williamb

Free Member
Apr 28, 2008
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Hi I would like to fit a outside BBQ point the easiest way I can see to get gas supply from would be fridge gas supply can anyone tell me if this would be ok I intended putting a t- piece in to do this.:thumb:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Hi I would like to fit a outside BBQ point the easiest way I can see to get gas supply from would be fridge gas supply can anyone tell me if this would be ok I intended putting a t- piece in to do this.:thumb:

We had one fitted and I say fitted as I could have done it, but playing with gas I thought need some sort of back up.
We use it all the time when the safari room is up. Pay someone to fit it and give you peace of mind that it is done right.

OP
OP
williamb

williamb

Free Member
Apr 28, 2008
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Bbq

I don't know where piece of mind I have had two jobs done in the past by so called professionals. Damp check being one van one year old told tested and perfect(( had to go back to swift damp as a sponge took five months to repair)) next had sat-dish fitted noticed clothes in wardrobe wet(( fitter did not seal entry hole for cable)) so don't want any more professionals at this time. There most be some good ones out there but unfortunately I don't seem to get them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

In my MH all the appliance pipes are mighty thin. Look like they are sized for the job.

But I did have a blanked off outlet on the 4 switch main gas manifold, added extra tap and BBQ point. Job's a good 'un.

I used this one, a seriously proper job connector.

Link Removed

OP
OP
williamb

williamb

Free Member
Apr 28, 2008
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Bbq

That's the exact one I have bought. The pipe for my fridge is 8 mm and has a single joint compression fitting just where I want it to be I was going to remove that and replace with t- piece so I think it should be ok.

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Got a BBQ point fitted and it is a great job. No more need to carry out gas cylinder - however, getting someone to fit it means that the system can be pressure checked to make sure there are no leaks.
Go for it.:Smile:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
fit it yourself, pressuirse the system then spray some water with washing up liquid in it and check for bubbles, or you can buy a can of proper leak detector spray, which is essentially the samr thing but around a fiver.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I don't know where piece of mind I have had two jobs done in the past by [HI]so called professionals[/HI]. Damp check being one van one year old told tested and perfect(( had to go back to swift damp as a sponge took five months to repair)) next had sat-dish fitted noticed clothes in wardrobe wet(( fitter did not seal entry hole for cable)) so don't want any more professionals at this time. There most be some good ones out there but unfortunately I don't seem to get them.

Feel sorry for you as that would piss me off lots, however in Spain I have no problems finding professional people ( all be it Spanish people as the "Brits" rip the "Brits" off ).
Here in Spain when I have the yearly check done without the correct paperwork for gas/electric etc they will not pass the MH.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That's the exact one I have bought. The pipe for my fridge is 8 mm and has a single joint compression fitting just where I want it to be I was going to remove that and replace with t- piece so I think it should be ok.

I'd suggest a valve in line just in case. If the bbq point jammed open ( very unlikely ) you'd lose your fridge too.

You'll have to suck and see on flow. Light up the bbq and see if the fridge fails. The bbq will take significantly more gas then the fridge.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hoping to fit one before Thursday when we head of on our hols, only thing is I have 3. 12 hour shifts to do so might give my local mobile guy a phone and get him to do it.

I was looking at one that had a red cut off valve inside the box where you push the BBQ pipe into, if doing it myself I would just stick a T in where the main pipe comes from the locker that way I would only need a couple of feet of pipe.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
This is the one I was thinking of mainly because I know someone who bought it and now doesn't need it.

Link Removed

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
re fitting in the fridge line, we had a bbq outlet fitted by the dealer at new and it was tee'd into the fridge line. we have the Truma outlet.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Bullfinch is best.

When turning off the connector has a ball valve and O ring, same setup as a washing machine tap, so unless the ball or O ring is badly worn or damaged it cannot leak.

The Truma type relies on a spring loaded plunger and an O ring.
Any dirt/grit on the O ring or valve seat will allow gas to leak.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I did exactly as you propose. I removed the fridge vent and had easy access to the gas pipe.
Cut in a T piece and fitted a Bullfinch BBQ point into the skirt of the van. Checked it over with leak detection spray (washing up liquid and water). Whole job took about an hour.
However, if you don't feel confident get someone to fit it for you.:thumb:

winchester

Free Member
Jan 29, 2013
abermule powys
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1998
BBQ

I want to do the same and take it from the fridge with a t piece alsoIt should be possible
Don't see why not

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the only point I can see to mention is that you are then relying on just one isolator valve. if the fridge or bbq point need to be valved off, you lose the gas supply to the other

dont tee in too near the fridge connecter either as you will make it harder to service the fridge. allow enough flexibility to be able to slide fridge forward to disconnect

another easy access point to tee into is often the gas locker. just make sure to include an isolator. bbq points have been known to leak after use, so instead of shutting off all gas to the van, just turn off the branch affected:thumb:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Good thread, think ill add this one to my list.

Might T in just after theTruma MonoControl in the gas compartment.

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
fit it yourself, pressuirse the system then spray some water with washing up liquid in it and check for bubbles, or you can buy a can of proper leak detector spray, which is essentially the samr thing but around a fiver.

Hi don"nt use washing up liquid as the corgi[gas safe] inspector pulled me up on that and i am sure that its illegal to touch gas

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I fitted mine into the cooker supply on my previous van (Autocruise Starspirit)
BBQ4-M.jpg

BBQ3-M.jpg

BBQ%201-M.jpg

BBQ2-M.jpg

bbq-M.jpg

On my Rapido I've T'd off the underslung
CA_07091318322806-M.jpg

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I do all my own work as I am more than capable in all manner of craft skills. I was fortunate to have a PROPER apprenticeship in the 70's. I am always well aware of my own ability and never undertake anything that I am not confident of.
My experience of dealer and professional work is very negative.I've found plenty of examples on my current van that I have ripped out and re done correctly.
Conclusion
Don't assume that because you are paying that you are getting a quality job, always use people who are highly reciommended (plenty of that on here) and the only way to be 100% satisfied is to do it yourself if possible.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I do all my own work as I am more than capable in all manner of craft skills. I was fortunate to have a PROPER apprenticeship in the 70's. I am always well aware of my own ability and never undertake anything that I am not confident of.
My experience of dealer and professional work is very negative.I've found plenty of examples on my current van that I have ripped out and re done correctly.
Conclusion
Don't assume that because you are paying that you are getting a quality job, always use people who are highly reciommended (plenty of that on here) and the only way to be 100% satisfied is to do it yourself if possible.

I to was fortunate to have a PROPER apprenticeship in the 70's, but I´m not sure what that has to do with fitting a BBQ point. I'm also very capable in many areas ( jack of all trades - master of none ) but there are many on here that do not or can not do this sort of work, so look for advice on here.
Your experience of dealer and or professional work is your experience and partly ruled by your need to "do it your way" as again many owners would not look for examples of work in their MH, but simply just get on with using their MH.
I have nothing but respect for the local MH dealer here were I live and the workshop attached having had work done to a very high standard.
Your conclusion is partly right never assume anything, however doing it "yourself" - this for many could / would / might not be 100% correct even if they are satisfied.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
It's to do with gas and no certainty of quality of work just because you pay to have done.
This was a professional job :ROFLMAO:
CA_04081321532082-M.jpg

My remedial work
CA_04081321543527-M.jpg

Andy it is not a "dig" at you in any way, my point was and still is for many the first photo would do the job fine and many owners would never even look at it...... The second photo is the way you and I would have done it, but at the end of the day both do the job. Thats my point, not a dig at you.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back