CCC - for 'Beneficial' read 'Rip-Off' (1 Viewer)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Having trudged through the CCC downloadable 'Price Insert' for 2014, here is an example of their 'beneficial to members' pricing for next year. :Angry:

For Ebury Hill, Shrewsbury (site with no shower block for those that use such things) per adult and taking the lowest price for each band (could be around £1 dearer depending on alleged 'demand'):

Low £5.00 (2013 was £3.45)
Mid £6.10 (2013 was £4.15)
Shoulder £6.70 (2013 was 'mid' £4.15)
High £7.30 (2013 was £4.70)

Add to that £3.85 per night (same as 2013) for hook-up plus a further £1.00 per night for a hardstanding (no extra charge before 2014).

'Beneficial to members' - my ar$e! :Angry:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Having trudged through the CCC downloadable 'Price Insert' for 2014, here is an example of their 'beneficial to members' pricing for next year. :Angry:

For Ebury Hill, Shrewsbury (site with no shower block for those that use such things) per adult and taking the lowest price for each band (could be around £1 dearer depending on alleged 'demand'):

Low £5.00 (2013 was £3.45)
Mid £6.10 (2013 was £4.15)
Shoulder £6.70 (2013 was 'mid' £4.15)
High £7.30 (2013 was £4.70)

Add to that £3.85 per night (same as 2013) for hook-up plus a further £1.00 per night for a hardstanding (no extra charge before 2014).

'Beneficial to members' - my ar$e! :Angry:

Think I may forget to renew next year

If you book a pitch and have to cancel inside 30 days

That's £ 25 to them

:thumb::thumb::thumb:j

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Maz, Absolutely correct. My theory is if you are over 55 and try to go out of high season then the "Club" are really going to fleece you now. I checked 3 sites we used this year and if we were daft enough to go in 2014 we would be paying 10 to 20% more. I don't know what annoys us more: the size of the increase or the way they think we are stupid enough to fall for the spin that says it is cheaper. After many years we will not renew.
Bernie & Rona:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Whilst is may seem a big increase I wonder when they last put the prices up. Ours have been the same for the past three years and I guess will eventually jump from £7 to £10. Nevertheless £12 for a hardstanding pitch with electric seems cheap to me especially if that price is for a CL where they are limited to 5 vans, not exactly a living wage is it. Of course as I never use sites myself it is not easy for me to compare.

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Wildman, I am sure if you go from £7 to£10 you won't try and make out it is good news and better value!
Bernie

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
even though we are members there is no way we would pay the fees involved in using the main sites, only reason we are members is to make use of the five van sites, the one we are on at the moment charges £5 per night, they don't have hook-ups but as we are here for longer visits should I say, they run us out a lead and we pay £7 per night, not bad for us and ok for them. I think both so called clubs are way overpriced for main sites and will come a cropper sooner or later, it gets bloody stupid when it is cheaper in some cases to get a B&B than it is to stay on a site providing your own room and facilities and cleaning up after yourselves.

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
Sign of the times I'm afraid, perhaps there trying to catch up with the energy companies. The ironic thing is its the members who are on the commities that Agree to these increases I often wonder what planet there on. Perhaps some of them are retired MPs. Same planet different area. Or it could have been taken over by the French who own most of the big energy companies. Just my opinion.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Here's the letter

I got when I wrote and complained...

Thank you for your email regarding the new pricing structure we have introduced for the coming season.

The decision to completely revamp the pricing structure was made working closely with the National Council. This decision was not taken lightly and we believe it to be in the best interests of our members and of the Club to ensure we are still providing our members, and customers with a great camping experience along with competitive prices.

Our old pricing structure didn’t provide the Club with the flexibility we really wanted to offer our members and customers. The new way of offering a fluid pricing structure falls in line with much of the Tourism and Leisure industry standards

We are confident that the new pricing structure will improve occupancy to drive an improved site network, offer a greater opportunity for value deals to camp on Club Sites and has enabled us to offer enhanced member benefits including an improved family deal, children half price and a 25% discount for Age Concession members.

In order for the Club to continue providing high quality camp sites, in fantastic locations, we have needed to change the pricing structure. Ultimately, this has resulted in some sites being more expensive than they were last year. It is important to note that, whilst there have been some price increases, over 30 of our sites are now cheaper in the High Season, and over 50 in the low season.

This year, we have introduced a fourth season – the “Shoulder Season”. We were finding that the three seasons that we had previously were not giving us enough flexibility and stopping us from being able to offer the best possible price. The Shoulder Season will bridge the gap between High and Mid season pricing and offer members more choice when camping.

