Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... margarine does NOT exist now! :RollEyes:

All the stuff in tubs, alternatives to butter, etc are NOT margarine ... it is not a 'legal' phrase any more as far as I'm aware and hasn't been for a long time. So get your definitions right!!!! :Doh:

Anyway ... yes we eat spread as most butter nowadays is cr*p and can be expensive. Lurpak and Anchor are so tasteless now that we avoid them and are still trying to find something that really tastes like 'real' butter. However, where it 'matters' we have butter (jacket spuds, toast) but to just put something on bread to stop it beign so dry, or into mash spuds, we use spread, but not the cheap crappy stuff!::bigsmile:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Always been butter.........always will be butter, Lurpak, slightly salted and never the "low" or "reduced" anything type.

Lurpak have a new butter out, it's called Lurpak Organic Slow-Churned, haven't got it yet, but will be looking out for it. I fancy some of this on a slice of sourdough bread toasted........::bigsmile:

Every now and again I'll suggest buying Olivio or something similar, but then decide against it knowing that we just can't get used to the taste. It's got to be Lurpak or nothing.

My Mum used to buy butter from the old-style grocer shops way back in the late 60's and mid 70's. It would be patted into shape and wrapped in greaseproof paper, she would need to queue up and the choice was either "fresh" butter which was unsalted or Danish which was slightly salted. It was fascinating to watch the grocer use two wooden butter pats to shape it for you. The butter came over from Denmark in wooden tubs.

Those Funsters who come from Glasgow might remember Henry Healey's grocers in and around the city, they had several branches in the 60's and 70's. Sadly, I think now the only Healey's shops left are sandwich takeaways :Sad:

And before anyone mentions cholesterol, my parents who are now in their mid to late 80's have never had any heart problems and neither are overweight:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
From what I can gather, it seems most prefer butter, and some prefer something else, but they know not what it is, other than it comes in a plastic tub and it spreads straight from the fridge. Tipping the scales at around 18 stone am not really into dietary things, but I never understood why some drink alcohol free beer either, when water is available almost everywhere for free ::bigsmile:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Me I likes me butter sliced thinish on my fresh bread toast
Preferably from a coal fire for added taste

Unfortunately I can only have it from the grill or toaster now

And I only cooks with virgin olive oil sunflower oil or lard
If it says marge I replace it with butter when mrs t isn't watching :Blush:

Mrs t has that axle grease stuff
I'd sooner go without than that muck

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
.... I never understood why some drink alcohol free beer either, when water is available almost everywhere for free ::bigsmile:.

well Dave .. hard to believe maybe, but some (including me) actually enjoy the taste of beer without the need or desire for alcohol.. I imagine some may drink it for religious reasons..

long gone are the days when alcohol free beer tasted like gnats pee.. it's actually very good..
I've blind tested it on my friends at a BBQ .. and the subjects were none the wiser.. in fact they commented on how good it was... until I told them .. :roflmto:

your water analogy could be said of all non alcoholic drinks.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I am not keen on the taste of butter, though SWMBO has it, and I will have it if nothing else is available.
I like and and always use Flora Pro-active, it's four times the price of butter but I much prefer it. It also has benefits of reducing cholesterol.

As an aside I also drink alcohol free beer if I'm driving, as I like the taste of beer and dislike things like coke with a passion.

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
from what I've seen in replies,
butter is better but ... what butter is better?

whats yours?

2dogs

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
from what I've seen in replies,
butter is better but ... what butter is better?

whats yours?

2dogs

As mentioned in my earlier post it has to be LURPAK:thumb:

Can't wait to try the new "slow-churned" Lurpak with organic cream that's just come out.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
hard to believe maybe, but some (including me) actually enjoy the taste of beer without the need or desire for alcohol..
<snip>
long gone are the days when alcohol free beer tasted like gnats pee.. it's actually very good..
I drink beer because I like the taste & the alcohol is a nuisance, because I have to stop just after I've started if I have to drive or just before I fall over if I don't. I also play quite a lot of music in pub sessions & after the 3nd pint the fingers just don't work quite the same.

The problem is, all the non-alcohol beers I've tried so far taste so vile I wouldn't drink them if they had the alcohol in them, never mind without. So I'm really interested if you can suggest some that do taste good.

