Charging Leisure Battery From Engine (1 Viewer)

Steve32768

Free Member
Jun 13, 2013
Leigh On Sea
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit Roller Team
Exp
1 year
Hi,

I have a Ford Autoroller 700 and it has 2 leisure batteries. We went away last weekend with a couple of random stop overs which meant that we didn't have electric hookup. I assumed that the batteries would charge when the engine is running but we ran out of power.

Should the leisure batteries charge from the engine?

If so what could be the fault?

Thanks

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
batteries no good .or you used too much power. or not charging . have you tried a volt meter on them with and with out engine running . or just a bulb test light .

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Welcome to Fun Steve!:thumb:

This clip explains all!:Smile:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKURbJOoICk"]Sterling Power - charging batteries - YouTube[/ame]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
It does sound like your power consumption exceeded your charging rate, or as mentioned, you batteries could be goosed. This isn't unusual for the run-of-the-mill, industry-standard rubbish leisure batteries we are sold.
If you want to camp off-grid often, and wish to use your alternator for charging, you need a Sterling Power Battery-to-Battery charger to boost your charge rate to 45 Amps.

If you are a tecchie like me, a Sterling Alternator-to -Battery charger is the king of rapid alternator charging, but is a pain to fit!::bigsmile:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back