Check fuel filter (1 Viewer)

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Does it ever end, after a full service and before I left the forecourt the check fuel filter light warning came on . The garage checked the filter no obvious fault so they cleared it ,everything good but not for long ,I set off looking for lpg found some but a 35 mile round trip and back came the warning so back to the garage . They put a scanner tool on it and it shows no faults 🤷‍♂️ The garage are very good and have ordered a new filter and sensor ,they think the one they changed might be faulty.Has anyone else had a similar problem ?.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
When we picked ours up it had been serviced for us.

That meant a diesel warning light on, which actually was a diesel weep from the filter housing that soaked the connections, illuminating the warning light. Then on checking the rest of the service I also found they must have left rag/paper towel on the slam panel furring the service, then started the engine.

IMG_1281.jpegIMG_1162.jpeg

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Yep after a failure on trip which was due to a cracked water sensor in a new diesel filter, we had a new filter fitted. Turns out the 'new' diesel water sensor was faulty.

Yellow triangle warning sorted after new water sensor fitted, but we get random 'check diesel filter ' messages but not on first start up!

It has been back to the garage for a week where the filter has been checked as has the fuel, to no avail. Fiat are suggesting it is a software update issue, so my garage is waiting to hear from them.

If anyone figured out the issue I'd be glad to know the solution!

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
We are having the same issue - the Check Diesel Fuel Filter warning is coming on at startup most times. It never did until the fuel filter was changed at the last service.

i queried it with the garage - their view was that the sensor(?) on the filter is crap, and most of them show this. Mind, they probably don’t fit Fiat OEM parts.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Interesting thought about OEM parts as the one that is causing the problem is a genuine FIAT part. The techs did say that the sensor was rubbish though, given that we needed two, they were right!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Our Hymer started up fine to come off a pitch, stopped it to talk to owner, then would not start.
Turned out to be a collapsed fuel filter, breakdown to garage, fixed.
Was very annoying as Manic was about to service van and had new filter for it.
This was a few years ago now.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Has anyone got to the bottom of how to resolve the 'Check fuel Filter' message?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I had a recent thread about how my van would cut out and give injector errors in OBD2 readings.
Turns out a misfitted diesel filter was allow air to leak in around the seal. Grrrr.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Is this problem specific to engine type/size or year of manufacture?
More detail would help, I think I heard that the diesel filters changed from plastic back to metal type because of so many leaking after having been changed without using the appropriate tool/spanner or torque setting.
Thanks.
LES

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Has anyone got to the bottom of how to resolve the 'Check fuel Filter' message?
Have you had the fuel filter replaced at a different garage?

I would try a different garage as the 1st one may have caused the issue.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
A bit of a saga really. OEM filter fitted at service. Failed in Germany due to cracked water sensor and was replaced with a genuine Fiat filter. First water sensor faulty and replaced and this is when the error message sometimes comes on

Vehicle is 2.3 2015 Euro 5+. The garage who serviced it spent a lot of time checking the filter and fuel to no availed. Decided to leave until next service when the cam belt is due for replacement. They have a call out to Fiat as well I guess I may have to go to Fiat for the next service.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Is this problem specific to engine type/size or year of manufacture?
More detail would help, I think I heard that the diesel filters changed from plastic back to metal type because of so many leaking after having been changed without using the appropriate tool/spanner or torque setting.
Thanks.
LES
THe 2016 on twin egr 2.3 had a metal case filter untill 2019 then back to black plastic.

Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
I’ve had 3 faulty and leaking in 4 years. Last one I had fitted at a Fiat garage 380€. Figure it’s guaranteed at least for a year and take it to any Fiat dealer. I’m reluctant to let anyone touch it now. Seems there isn’t a fix,it just needs torque tightened to a perfect setting.

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
in 42+ years of owning diesel cars/vans I’ve never changed a fuel filter. first car had a drain spigot & I did use it a couple of times.
three of the cars & one van were all driven over 130k at least & were fine when sold on.
Changing fuel filters judging by what I read seems to cause problems. Present vehicles, berlingo hdi & Eura Mobil van, will be treated the same.

Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
I’ve heard that of a few mechanics since,should be good for about 40k.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
So an update on this. AM Philips FIAT Professional dealer have been looking at the issue and have decided that a new sensor is required under warranty no less!. However they are on back order and looks as if there may be an issue with the old ones.

I'll keep this thread updated when I have more hopefully, positive news!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just how did the paper towel become shredded on its way to the filter housing

When we picked ours up it had been serviced for us.

That meant a diesel warning light on, which actually was a diesel weep from the filter housing that soaked the connections, illuminating the warning light. Then on checking the rest of the service I also found they must have left rag/paper towel on the slam panel furring the service, then started the engine.

View attachment 797948View attachment 797949

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Just how did the paper towel become shredded on its way to the filter housing
No idea. The van was serviced before he put up for sale. I bought it, and decided to do my own service, as I don’t trust others. What is in the pic is what I found.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back