Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The main difference between Photoshop and more basic graphic software like MS Paint is that Photoshop arranges the different elements of your graphic (for example text) in layers, rather than as a flat single layer image. The trick is to get the hang of layers and how to manage them.

The special effects in Photoshop are quite funky, as are the myriad options you have for background fills, fading stuff in and out (opacity) and so on.

There's also a neat built-in feature I use a lot called Photomerge which allows you to make photographic panoramas from sequences of overlapping shots. All of the images in my Aires collection (link below) were Photomerged.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have windows 7 and Photoshop elements 11
and no clue.
Roger

Don't be too despondent, it is one very powerful package, not at all trivial to learn.

If you just want to re-size and touch up, load irfanview. Now this is easy to learn. A great simple viewer as well.

Damn the internet - since posting this message an advert popped up for a photo editing suit !! That's in Jim's sponsored links bar.

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I use it but only for basics ... I don't do the layering bit. If you want help with resizing for posting on the forum/web, etc... then I can help. Don't want to type it all out though if you already sussed this part. Let me know.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
ps ... our local college every so often does a six week course (one night a week) on Photoshop. Bit heavy so don't miss the first one or you will be snookered!!!! Well, I was. It might be worth contacting your local technical college and asking if their photography chap does the same. (Ours was really cheap too ... about £3 a night .. can't remember exactly.)

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Elements-as Brian says a powerfull programme,and I doubt if anyone uses more than about 5% of it,but for cropping and adjusting levels,or opening RAW files it is superb.
I have elements 9 and love it.
As Joy posted a course at local college can be a great help.

Mike

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
HAH!!! the last seven posts have knackered you eh?

Me ? lost it in the first instant:Doh:

OP
OP
teddybard

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Thanks Mike but courses not planned locally till summer
by when Hopefully I'll have sorted it out a bit.:Smile::Smile:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Elements-as Brian says a powerfull programme,and I doubt if anyone uses more than about 5% of it,but for cropping and adjusting levels,or opening RAW files it is superb.
I have elements 9 and love it.
As Joy posted a course at local college can be a great help.
Mike

Just one word of caution about Elements and Raw files. Most functions in Elements will only operate in 8-bit colour depth mode, whereas most Raw files are produced in 16-bit mode. Elements will still allow basic 16-bit colour adjustments but most tools and layers will not work until you convert the image to 8-bit: this is done within Elements after you open the file. This is not a problem for most users who would probably not see the difference after conversion, but it can trap the unwary who, after opening a 16-bit file, find that some Elements functions are disabled until conversion.
If you really have to have full 16-bit compatibility, the full version of Photoshop is required at £660.

In case anyone is wondering, I believe the difference between 8 and 16-bit colour manipulation will only be noticed in large areas of graduated colour such as skies, and then probably only in big enlargements.

OP
OP
teddybard

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Just one word of caution about Elements and Raw files. Most functions in Elements will only operate in 8-bit colour depth mode, whereas most Raw files are produced in 16-bit mode. Elements will still allow basic 16-bit colour adjustments but most tools and layers will not work until you convert the image to 8-bit: this is done within Elements after you open the file. This is not a problem for most users who would probably not see the difference after conversion, but it can trap the unwary who, after opening a 16-bit file, find that some Elements functions are disabled until conversion.
If you really have to have full 16-bit compatibility, the full version of Photoshop is required at £660.

In case anyone is wondering, I believe the difference between 8 and 16-bit colour manipulation will only be noticed in large areas of graduated colour such as skies, and then probably only in big enlargements.

Thanks but I'm still baffled.:Doh:

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
steve

stopped smoking about a year ago. i was a very heavy smoker had a cig in my mouth all the time my wife used to play hell with me telling me its no good for my health apart from the money it was costing me. so one day istopped the money i saved was astronomical and my bank managers very happy so am i so please all you smokers STOP.steve:Smile:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I think the OP was hoping someone could 'walk through' things with him a bit at Chester. It is usually easier to follow that reading instructions (a bit like learning to drive by reading a manual of driving). I can't help as I don't use Photoshop. What little photo adjusting I do is done using Corel draw/photopaint but I'm sure a PS user will be able to help

Wyn

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
stopped smoking about a year ago. i was a very heavy smoker had a cig in my mouth all the time my wife used to play hell with me telling me its no good for my health apart from the money it was costing me. so one day istopped the money i saved was astronomical and my bank managers very happy so am i so please all you smokers STOP.steve:Smile:

I think this is in the wrong thread!!!!:Blush:

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I think the OP was hoping someone could 'walk through' things with him a bit at Chester. It is usually easier to follow that reading instructions (a bit like learning to drive by reading a manual of driving). I can't help as I don't use Photoshop. What little photo adjusting I do is done using Corel draw/photopaint but I'm sure a PS user will be able to help

Wyn

Well in the event of a Photoshop expert NOT signing up to the Chester meet, TB will have to make do with my book.

Happy to share it with you Teddybard - even if you are mean about me & my uke :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
teddybard

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Well in the event of a Photoshop expert NOT signing up to the Chester meet, TB will have to make do with my book.

Happy to share it with you Teddybard - even if you are mean about me & my uke :ROFLMAO:

WOT ME:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
As an illustrator I use photoshop everyday....its a brilliant bit of kit in all its forms.

But you have to learn the tools......lots of help on youtube and other sites

Ive been using full photoshop for 15 years and still wouldnt claim to be an expert. Just set yourself simple tasks lie resizing.......and learn about each tool.

Forget about layers till you get the basics right.

barry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back