Co sensor (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
Just curious

Watched a video review earlier of a van which does not have gas. Solar Panels and an inverter power an electric hob etc.

There was a CO1 sensor above the hab door.

Why would you have such a sensor when there seems almost no change of carbon monoxide existing ?

Placing the sensor up by the roof seems daft as (from my school science days over 50 years ago) co1 is heavier than air and sinks to the floor. Anyone sleeping well below the sensor would therefore be dead before it went off.

Am I missing something?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Nope, lots of people fit them in stupid places, I fitted mine in the bedroom area on a side wall 150mm below a locker so plenty of air flow around it.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Just curious

Watched a video review earlier of a van which does not have gas. Solar Panels and an inverter power an electric hob etc.

Why would you have such a sensor when there seems almost no change of carbon monoxide existing ?

Placing the sensor up by the roof seems daft as (from my school science days over 50 years ago) co1 is heavier than air and sinks to the floor. Anyone sleeping well below the sensor would therefore be dead before it went off.

Am I missing something?
I would be interested to know if this is a British NCC approved van ?
As already said it seems that some manufacturers are fitting both the CO alarm and smoke detectors in the worst possible locations?
But as usual in this industry nothing will happen and it will carry on regardless ⚠️

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Carbon Monoxide is slightly lighter than air, @ 1.14 kg/m3, air is approximately 1.293 kg/m3.
So Carbon monoxide (CO) may rise in an static environment, given the slight density difference it is most
likely to mix in a living environment. Best to place sensor as NEAR the source of CO.

Skipping over fire risk of lithium batteries I presume provide power to inverter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
I have a CO monitor up by the controls and another Trigas (Linnepe) monitor below the bed, so lighter or heavier I don’t care! The Trigas is not a CO monitor.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Just curious

Am I missing something?
What #3 said. Like you I thought CO was heavier than air until I actually read the instructions that came with my alarm. Luckily still alive . . . . :)

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Just curious

Am I missing something?

LPG will sink hence the drop/spill vents in motorhomes and caravans. Carbon monoxide generally will just mingle with air but as the source of it is often heated it may rise.

The best location for one is at sleeping head height but often instructions state standing eye level in order to make reading the display easier.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I didn't realise till I was told by the chap doing our annual boiler maintenance but carbon monoxide detectors only have a max 10year life. Apparently they lose sensitivity.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
I didn't realise till I was told by the chap doing our annual boiler maintenance but carbon monoxide detectors only have a max 10year life. Apparently they lose sensitivity.

They often have the expiry date marked on them.

We changed ours at home last June, a year early.

Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Every day's a school day..
FYI Smoke detectors have an expiry date as well..
Best to note as after that date it may not alarm resulting in your expiry date.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I decided to check the date on one of my home CO alarms last night (Kidde). No date but it says it will shut itself down after 10 years operation and emit a double beep every 30 seconds. There is a one way switch on the back to permanently silence it for disposal.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Just curious

Am I missing something?
I assume they have a water heater that uses diesel?

Deleted User
They usually have an expiry date on them.

Edit, note to self - "read entire thread"

Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Meandering a little with the thread, BUT.

If you bought NEW or VERY NEAR new as we did (secondhand from a dealer @ 4 month old),
did MH come with 1 or more fire extinguishers installed?
I was astonished it did not.
2 installed, 1 by hab door in reach from kitchen and 2nd at the end of the island bed to fight out with if necessary.
Also a fire blanked fixed to the wall, the right of hob, shoulder height.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Meandering a little with the thread, BUT.

If you bought NEW or VERY NEAR new as we did (secondhand from a dealer @ 4 month old),
did MH come with 1 or more fire extinguishers installed?
I was astonished it did not.
2 installed, 1 by hab door in reach from kitchen and 2nd at the end of the island bed to fight out with if necessary.
Also a fire blanked fixed to the wall, the right of hob, shoulder height.
Had 3 new Motorhomes never had a fire extinguisher, smoke alarm or CO detector always fitted them myself.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Neither of my new motorhomes came with a fire extinguisher. Both had dealer supplied smoke and CO alarms.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back