Chip fryer oil ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've had trouble with oil foaming in my chip fryer .. it went right over the top and down the worktop.. it wasn't too full nor the potatoes wet.

This is usually down to being old or contaminated oil ..but it's wasn't that old.. and still looked clean.. so I changed it..

Low and behold a couple of weeks later it is starting to foam again .. :Doh:

I don't mind changing, but am I using the wrong oil.. I usually buy the cheapest vegetable oil..

Is there a specific oil for deep frying .. a non foaming oil ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It could be that the cheapest oil isn't of a brilliant quality and over time, along with the moisture from the items being cooked, the water builds up. We use whatever oil we have at the time, but I prefer sunflower to vegetable, so if there isn't much of a price difference I'll go for sunflower.

I could also be the spuds that you're using to make chips, some have a much higher moisture content than others, also if you have had the oil slightly under the ideal temperature you'll find that some bits will drop off the spuds and contaminate the oil and make it more likely to bubble too. Even if oil looks clean, it is still a good idea to strain it to remove the bits sitting in the bottom of the pan as these, quite apart from burning eventually, can keep the temperature lower than it should be.

Alternatively are you sure you're using cooking oil and not fairy liquid! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I've had trouble with oil foaming in my chip fryer .. it went right over the top and down the worktop.. it wasn't too full nor the potatoes wet.

This is usually down to being old or contaminated oil ..but it's wasn't that old.. and still looked clean.. so I changed it..

Low and behold a couple of weeks later it is starting to foam again .. :Doh:

I don't mind changing, but am I using the wrong oil.. I usually buy the cheapest vegetable oil..

Is there a specific oil for deep frying .. a non foaming oil ?
We use one of these now...No oil at all and cooks most things in about 10 - 15 minutes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Philips-H...=UK_HGKitchen_SmallApp_RL&hash=item2c7e50c117

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We use rapeseed or vegetable oil in the large fryer at home and lower the old basket slowly :RollEyes:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks for replies and suggestions.. but none really explain why relatively new oil should foam when cooking..

I do filter it.. although last time it was foaming before I needed to.. it is a modern semi commercial fryer.. made by Buffalo with a proper heat control.. so not cooking at wrong temperature.

Broken Link Removed

I always use Maris Pipers bought from our local farm shop in a 25kg bag .. great all rounders, maybe they have more moisture this year due to weather ?

and no.. I don't use Fairy.. that's the kitchen skivvy's dept. :winky:

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Is it good, how do the chips come out? Do you use it for anything else?
We love it.
It was a prezzie from our daughter at Christmas and it's been used at least once or twice a week since.
It does oven chips really well and they come out nice and crisp.
I think you'd need to spray "Proper" chips with olive oil first if you wanted the same finish though.
We use it alot to crisp off baked potatoes after cooking them in the microwave.
You can cook almost anything that can be deep fried or oven baked as far as I know.
We've used it for scampi, fish fillets, croquet potatoes etc all with great results.
It's easy to clean too if you do it after each use.
Only downside is that it fills the room with the aroma of whatever's being cooked. :thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I have just glanced through some of Googles answers very informative:thumb:

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
i use this u can put

pies bridies pizza slices sausages and its like an oven in 1/4 time
chips is a tablespoon of oil its the dogs bllx...
Broken Link Removed

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I've always used one of these..... no mess, no cooking smells in the kitchen..........a bit dearer admittedly...........

Fish_and_Chip_Shop,_Beal_Lane,_Shaw_-_geograph.org.uk_-_265547.jpg

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Last time my cooking oil foamed was because I'd accidentally used wood shampoo :Doh:

What the hell is WOOD shampoo?

Do you wash tree branches with it?

Intrigued, Dave:thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've always used one of these..... no mess, no cooking smells in the kitchen..........a bit dearer admittedly...........

Living in the sticks our nearest chippy is a 20 mile round trip.. and at £1.80 a pop.. makes for an expensive chip.

Not complaining.. we also have no crime..:Smile:

besides, you can't beat home made chips.. and not the frozen crap either.. proper ones made with spuds.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
We got one of them Phillips air dryer things we cooks chips baked tattys
fish, fish finger pizza slices and garlic bread probably some stuff I don know about (cos I only watch), the chips tho is brill we just chuck cut chips into bowl an coat them wi about a tablespoon of oil,toss em about a bit an chuck em in the air dryer, mmmmm very nice,also we can take it in the MH to cook with.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back