Bottled Gas questions (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2020
Woking, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
Firstly thanks to all those cleverer than me ( not difficult) who over the years have answered my dummy questions.

I have inherited in my moho 2 biggish butane cylinders from Four Seasons Fuels and have had refills in the past from them with no issues.
For my info. the bottles have no neck collar plate like Calor Gas have. But painted on the cylinders are 11.6kg in one and 11.5kg on the other.
The one in use weighed in today at 14.7kg and the other unused one weighed in at 22.5kg.
I am about to embark on a month in Europe so want to ensure I take enough. We will hook up every night so usage is for kettle in morning and BBQ in evening only.
I reckon I have more than ample but going forward is it a simple calculation as to how much is in each cylinder. Am I right to assume the painted numbers relate to unladen weight of each cylinder?
Finally (and I know this is a dumb question) what do people suggest is good gas quantities per week.
Again many thanks one and all.
Alan MonaOwner

IMG-20240417-WA0006.jpg

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I use Gaslow refillables so not quite the same but...

We use about 11KG of gas in 2 weeks camping off grid in summer. (No EHU) So that's Gas fridge, cooking, Tea/coffee all day for 2, Hot water heating for 2 showers a day and hot water for washing up.

So I think you have loads for your use in a month.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
But be aware that if going somewhere cold Butane stops working at about -2 degrees. (It's not freezing as that about -140 degrees, but cannot vapourise below about -2 to produce gas. Propane and Autogas do not suffer from this in our normal temperature ranges. .

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
Bear in Mind you are unlikely to be able to get those cylinders filled up or exchanged in Europe.
Calor Gas is no good in Europe either.

I use Safefill Autogas which can be filled up in Europe. (Just Like Gaslow, Gasbank, etc),but you will need EU adapters.

If you get stuck abroad, CampingGaz is widely available.

Butane has a higher calorific value than propane, so that will make the gas last longer.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mona Owner
Oct 2, 2020
Woking, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
I use Gaslow refillables so not quite the same but...

We use about 11KG of gas in 2 weeks camping off grid in summer. (No EHU) So that's Gas fridge, cooking, Tea/coffee all day for 2, Hot water heating for 2 showers a day and hot water for washing up.

So I think you have loads for your use in a month.
Thanks for your reply. 😁

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mona Owner
Oct 2, 2020
Woking, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
But be aware that if going somewhere cold Butane stops working at about -2 degrees. (It's not freezing as that about -140 degrees, but cannot vapourise below about -2 to produce gas. Propane and Autogas do not suffer from this in our normal temperature ranges. .
Thanks, I will note that. Although we are traveling in the mountains at times, I think we will be fine with temps. Clearly I would rather have propane but inherited the butane bottles with the Moho and they won't swap them out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mona Owner
Oct 2, 2020
Woking, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
Bear in Mind you are unlikely to be able to get those cylinders filled up or exchanged in Europe.
Calor Gas is no good in Europe either.

I use Safefill Autogas which can be filled up in Europe. (Just Like Gaslow, Gasbank, etc),but you will need EU adapters.

If you get stuck abroad, CampingGaz is widely available.

Butane has a higher calorific value than propane, so that will make the gas last longer.
Thanks for the heads up.
👍

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I have had 2 recent trips in last couple months...
Both for 8 nights and on hookup, so gas only for kettle.. oven and hob cooking every night,
We have a underslung tank but filled it up 2days ago and only got 6lts into it which is 3kgs..usage for 16 days..
So IMO you will have more than enough gas...

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You haven't said where you are going anywhere high up will be cold at night and butane won't work.

It stops gasing off at 0°C but flow rate reduces at about 10°C. Even in warmer weather butane won't support the flow rate a Trumer heater requires.

You really need to change to propane.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back