Best type/make of used motorhome for two people.... (1 Viewer)

Paxton

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
England
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
a big zero
......on a budget.

I know it's a 'how long of is a piece of string' kinda thing but it's all very overwhelming.

It's gotta have a loo though! :whistle:

I figure this is the best site for the best advice. (y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
How old are you willing to go and how much is your budget?

How much work would you want to do to mechanics, bodywork and interior?

Everyone will have their own preference of course.....

Are you thinking PVC or coach built?

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
on a budget means different things to different people give us some idea of funds available then maybe we can offer advise

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When we started looking for our second (current) van I drew up a checklist of the features we wanted. You will find it Link Removed. It's most unlikely that it will match your requirements but you may find it useful to help you start a list of your own.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Paxton

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
England
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
a big zero
Hi puddleduck, up to maybe 15 years, interior not a problem, bodywork and mechanics more so.

Mitzimad, about £6000 to £8000 :(

GJH, Thank you, that's a great idea.

It's a lot to ask I know.

Upvote 0

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Mmm you might be struggling to find one at 15 years old for that budget your probably looking more at 20 years old

That said there's plenty around for that money which are still in good use able condition .....but don't expect anything too plush

Ebay and gumtree are good for looking at what's available

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How do you intend to use it? Do you want something that you can park easily as you tootle around, or do you instead plan on using sites for a week or so at at time and use public, or other types of transport, to get about?

Do you want a coachbuilt or a panel van conversion? You could consider a 'classic' instead which would come in your budget range and hopefully not lose value so much as a non-classic one.

As well as the cost of the MH you need to put some money aside for insurance, MOT, servicing etc but most importantly repairs as you will surely have to do some with an older vehicle.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The only genuine answer is one you can afford that has the layout you can live with. Older vans in your price range may possibly have a portapotti rather than a cassette WC. You say you are ok with interiors, why not convert a van yourself, bed, cooker and loo will get you started then you can add to it as you find a need. That way you can spend a reasonable sum on a more modern base vehicle. however Coachbuilds in the 15-20 year old are usually well built and often low mileage. an early Hymer may be a bit more juicy than a modern van but it will be fitted to a good standard and I have seen some on ebay in your price range. Our last van was a 1981 and just this week have seen two 1973 vans on our campsite (1 over here for holidays from Germany) So they are about, will get you around but naturally like anything old needs care and attention on a more regular basis.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Paxton

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
England
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
a big zero
I'm a bit nervous about buying on eBay but will def take a look, especially at the Hymers.

Thank you all for you advice and patience with a newbie.

Upvote 0

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I'm a bit nervous about buying on eBay but will def take a look, especially at the Hymers.

Thank you all for you advice and patience with a newbie.
Ive bought over 30 cars from ebay and my last 4 mh's

Just don't part with any cash till you view in person .....not even a deposit

All that stuff people put up about deposits within 24/48 hours etc ....unenforceable just ignore it .....pay cash on collection after a thorough check over ....if not as described walk away ....

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back