec software has overriding defaults rather than using the vehicle dimensions input. I had noticed on a previous trip that it ignored a perfectly usable road with a 7.5 tonne weight limit even though the vehicle profile weight was 3.5 tonnes. It appears that the Garmin, being a Camper edition, is more accurately oriented to leisure vehicles and the actual dimensions input.
Having said that, both devices route via roads which might be uncomfortable for some drivers. They will use bus routes (which are obviously wide enough for a motorhome) but some bus routes in more rural areas run along narrow roads which can be a challenge especially when vehicles are parked at the roadside and/or large oncoming vehicles are met. It is always a good idea, in an unfamiliar area, to do a bit of preparation and checking in advance if possible (using the Philip's Navigator Camping and Caravanning Atlas or Google Maps for instance).

The projected arrival time displayed by the Noza Tec tended to be more accurate than that of the Garmin. That is something which seems peculiar to Garmin devices as I had noticed a similar “optimism” with a previously owned car sat nav.

Both devices offer free lifetime map updates but experience has shown that the Noza Tec ones are not 100% reliable (something being explored with the supplier). The Garmin also offers lifetime traffic reports.

Hardware.
The Garmin has a screen which is more readable in bright sunlight, presumably the result of specific design rather than use of a general purpose tablet as with the Noza Tec.

The Noza Tec is much slower in picking up satellites than the Garmin.

Conclusion.
To an extent it is a matter of personal preference as both devices are perfectly usable if their peculiarities (or features) are taken into account. The Noza Tec certainly wins on price. The Garmin is rather less value if one has to pay the RRP rather than a much lower offer price.

As we have invested in both devices then it does come down to personal choice in our case and we will be using the Garmin as first choice.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've been in touch with the supplier about the maps as the current downloadable Truck and Common sets are the same (no ".ftr" truck specific file included):
I have just been to your web site to download the latest UnitedKingdom maps for my Truck Sat Nav from http://www.elitefashion99.co.uk/truck-map-for-gps-navigators.html but noticed that only four of the five required files are available. The truck specific ".ftr" file is not there, just the four files which are provided as the Common Maps for all sat navs.
Could you please advise me as to when the truck specific file will be available.
and received a quick reply:
I have consulted my superior and she told me that you can just keep the original ".ftr" file and replace the other old files.
Please have a try.
I copied the four files over (version United_Kingdom_2014.Q4_150302) and deleted the four old UK ones, leaving the .ftr file as it was. I then planned a route and it appears to work (avoided a narrow road as I would wish).

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
+++++
The projected arrival time displayed by the Noza Tec tended to be more accurate than that of the Garmin. That is something which seems peculiar to Garmin devices as I had noticed a similar “optimism” with a previously owned car sat nav.
+++++

Funnily enough was loading a number of routes pre-prepared in Garmin BaseCamp onto Garmin 760 just a few minutes ago and most (if not all) have reduced travel time on the sat nav when compared to BaseCamp!

Compared a couple of the route directions on both and, albeit the wording is different, they appear to be showing the same road routing.

Can only assume this is as a result of me having set up individual customized road type speed options in BaseCamp which can't be done (or I haven't found out how to yet) in the sat nav.

Not greatly concerned as I'll be basing journey times on the BaseCamp data and the sat nav should adjust accordingly throughout the journey.

ps good comparison review.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Interesting review, and I'm not sure the Dezl 760 takes much notice of vehicle dimensions when in the motorhome mode. Mine is set at 4 tonnes, 8ft wide 8m long and 3.2 metres high.
Driving through Rouen a couple of months ago, it insisted on directing me down an underpass with a 2.5 m height limit!
I didn't go.........
I couldn't get on with my Noza though

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The Garmin arrival time accurate its just your driving to slow and it can't handle it:)

(that was a joke)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The Garmin has a screen which is more readable in bright sunlight, presumably the result of specific design rather than use of a general purpose tablet as with the Noza Tec.

that was the main reason for returning the Noza Tec.. compared with the Garmin it was dull and barely readable in bright light.. even with it's sunshade.. never test drove it as it didn't pass the first test.. ie.. Could I see it..

