Clunky gearbox - Mercedes Sprinter 2.7 with a Sprintshift gearbox (1 Viewer)

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
I went to look at a Hymer B655 for sale at the weekend and took it out for a drive. I've never driven one before and found the gearbox a bit clunky, could feel the gears changing down with a bit of a clunk each time. Is this normal?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Sprintshift is a robotised manual, so it's not going to act or feel like a normal automatic with a torque converter. They can be quite ponderous. I'm not sure if they are clunky though?

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
Sprintshift is a robotised manual, so it's not going to act or feel like a normal automatic with a torque converter. They can be quite ponderous. I'm not sure if they are clunky though?
I've owned two automatic cars, a Volvo XC90 and a Mazda CX-3. With the former I could never feel any sensation of gear change, with the Mazda I can just about sense the gears changing as I slow down. From your description of the Mercedes gearbox I can see that perhaps it's my unfamiliarity with that type of automatic transmission that made it feel strange.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Robotised gearboxes like the Sprintshift, or Fiat's Comfortmatic have a normal manual gearbox and clutch underneath. But there's a couple of servos to do the equivalent of rowing the gearstick, and another to press the clutch in. Then they have an array of sensors to do things like detect the bite point. So they feel like a manual, just someone is doing the gears for you.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I went to look at a Hymer B655 for sale at the weekend and took it out for a drive. I've never driven one before and found the gearbox a bit clunky, could feel the gears changing down with a bit of a clunk each time. Is this normal?
Sounds like the KISS point needs to be reset. Not a big job if you can find a friend or garage with DAS/Xentry diagnostics.

Oct 27, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
Since 2015
We have a Merc 2.7 with Sprintshift, The gear change is much slower than a true auto (one with a torque converter), but is smooth. Ours has just under 50k miles on the clock. Big problem is few garages know how to deal with them. Fortunately, we have one about 5 miles away. They’re a commercial vehicle garage, but work on hgvs, vans, busses etc. John has a lot of experience with the Sprintshift. Search for JRW Commercials in Nailsea if you’d like to speak to him.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
We have a Merc 2.7 with Sprintshift, The gear change is much slower than a true auto (one with a torque converter), but is smooth. Ours has just under 50k miles on the clock. Big problem is few garages know how to deal with them. Fortunately, we have one about 5 miles away. They’re a commercial vehicle garage, but work on hgvs, vans, busses etc. John has a lot of experience with the Sprintshift. Search for JRW Commercials in Nailsea if you’d like to speak to him.
I couldn't describe this one as smooth. Thanks for the contact information - I'll give them a call.

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
I couldn't describe this one as smooth. Thanks for the contact information - I'll give them a call.
I spoke with John of JRW Commercial yesterday. He believes this Hymer, first registered June 2007, is fitted with the 6 speed Sprintshift automatic gearbox and the clunking noise I can feel/hear on changing gear could well be due to damage to both the clutch and the dual mass flywheel caused possibly by the vehicle being held on the clutch whilst on a slope with subsequent overheating and degradation of the clutch and the flywheel’s springs. Cost of repair around £1500-£2000 involving replacement of the clutch and flywheel.

Very helpful information from John who took the trouble to return my call and talk me through the issues.

Jul 26, 2016
Stafford
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, B class
Exp
New
Just to add to Sprintshift knowledge, our Sprintshift boxed Burstner (2.7 316cdi 2006), started to fail to change all gears and go into a fixed (I think maximum 4th) gear, - we had also found previous gear grating on down changes (as if the clutch pedal - if it was manual was not being sufficiently depressed) having sorted through various helpful forums I'd decided it was going to be expensive. One day, parked on a wet surface I noticed a small oily ring on the water, knowing this is a very low mileage clean 'no leaks' vehicle I had to investigate, underside of hydraulic actuation fluid sump was wet (contains only a small quantity of Pentosin green mineral fluid. It turns out that a low pressure return pipe was loose at the lower end - hence the leak, I've refitted the pipe, changed fluid and filled the fluid reservoir - gearbox back to normal. The corrugated pipe in this view.

IMG_4366.jpg

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Got to the motorhome search option

Type in - Sprintshit (yes S p r i n t s h i t)
member - eurotrotters

My advice, do not buy Robotised Manuals

an example here

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back