Most of the ones I've tried have a sort of chemically slightly metallic after-taste, but then so do some keg bitters. I'm not sure what it is that produces that particular flavour, but I'd love to find something without it.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Just before we were married,my wife bought a tub of margarine and left it in her car on a hot day.When she remembered she opened the tub and was horrified to see a lump of a plastic like substance in the container,I resisted the temptation to say 'I told you so',only buy marg for my eldest daughter who is lactose intolerant.
There is some snobbery around butter and margarine and how you pronounce margarine is supposed to indicate if you are a regular consumer is it margerine or marGGareen? Stork was always referred to as 'Axle grease' whenever it appeared on expeditions when they produced butter in cans that was a lifesaver.
I can believe it not butter!

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I drink beer because I like the taste & the alcohol is a nuisance, because I have to stop just after I've started if I have to drive or just before I fall over if I don't. I also play quite a lot of music in pub sessions & after the 3nd pint the fingers just don't work quite the same.

The problem is, all the non-alcohol beers I've tried so far taste so vile I wouldn't drink them if they had the alcohol in them, never mind without. So[HI] I'm really interested if you can suggest some that do taste good.[/HI]

Most of the ones I've tried have a sort of chemically slightly metallic after-taste, but then so do some keg bitters. I'm not sure what it is that produces that particular flavour, but I'd love to find something without it.

I like Bavaria and Beck's Blue.. both taste (to me) like continental lagers ..

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
I was brought up just outside Glasgow,and I remember my old mum if we were a bit flush and dad hadn't spent most of the wages in the way home in the pub on Friday,she would buy this block of butter with a "Coo" stamped on it,she swore by it.:Smile:

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Or make your own. It's very easy and tastes much better than any you can buy.
100 years ago when I had goats I made some goats butter, yuk! It tasted like a male goat smells.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I often used to to have to go to work in the Stork margarine works in Bromborough on the Wirral, they also made lots of other products under the Margarine label but Storks main constituent was fish oil or as they called it marine oil .

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Always buy lurpak butter:) but foolishly a couple of yrs ago I bought 2 lb tubs of Lurpak lighter because it was on offer and cheap -NOW IF YOU HAVE NEVER TRIED THE STUFF ----DON'T----- it was the nearest thing to axle grease on your toast :eek:Threw both tubs away -proper waste of money :LOL:
Now on the subject of butter ,to make a butter spreadable from the fridge what quantity of Marg/etc is added to the butter ?
I seem to remember that about 25% was added and they still can get away with calling it butter ?
terry

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Always buy lurpak butter:) but foolishly a couple of yrs ago I bought 2 lb tubs of Lurpak lighter because it was on offer and cheap -NOW IF YOU HAVE NEVER TRIED THE STUFF ----DON'T----- it was the nearest thing to axle grease on your toast :eek:Threw both tubs away -proper waste of money :LOL:
Now on the subject of butter ,to make a butter spreadable from the fridge what quantity of Marg/etc is added to the butter ?
I seem to remember that about 25% was added and they still can get away with calling it butter ?
terry

We feel the same about Lurpak.......it has to be the "proper" one, none of this "lightest" nonsense. But they do add vegetable oil to it to make it spreadable, you're right about the 25%, I've just checked ours. But I use proper block butter for making Scottish tablet though(y)

Have you tried the new buttery Bertolli? It's not bad.....but we always go back to Lurpak in the end.

Margaret

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I was brought up just outside Glasgow,and I remember my old mum if we were a bit flush and dad hadn't spent most of the wages in the way home in the pub on Friday,she would buy this block of butter with a "Coo" stamped on it,she swore by it.:Smile:

I remember going into Glasgow with my Mum in the early 70's and going to Henry Healey's grocers, they sold fresh butter and they would pat it into blocks and wrap in greaseproof paper. They sold what they called "fresh" which was unsalted and another version that they called Danish, and it was slightly salted.........beautiful butter it was(y) But the shops all closed down over the years and there are only Healey's branches selling sandwiches/filled rolls now:(

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Rancid is a little used word these days.

No, far from rancid......this was the best butter around then (late 60s/early 70s) just like butter straight from an old-fashioned dairy(y) Sadly long gone.....:( Remember this?

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
It's always butter now, nothing else will do, but as a lad it had to be dripping - the butter ration didn't go far enough! Anyone done an analysis (fats etc.) on dripping? The dark brown stuff at the bottom of the jar/basin was the best.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back