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
that was the main reason for returning the Noza Tec.. compared with the Garmin it was dull and barely readable in bright light.. even with it's sunshade.. never test drove it as it didn't pass the first test.. ie.. Could I see it..
Very much a matter of personal preference I think, Jim. My comments were based on real world tests (even if not scientific :)) and whilst the Garmin is more readable than the Noza Tec my own experience is that it is more than barely readable.
Seeing comments in the last few days got me thinking about whether anything could be done to prevent sun glare. Yesterday I bought an iPad Mini screen protector from Poundworld and cut it down to fit. I intend testing it out on our next trip (hopefully next weekend).

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I'm quite happy with my Noza Pick as it has got me down to Benidorm with no problems, and I was able to see the screen ok without the sun screen.

John.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I only say as I found Graham... . and while I never tested it's navigation prowess I tested it in a real life situation.. ie in the van..

Disappointed with the screen, I thought at first it was just too bright for it , so I switched on the Garmin to compare.. The difference was startling.. I decided the Nozatec wasn't for me.. would rather pay the premium for the Garmin...

Others are clearly satisfied.. It's not an argument or debate .. no right or wrong.. just personal findings.. read reviews of any product and you will find people with varying, even opposite views ..

Reactions: GJH

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Many thanks for this Graham, I had been considering purchasing one of these chinese truck jobbies but on the basis of your review and other comments I'll leave it for now. I currently use Co Pilot live on my mobile phone which works well and although it has its foibles (don't all sat navs?) it has never let me down yet and only cost £30 four years ago (currently operating on third device since purchase.).

D.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I've been in touch with the supplier about the maps as the current downloadable Truck and Common sets are the same (no ".ftr" truck specific file included):
and received a quick reply:
I copied the four files over (version United_Kingdom_2014.Q4_150302) and deleted the four old UK ones, leaving the .ftr file as it was. I then planned a route and it appears to work (avoided a narrow road as I would wish).
It wouldn't surprise me to find that the .ftr file contains your truck dimensions and features that you have entered and so would not need replacing ?

Last edited:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
This weekend I used my new Garmin Camper 760 for the first time,but in the car.I was impressed with the way it told me 'you need either of the two right hand lanes' at motor way junctions.and by the way it went into 'night mode' as I entered a tunnel-and back to daylight mode as I came out.
Also impressed by the traffic info 'light traffic build up 30 miles ahead' That was Hereford,and the 15 min delay predicted was spot on.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
I also think we have yet to test the definition of 'lifetime' Graham. Software/Equipment suppliers may well have a different one to us. I think Dave's CoPilot could out live others 'lifetimes', though I appreciate its not a large vehicle system.
Interesting comparisons, personally I only ever use any arrival time as a guide, especially with the state of our road network at times.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Just road tested the 760 Camper over the last few days after picking one up cheap at the NEC.

First impressions were good on Saturday and led to a stress free drive from the NEC to the Peak District

Today however was not so good with some routing down pretty narrow roads when a short 2 mile alternative route would have kept me on decent width A roads.

On the way home, it picked a route through Sheffield city centre when an alternative route to skirt around the centre and on to the M18 was a much easier and faster choice for a larger vehicle and only a few miles more

I really wish the sat nav manufacturers would have 'city centre' as one of the avoidance options.

It's better than the 6 year old basic Garmin it replaced but on today's performance not great, I'll reserve ultimate judgement until I've used it some more

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
It's better than the 6 year old basic Garmin it replaced but on today's performance not great, I'll reserve ultimate judgement until I've used it some more