Full details of the site fees can be found on the Price Insert in your copy of the Your Place in the Country.

I hope this helps, and if I can be of any further assistance, please let me know

Best regards,

Drew

No, I wasn't convinced either!!:thumbdown::thumbdown:

Catherine

Write to membershipservices@campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk, and complain to Drew!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We are victims of our own success.
With more and more mh and snails hitting the road, and fewer per head capita pitches to go round, I can see a steady priceincrease in future years :Sad:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We've been C&CC members for about 2 and a half years. Never used a main site and will only do so if it is convenient. The membership fee is well worth it for the THSs/Meets alone with CSs an added bonus.

In the past we have used CC main sites but it has been quite a while and (as with C&CC) we will only do so if it is convenient. We have used a few CLs but not many and I would dump the CC membership before C&CC.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We've been C&CC members for about 2 and a half years. Never used a main site and will only do so if it is convenient. The membership fee is well worth it for the THSs/Meets alone with CSs an added bonus.

In the past we have used CC main sites but it has been quite a while and (as with C&CC) we will only do so if it is convenient. We have used a few CLs but not many and I would dump the CC membership before C&CC.
That's exactly how Rita and I use our membership of both clubs. Only occasional family visits, necessitate the use of a main club site.

Cheers,

Jock.

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have been a member for seven or eight years. In that time the CCC has had a lot of money from me by way of pitch bookings. However, this year, I have not renewed and join the CC instead.

The £1 for the hard stand was the swinger.

Russell

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010

This year, we have introduced a fourth season – the “Shoulder Season”. We were finding that the three seasons that we had previously were not giving us enough flexibility and stopping us from being able to offer the best possible price. The Shoulder Season will bridge the gap between High and Mid season pricing and offer members more choice when camping.

I'm confused (no change there).....my initial impression was that the shoulder season just replaces the mid season either side of the high season.

So it costs us more.

In what way does that "offer members more choice when camping"? :Angry:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
In what way does that "offer members more choice when camping"? :Angry:

It doesn't. But presumably the CCC 'management' are so far up themselves that they actually believe their own b*llsh*t. :Angry:

I will probably retain my CCC membership next year but mainly so that I can use their THSs which I pretty much live on during late spring/summer/early autumn. I will be using CC sites with mid-week discount for the off season instead of CCC sites as they offer better value for money.

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
CCC

After many years with CCC we left this year and haven't missed it at all. We've rarely used them in recent years and also have never found their ferry prices to be competitive with what I can find on line.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
After many years with CCC we left this year and haven't missed it at all. We've rarely used them in recent years and also have never found their ferry prices to be competitive with what I can find on line.

In a way, the CC are cashing in on their own success. When the financial crisis started to bite, foreign holidays took a dive, but the CCs membership shot up by 33,000. Peeps buying cheep tugs for holidays at home. The CCC saw a huge membership rise as well, mainly with tenters.
In a caravan, you have, (I stand to be corrected on this), a tendency to pre-book a lot more then with a MH. You feel more 'vulnerable' in a way, not wanting to be stuck in some layby with that thing tied to your bum, no water and an outside waste tank that needs emptying every day. Thinking to remain a CC member, despite the hike, and just use the places for the odd night, empty the grey waste, take a longer shower etc.
Must say I prefer the facilities on the CC sites, as oppressed to the CCC, and there isn't much these days between both club's pricing.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
This year was the first time we have ever used the CCC sites.. Really pleased and not bad costs.. With the new fees announced there are many many small independent sites that are better priced now..

We shall proly remain members cos we do get about the cost of membership off the price of each of the ferry crossings.. So an over all saving

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
If you are members try the temporary holiday sites, we did this year for the first time and really enjoyed them,they have some brilliant locations and are ever so cheap.

Well we enjoyed most but we got parked behind GJH for a few days but hey it was tollerable :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tude

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Ccc prices

As opening thread said eburyhill £3.45 this year per night no leccy so a single person pays £3.45 per night for a pitch is that not to cheap? It sounds it to me.
You can't park your car for 4hrs for that.so next year it's a fiver for a night how cheap do you guys want it ?

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Has anyone worked out if it's possible to predict when best to book a site yet? Or is it now impossible? I know what's going to happen...

I'll book several weeks ahead, and then find the site empty when I arrive, which results in the CCC reducing the price last minute, which I cannot benefit from due to the 30 day rule.

The next time, I leave it to the last minute and find the site almost full and the price raised to hit the last few that turn up.

