1. Untitled Document

Bricking it

Discussion in 'MOTORHOME CHAT' started by Jim, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader Staff Member

For the first 10 years of his life my son as good as grew up on drop zones all over UK and Europe. He's always wanted to skydive for as long as he can remember. For 2 years he has saved every envelope of Christmas and birthday money and banked all his wages from a part time job at Cotswold Outdoor. His goal to raise £2500 to do an AFF Course (Accelerated Freefall)

Training now done, as soon as the cloud lifts this morning he will ascend to 13500ft in one of the fastest jump ships around (ironically called a Cessna CARAVAN:Laughing: and along side two experienced skydivers he'll jump.

I don't know what I'm scared about, I know he'll be safe. The sport's not for everyone but I know he'll love it. So why when laid in bed this morning, thinking about my son waking up in his tent at Langer airfield, on the morning of his first jump, do I feel so strange. I'm suffering with terrible nerve's, jealousy, excitement and pride all rolled into one, it's really weird. I should be there, but I'm sure he's glad I'm not, boys need to escape from their dads at sometime. :Cool: He's going to have a great day - Blue Skies James have a good one:thumb:
    47 people like this.
  2. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

And so say all of us:thumb:
    1 person likes this.
  3. Emmenay

Emmenay Funster

Jim, very sentimental......Speaking as a parent are you sure you won't regret not being there?
  4. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster - Life Member

All the very best to young James, from Rita and I please Jim. :thumb:

He's got some balls, eh? :Wink:

Jock.
  5. Pamelaaar

Pamelaaar Funster

I'm sure James will enjoy every moment. Sometimes Jim, being a parent is the most difficult but the most rewarding job in the whole world.
    2 people like this.
  6. old-mo

old-mo Funster - Life Member

He will be fine...... and will look forward to the next and the next... :thumb:

I think it`s a bit of jealousy on dad`s part... your not to old to have a go Jim... :Wink::BigGrin:
  7. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster

Yes you have to let them go eventually but that's a hell of a way to do it. My son was due to do a tandem jump last month but it was weathered off so still to come, but he is 40! :Rofl1:

Good luck, hope it all goes well.
    :thumb:
  8. ukbill

ukbill Funster

he will be fine and u will be proud i can se u now with a massive grin on ya face
  9. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Nevermind his Dad, what's his Mum feeling like this morning?
    3 people like this.
  10. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

James its a wonderful experience and I am sure you will have a fantastic day.

Here is hoping the sky is clear leaving wonderful views. It always over far too quickly.

Hope mum and dad are going along to video and photograph it.

Jim, use this as a practice run - if you are bricking it now, wait till he announces he is getting married :RollEyes::RollEyes:

Sian, you always give everyone support so I am especially thinking of you today xxxx sending you all big hugs

Looking forward to seeing some photos of this wtggggggg James
  11. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Funster

Too few youngsters have such a sense of adventure. Apart from the jumping the travel and camaraderie will make him a better man.
    Sit back and wallow in his enthusiasm.
    2 people like this.
  12. beerdrinker1

beerdrinker1 Funster

Thats nice Jim, Thanks for sharing it with us,

Ken
    :thumb: :drink::drink::drink:
    1 person likes this.
  13. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

I'm sure everything will be fine.
    Personally I could never see the point of jumping out of a plane when it's running perfectly well:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    1 person likes this.
  14. tonka

tonka Funster

He's going to be non stop talking about it later and a memory for life.. :thumb:

I have an 8 year old here who is already asking about it..

On my AFF course with a friend.. He froze the whole way down and they had to pull the cord for him.. Stupid bugger had paid to have himself filmed, not much to see except the instructor trying to force him to do the movement :Rofl1::Rofl1:
  15. Chris

Chris Funster - Life Member

He's brave. Not surprised you are nervous.

My son is into the more sedate white water rafting and am always so relieved when he calls me afterwards.

Hope he enjoys it. Great effort saving all that money:thumb:
  16. icantremember

icantremember Funster

He will be fine Jim ..... not sure about you though.

As members of Brit Stops we stayed overnight at Langar airfield earlier this year and watched some of the sky diving.

I did offer to send Joyce up but she reckoned her diary was full and didn't have time!:Wink:
  17. froghopper

froghopper Funster

Free fall

He will love it, but this is just the start. I was last intake of national service and was in 2 para. Did 12 take offs but no landings, well not in a plane any way. Am to old and brittle now, but still jealous of him,, good luck. Best wishes, froghopper
  18. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster

you don't think he was daft enough to tell her what he was doing do you ?.... :Rofl1:
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
    5 people like this.
  19. Loujess

Loujess Funster

How fabulous and what a brave boy. As a mum, I'd be running all over the place with a mattress for him to land on. :BigGrin:

Ivy
    5 people like this.
  20. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

Dont miss it Jim, if you get the chance go and watch , i did with my son 20 years ago and i still remember the feelings i had that day ,i was frightened to death but got a great feeling watching that chute open .I had to run to the loo to wipe my eyes as must have got some dust in them lol. GO FOR IT.:thumb: