Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Thanks for all the replies,

I have drawn up an outline of the route and open to detour from it.

One final question, can I take milk , bacon, sausage across in the MH? There are conflicting reports, some say no then others say for your own consumption?

TA Steve

General consensus on here seems to be take it but do not to hide it.

Cheers
Red

May 19, 2023
Cwmbran, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Looking

One final question, can I take milk , bacon, sausage across in the MH? There are conflicting reports, some say no then others say for your own consumption?

TA Steve
No unfortunately no dairy or meat. I used to love my long trips to France all stocked up on steak, lamb and fav items. I have been subject to vehicle scans and searches and despite my huge German shepherd barking away. you have to make customs declarations the same as flying. At best you will have to bin your goodies at worst fines or refused entry. So if you are going to take it ask yourself ‘do you feel lucky’?? Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: hja
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
General consensus on here seems to be take it but do not to hide it.

Cheers
Red
Yes might get nasty if they find you trying to be smart!!

Been over and back about 10 times since rule change, van fridge/freezer loaded to the gunnels and never been asked or checked.
Only time I’m ever checked is on the way back they look inside for migrants.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Yes might get nasty if they find you trying to be smart!!

Been over and back about 10 times since rule change, van fridge/freezer loaded to the gunnels and never been asked or checked.
Only time I’m ever checked is on the way back they look inside for migrants.
Not as many as ten times, but certainly the same routine for us, ie, F/F stacked to the gunnels with our grub, and not for resale either. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 10, 2022
South wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic
Just crossed over on the ferry from Dover to Calais and guess what?
We got pulled !!
The fella came in the van and looked in the bathroom, opened a few cupboards and then asked me to pop the bonnet. I asked what he was looking for and his quirky reply was ‘well knuckle duster’s like in that van’ a crew van in front of us got pulled.
Didn’t open the fridge or the large garage we have. I really don’t know what the point of it was

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We go several times per year, mostly via Tunnel or Calais, ocassionally Caen, Santander.

We ve been into the checkpoints now and again but they ve never shown any interest in the fridge. They seem more bothered about dogs, drugs, or stowaways.

If you re going South from the Tunnel taking the route discussed earlier the first roundabout you're going to see is either leaving the motorway for a stop or ex cow island at Rouen. Just make sure you get in the correct lane after you leave the train, left hand one for Boulogne.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
When we get pulled into the "search" area it's only been to check the gas is off.

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
I tend to pay by card as it is so easy, however, I’m always concerned that I might drop it. Feeding a note into the machine was even more perilous especially if a howling wind was blowing through the toll booth , as it mostly does.
Also, don't make the mistake my copilot made. Thinking the card slot was a bit neat she forced the Starling card in anyway. This was, in fact, the slot for the machine to issue receipts from.......10 minutes with a pair of tweezers to retrieve said card, much to the delight of those behind us!
Bip'n'Go tag subsequently purchased.

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017

TA Steve
Last spring we got pulled into a search area coming off the boat at Santander. There were multiple bins beside the lane we got pulled into. Official person came in and went straight to the fridge. We had a pint of milk and some cold meats and cheese. He shook his head, thought for a bit, and then walked off telling us we could go. I suspect he couldn't be bothered with the paperwork. He then went to another van that has been pulled over.

Had a full Immigration check done at Calais before boarding the boat. Looked in fridge cutlery drawers( in case of very small migrants) under bed and pillows, bathroom, but not in the huge garage. I suspect a box-tick exercise given that the UK had just given France lots of cash to enhance checks for illegals.

Never been checked using the Tunnel, except to ensure gas is off,. Have used Tunnel about 16 times in past few years.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Just crossed over on the ferry from Dover to Calais and guess what?
We got pulled !!
The fella came in the van and looked in the bathroom, opened a few cupboards and then asked me to pop the bonnet. I asked what he was looking for and his quirky reply was ‘well knuckle duster’s like in that van’ a crew van in front of us got pulled.
Didn’t open the fridge or the large garage we have. I really don’t know what the point of it was
I imagine with the amount of stops they do,

A. There is probably a certain number they have to do per hour, so if nothing interesting then just pick at random.

B. I am sure the decent ones will be experienced at reading people. A short interaction may tell them more than the contents of a cupboard, and signs of nervousness beyond what normal travellers display will be picked up.

But it won't be me. I'm rubbish at reading people, I'd be a useless customs officer!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back