Exactly,my Garmin Nuvi was about 6yrs old and died last month,so I bought the 760.
It was just like when I changed a 6yrs old BMW 3 series for a new one-so many advances in the technology (y)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Arrival time on my three sat navs are always totally different TomTom is always seriously optimistic, and the Snooper is always very pessimistic. I usually reckon it will be somewhere between the two.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It wouldn't surprise me to find that the .ftr file contains your truck dimensions and features that you have entered and so would not need replacing ?
It's a downloadable file in some sets, Mike. I believe it contains truck specific information such as weight limits rather than user input data.
This weekend I used my new Garmin Camper 760 for the first time,but in the car.I was impressed with the way it told me 'you need either of the two right hand lanes' at motor way junctions.and by the way it went into 'night mode' as I entered a tunnel-and back to daylight mode as I came out.
Also impressed by the traffic info 'light traffic build up 30 miles ahead' That was Hereford,and the 15 min delay predicted was spot on.
On the basis of the way the Camper 760 works in those aspects I bought a Nuvi 2569 to use in the car and gave away my TomTom Go 820.
I also think we have yet to test the definition of 'lifetime' Graham. Software/Equipment suppliers may well have a different one to us. I think Dave's CoPilot could out live others 'lifetimes', though I appreciate its not a large vehicle system.
Interesting comparisons, personally I only ever use any arrival time as a guide, especially with the state of our road network at times.
"Lifetime" is certainly an indefinite term. When I bought the TomTom referred to above I wanted to give my old Garmin to one of my sons but to keep the lifetime maps option I had to keep the registration in my name and he brings it round 4 times a year for the map updates. By contrast the TomTom lifetime deal is tied to the devise, not the purchaser, so I was able to de-register it and give it to a friend who then registered to receive map updates. I don't know if Garmin have changed their policy.
I'm looking to buy one ... how cheap was cheap.. ?
Check with your local Aldi Jim. I recall somebody posting some time ago that his local store didn't have any but were able to get one sent from their HQ as they didn't sell out in some places (like Hexham as Stewart mentioned).
Arrival time on my three sat navs are always totally different TomTom is always seriously optimistic, and the Snooper is always very pessimistic. I usually reckon it will be somewhere between the two.
On our journeys to and from the Lincoln show 3 weeks ago I had the Garmin Camper 760 and Noza Tec running side by side again. The Noza Tec was more accurate (almost spot on) than the Garmin (very optimistic). The Nuvi 2569 was also very optimistic on a trip to Derbyshire in the car 2 weeks ago. I had noticed a similar effect with my previous Garmin device so I contacted Garmin support a week ago but haven't received a satisfactory answer yet. However, after receiving a half baked answer 6 days ago I had a look at the settings and switched on the Travel History, which is supposed to learn from the way in which you drive. The Nuvi 2569 was almost spot on gong to Birmingham and back the other day so maybe that is the answer. It will be interesting to see how the Noza Tec and Camper 760 compare on our trip next weekend.
Today however was not so good with some routing down pretty narrow roads when a short 2 mile alternative route would have kept me on decent width A roads.

On the way home, it picked a route through Sheffield city centre when an alternative route to skirt around the centre and on to the M18 was a much easier and faster choice for a larger vehicle and only a few miles more

I really wish the sat nav manufacturers would have 'city centre' as one of the avoidance options.
The problem sometimes is that there may only be seconds in it when choosing the fastest route. Good idea about avoiding city centres though.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
It just struck me that the Camper 760 has a "Custom Avoidances" feature so it might be possible to define particular city centres to avoid in that way. I haven't tried it though.
Just had a play with that

Looks like it works, i.e. you set up a zone using two pins you place diagonally in opposite corners for the area you want to avoid, in my case, the area of Sheffield city centre.

When the device plotted the route it went from initially repeating today's route to completely routing around the area once the custom avoidance was switched on.

Pretty cool feature and one I'll definitely use I think when doing longer trips

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Aldi in Hexham currently have the 760 camper reduced from £199 to £179, just waiting to pounce if they reduce it further.

Some Glasgow stores still have them at £179. Been at that for a number of months now.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just had a play with that

Looks like it works, i.e. you set up a zone using two pins you place diagonally in opposite corners for the area you want to avoid, in my case, the area of Sheffield city centre.

When the device plotted the route it went from initially repeating today's route to completely routing around the area once the custom avoidance was switched on.

Pretty cool feature and one I'll definitely use I think when doing longer trips
Great. I'll try to remember it myself :)

Interestingly, whilst doing the comparison referred to in the OP, we travelled from Norfolk to Holme Pierrepont near Nottingham, the route taking us via Grantham. The Garmin took us through the town whilst the Noza Tec would have taken us round it. I assumed it was because the Noza Tec sometimes defaults to built in large vehicle parameters rather than the dimensions input. Going through the town was a bit slow because of traffic but probably still faster than going the other way, thus fulfilling the "fastest route" criterion.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yesterday I bought an iPad Mini screen protector from Poundworld and cut it down to fit. I intend testing it out on our next trip (hopefully next weekend).
We went out to fill up with LPG and diesel this morning in preparation for going away at the weekend. I took the opportunity to test out the screen protector to see if it made the screen easier to read.

It made no difference at all :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back