At least with the old pricing I knew that at the time of booking I was getting the best (and only) deal. I don't feel in control any more, and that really bugs me, along with the CCC's attempt at spinning the new price rise as something good for me :Angry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If you are members try the temporary holiday sites, we did this year for the first time and really enjoyed them,they have some brilliant locations and are ever so cheap.

Well we enjoyed most but we got parked behind GJH for a few days but hey it was tollerable :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It was alright for you - you didn't have to put up with the bloke next door :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Has anyone worked out if it's possible to predict when best to book a site yet? Or is it now impossible? I know what's going to happen...

I'll book several weeks ahead, and then find the site empty when I arrive, which results in the CCC [HI]reducing the price[/HI] last minute, which I cannot benefit from due to the 30 day rule.

The next time, I leave it to the last minute and find the site almost full and the price raised to hit the last few that turn up.

At least with the old pricing I knew that at the time of booking I was getting the best (and only) deal. I don't feel in control any more, and that really bugs me, along with the CCC's attempt at spinning the new price rise as something good for me :Angry:

Call me cynical :winky: but somehow I don't imagine we will be seeing many prices reducing ...............

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
They say that 30 sites are cheaper in high season and 50 cheaper in low season - I say 'Name them' to make it easier for us to spot them!

Yes the smaller sites in the book and the THs are probably fine

Tude said "As opening thread said eburyhill £3.45 this year per night no leccy so a single person pays £3.45 per night for a pitch is that not to cheap? It sounds it to me.
You can't park your car for 4hrs for that.so next year it's a fiver for a night how cheap do you guys want it ?
"

However Maz said low season at Ebury Hill was formerly £7.30 per night (£3.45 + £3.85) with no charge for hard standing, now it's £9.85, unless there's a rush on. I think I could park a car all day for that! An extra nearly £2.50 a day will make a difference.

Catherine

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
They say that 30 sites are cheaper in high season and 50 cheaper in low season - I say 'Name them' to make it easier for us to spot them!

They are listed on the CCC website. However, as an example, Oswestry (another site I have used) is a massive 20p per night cheaper next year in the low season. Compare that with £1.55 per night dearer at Ebury Hill on grass. :Angry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As a general rule the cost of any site is only too much if one doesn't gain sufficient value from it. As mentioned earlier we've never stayed on a C&CC main site and it's been a while since we used a CC main site.

However, we did use two private sites in August (The Ketch at Worcester and the Showground in Shrewsbury) which were both more expensive that most CSs/CLs but gave us value for money as they were the most convenient for where we wanted to be at the time.

We intend having some re-upholstery done my Tappers before too long and may well use the CC site at Chapel Lane as it could be the most convenient.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
We are confident that the new pricing structure will improve occupancy to drive an improved site network, offer a greater opportunity for value deals to camp on Club Sites and has enabled us to offer enhanced member benefits including an improved family deal, children half price and a 25% discount for Age Concession members.

These people should be politicians (maybe they are). According to the above the new pricing structure has enabled them to do something they've been doing for years. :whatthe::whatthe::Doh::Angry:

At least lie in style - don't treat us like morons.

John

Organplayer

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sept. 1995
organplayer

There is always the ACSI book for UK sites. We stayed on a really nice site with EHU, small shop, meals cooked for you in their establishment if required. The cost per night after conversion of currency, Euros to Pounds, between £9 and £10. The site, which is located in woodland not far from Honiton, was pretty quiet.

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
CCC

I am a member of a caravan forum and one of the comments from there - well more than one - is that they only book a few days ahead with the CCC. This was discussed in reaction to the new 30 day cancellation rule.

I miss the free night vouchers and also the "7 for 5" and "4 for 3" offers - they seem to have gone all bar two sites.

I joined the CC a couple of days ago and if I am correct, I am paying less than £9 per night with hook up at Newport. I also tried to book other sites on line - FULL - but a phone call and I got in. I will see how CC membership pans out but of course their 2014 tariff is not ready yet.

Russell

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I also tried to book other sites on line - FULL - but a phone call and I got in.
That is often the case Russell. Often the warden will have pitches available, when East Grinstead HQ will tell you that the site you want is full, :whatthe:

BTW, the CC do not do THS, which are so flexible, and a favourite for so many C&CC members.

Cheers,

Jock.

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Post your complaint to the C&CC

I have tried a quick search for e mail addresses of the national council members of the C&CC without much success. The council members are the directors of the cluband as such are ultimately responsible for the pricing structure.

If you want to make a complaint you can use the web form here: https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/forms/ShowForm.asp

If you are on facebook or twitter you can post your views there also.

The C&CC is a business nowdays, not a club but the directors are elected by the members and the only way to make you voice heard on this is to object directly to the national council.:Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back