1. Untitled Document

Bristol Balloon Fiesta

Discussion in 'MOTORHOME CHAT' started by SUGGY, Jul 20, 2013.

1. SUGGY

SUGGY Funster

Is anyone going and does any one know of a camp site (cheap) nearby ,

i have been on the BBF web site but their camping is only for tents :Doh:

i thought it would be a good weekend to do before going to Malvern :Cool:

G n R
  2. Brisey

Brisey Funster

Hi Graham, the Motor Caravanners Club hold a rally at the Bristol Baloon Fiesta every year. You will have to be a member of the MCC to attend, the rally is organised by their Avon Group and is situated right outside the entrance to the park where the event is held. I believe that the C&CC also hold a rally nearby.

Brisey
  3. SUGGY

SUGGY Funster

Thanks for that ,

we are in the Camping & Caravan Club , sods law says were in the wrong one :cry:,

i will try their web site .

Graham
  4. Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil Funster

Hi Graham
    we have been there before and used the MCC rally field.
    The CCC or the CC do have a rally there. I think the caravan club use a school a little further away. The CCC one might have been the next field along from the MCC.
    Its worth being close as the early morning one comes right over your heads, and there is a picture of me watching it from my bed, lol.
    Have fun
    Pat
    1 person likes this.
  5. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster-Life Member

6. SUGGY

SUGGY Funster

I did look at this one , but it is about 12 miles away , and a bit far to cycle at 6 am , :Eeek:

Was hoping to find something a bit nearer but thanks for the information .:thumb:

Graham
  7. Detnor

Detnor Funster

8. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster - Life Member

Hi Graham,

It's as Brisey and Pat4Neil have posted. The MCC are in the field to the left of the pub, and the C&CC are in a field to the right of the pub, but further along the same road, (within walking distance). The CC are in the school grounds at the bottom of the hill, near the roundabout, and the Park & Ride is on the right, again, at the bottom of the hill near the roundabout.

When the weather is fine, it's a smashing location and event. :thumb:

Have a good time.

Cheers,

Jock & Rita.
  9. chippy63

chippy63 Funster

Suggy if you find out any info, on camping could you let me know as we would be interested
    In going.

Karl
  10. JockandRita

Smashing photo Detnor. :thumb:

I tried to post a couple too, showing how close the balloons can get on take off, but I am on an intermittent 3G signal at the moment. :Sad:

Cheers,

Jock.
  11. B-well

B-well Funster

Cotham park rugby club is where i have stayed perviously, as far as i can remember you walk across golf course or something similar to the fiesta.
    have stayed x3 times does get booked up quickly but managed still to turn up and get in.:thumb:
  12. TrishandTerry

TrishandTerry Funster

No need to be in any of the club's as I found out last year, we joined the mcc club just to go to the balloon festival as the caravan club was full and when we arrived we saw a general camping area in front of us nearer to the festival gates than we were, just pays your money at the gate and anyone can park there.
    Right opposite the entry gates for the festival, lovely seeing all the balloons rising morning and evening.
    Would have saved my £30 + of joining fee as I haven't used them since and have now cancelled, too many meets up north for us.
    Brilliant day out though, very hot as well, too hot in fact for our little dog Susie, couldn't leave her in the van, had to carry her around the show, lucky she was small, poor mite has gone now though.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  13. catspyjamas

catspyjamas Funster

I noticed on the Fiesta website that there was mention of camping - must be the one mentioned here.
    I'm a local so don't have to worry about camping for this one :thumb::thumb:
    1 person likes this.
  14. TrishandTerry

TrishandTerry Funster

Not just camping, there were big and small motorhomes , RV,s there and trailer tents in fact anything that you could sleep in !
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  15. Detnor

Detnor Funster

The Balloon Fiesta is one of those events that is made for motorhomes, you can sit outside having breakfast watching the mass ascents (the gun goes off at 6am) or the 6pm ascent and on two nights, go to the nightglow, where they light up the balloons followed by fireworks. Not forgetting of course, a visit by the Red Arrows.

The weather is always the controlling factor, but with reasonable conditions, a good event. Take the park and ride into Bristol, but on Saturday, the traffic is very heavy.

And for all you twiiter fans, @bristolballoon provides all the latest flight info.

And of course....to get in is free:Smile:

Whichever site you use, have a good time.

16. SUGGY

SUGGY Funster

I tried the Balloon web site and it says " Tents Only " , :Doh:

The reply from my email to C & CC says nearest site 12 miles away ( local da type meet ), no mention of any arrangement near Balloon field . :Eek!:

I will phone the B B F on Monday , Watch this space ... :thumb:

Graham
  17. JockandRita

They have possibly relocated Graham, as I met up with friends in that pub I referred to. We were with the Avon MCC, and they were with the C&CC, and only a short walk away.

Good luck phoning the BBF tomorrow. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.
  18. SUGGY

SUGGY Funster

Ha Ha , you must have known something Jock ... Is this you > :Rofl1:

In the last 2 hours , I have emailed and phoned every man and his dog in Bristol,

The man at the Estate says only cars allowed into the Balloon Fiesta car park ,
    no Camper Vans or MH's .

The man at the Official Camping are says only cars are allowed in with tents ,
    ( try next year , it may change )

The Tourist Information says go to the Campsites (12 miles away ) ,

The CC & C says there are no Caravans or Motor home parking this year as far as they know. but there is a meet 11 miles away .

BUT where do i park when i come to the Fiesta ...... :cry:
  19. JockandRita

Things must have changed in recent years then Graham.

I have just checked the Avon MCC website, and the Avon CC Centre website, and both rallies are listed, with the CC being full with a waiting list. You can join the MCC on arrival, or download their application form >>HERE<<. :Smile: Another angle in the big touring plan perhaps? :Wink:
    Pre-booking for the MCC Rally is not required, but if pitching with friends, you have to arrive together.

Cheers.

Jock.
  20. Detnor

Detnor Funster

The Parsonage Farm site used by Avon MCC is right opposite one of the gates into the arena area, the balloon take off area is just on the other side of the road. During the event, one of the farm fields is used for day parking, I don't think it matters what you are driving, as long as you pay!

The MCC rally site has no facilities, and it is on a slope, but you can watch the balloons from your own van. And if you have a Heki rooflight, remember, balloons can appear over the roof.