Clueless on solar (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
The van (which we bought in December) is due to go back to the dealership to fix a few snagging points.

I don't know whether the solar panel on our van is doing anything. So far as I can see, the only indicator is the led top right above the control panel display and that has remained stubbornly unlit.

control panel 240225a.jpg

We had a good run out seven days ago and the van has been sitting outside since then with only the alarm likely to be causing any drain on the batteries. I haven't hooked up to the mains this week in order to see how the battery levels go. All the batteries were renewed last year, with the leisure ones being 2 x 80 amp.

I appreciate that it is winter, but we have had plenty of sunny days in the past two months and I would have expected some sort of action.

The single LED seems hopelessly inadequate, but our last van had this nice little blue unit that was easy to understand. I am thinking that we probably need something similar, so what do I have to consider ? Where do I start ?

solar unit.jpg

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
It might be that the controller is connected straight to the leisure batteries so won’t register on the panel. You could buy a dongle and then download the Victron app which will allow you to monitor the unit. If you have a multimeter you could check the charge at the leisure batterie.

OP
OP

Deleted User
It might be that the controller is connected straight to the leisure batteries so won’t register on the panel. You could buy a dongle and then download the Victron app which will allow you to monitor the unit. If you have a multimeter you could check the charge at the leisure batterie.
The leisure battery levels are shown together as "2" on the display. "1" is the engine battery and, according to the handbook, unless they are receiving a charge they are shown as disconnected, hence the differing voltages.

The control panel and display are OE, but maybe the solar has been added later and the panel bypassed ?

Electrics are not my area of expertise at all.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Does no:2 voltage go up if the sun is shining on the panels, if not then something is wrong…

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Are you saying you have got a victron in this van aswell, or the victron was in your last van, and you dont have one in this

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP

Deleted User
Does no:2 voltage go up if the sun is shining on the panels, if not then something is wrong…
No, that's what has been concerning me. The van is on the south side of the house and has been getting a decent amount of sun off and on.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Are you saying you have got a victron in this van aswell, or the victron was in your last van, and you dont have one in this
Sorry for confusion. The Victron was in our Laika. There isn't anything of any significant help in this one.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
No, that's what has been concerning me. The van is on the south side of the house and has been getting a decent amount of sun off and on.
2 things, dodgy panel or wiring/panel/connection/fuse problem

Get a voltmeter and see if voltage across the input wires of your solar cables when sun is shining...if so, then control panel issues, if not trace cables and check back toward solar panel or fuses.

Disconnect panel maybe power down the whole 12v system and restart to see if resets,
they do have capacitors in the rear could have gone, maybe remove and take a look if anything is obvious, (cracked solder etc)

could be quite simple when you get stuck in.
could even be a loose wire in one of these

1708891898483.png

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted User
2 things, dodgy panel or wiring/panel/connection/fuse problem

Get a voltmeter and see if voltage across the input wires of your solar cables when sun is shining...if so, then control panel issues, if not trace cables and check back toward solar panel or fuses.

Disconnect panel maybe power down the whole 12v system and restart to see if resets,
they do have capacitors in the rear could have gone, maybe remove and take a look if anything is obvious, (cracked solder etc)

could be quite simple when you get stuck in.
could even be a loose wire in one of these

View attachment 868775
That's brilliant, thanks !

We are still in warranty and I have alerted the dealer to this potential problem. As I said, I know nothing, so I can sling it back to them fairly certain that a fault does exist somewhere. Maybe I'll get them to install a more convenient Victron charge controller anyway. They tried to fob me off on two issues that were identified when I picked the van up but have agreed to look again at those when the van goes back to them.

OP
OP

Deleted User
I have just seen this in another thread and I am wondering whether our solar is not kicking in as the batteries are maintaining a good level of charge anyway ?

1708895010508.png

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have just seen this in another thread and I am wondering whether our solar is not kicking in as the batteries are maintaining a good level of charge anyway ?

View attachment 868807

Correct, your solar is not working… as I asked earlier when the sun is shining on the panels the voltage on the screen should increase as it would also be showing the charge that’s going into the battery…

Your going to have to get it sorted…

OP
OP

Deleted User
Correct, your solar is not working… as I asked earlier when the sun is shining on the panels the voltage on the screen should increase as it would also be showing the charge that’s going into the battery…

Your going to have to get it sorted…
Thanks, this helps !

As I said above, we are in warranty, so this can be added to the snagging list.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Maybe I'll get them to install a more convenient Victron charge controller anyway.
One thing worth knowing - there are two versions of the solar controller in your picture. The BlueSolar is the one in the picture, and it doesn't have Bluetooth built-in. The SmartSolar looks almost identical but has Bluetooth built in.

What use is Bluetooth? First it will communicate with a VictronConnect app on your phone, to show you in real-time what it's doing - panel voltage and power, output to battery, voltage and power. Also it will store data history so you can see how it did previously.

And that's just the start. There is a function to compensate for battery temperature, and also to accurately measure terminal voltage to avoid inaccuracy due to voltage drop along the cables. For that you will need to get a small 'SmartSense' unit, that sticks on the battery side and has a couple of thin wires to the battery terminals. That will send voltage and temperature readings automatically to the solar controller via Bluetooth. If you ever get any other Victron devices they will all communicate to each other and to the App by Bluetooth

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back