1. Untitled Document

BBQ outside point.

Discussion in 'TECH/MECH GENERAL' started by williamb, Jul 21, 2013.

1. williamb

williamb Read Only Funster

Hi I would like to fit a outside BBQ point the easiest way I can see to get gas supply from would be fridge gas supply can anyone tell me if this would be ok I intended putting a t- piece in to do this.:thumb:
  2. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

We had one fitted and I say fitted as I could have done it, but playing with gas I thought need some sort of back up.
    We use it all the time when the safari room is up. Pay someone to fit it and give you peace of mind that it is done right.
    3 people like this.
  3. williamb

Bbq

I don't know where piece of mind I have had two jobs done in the past by so called professionals. Damp check being one van one year old told tested and perfect(( had to go back to swift damp as a sponge took five months to repair)) next had sat-dish fitted noticed clothes in wardrobe wet(( fitter did not seal entry hole for cable)) so don't want any more professionals at this time. There most be some good ones out there but unfortunately I don't seem to get them.
    1 person likes this.
  4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster

In my MH all the appliance pipes are mighty thin. Look like they are sized for the job.

But I did have a blanked off outlet on the 4 switch main gas manifold, added extra tap and BBQ point. Job's a good 'un.

I used this one, a seriously proper job connector.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORHOME...ervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item3f269fc6dc
  5. williamb

Bbq

That's the exact one I have bought. The pipe for my fridge is 8 mm and has a single joint compression fitting just where I want it to be I was going to remove that and replace with t- piece so I think it should be ok.
  6. weejohnw

weejohnw Funster

Got a BBQ point fitted and it is a great job. No more need to carry out gas cylinder - however, getting someone to fit it means that the system can be pressure checked to make sure there are no leaks.
    Go for it.:Smile:
  7. jb0371

jb0371 Funster

fit it yourself, pressuirse the system then spray some water with washing up liquid in it and check for bubbles, or you can buy a can of proper leak detector spray, which is essentially the samr thing but around a fiver.
  8. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Feel sorry for you as that would piss me off lots, however in Spain I have no problems finding professional people ( all be it Spanish people as the "Brits" rip the "Brits" off ).
    Here in Spain when I have the yearly check done without the correct paperwork for gas/electric etc they will not pass the MH.
  9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster

I'd suggest a valve in line just in case. If the bbq point jammed open ( very unlikely ) you'd lose your fridge too.

You'll have to suck and see on flow. Light up the bbq and see if the fridge fails. The bbq will take significantly more gas then the fridge.
  10. emjaiuk

emjaiuk Funster

IHHO it's worth looking at flexible pipe such as

http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=141

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LPG-Autog...ipe-kit-replaces-8mm-copper-R61-/221249338956

When I did mine it made the job a lot, lot easier.

Malcolm
  11. lorger

lorger Funster

Hoping to fit one before Thursday when we head of on our hols, only thing is I have 3. 12 hour shifts to do so might give my local mobile guy a phone and get him to do it.

I was looking at one that had a red cut off valve inside the box where you push the BBQ pipe into, if doing it myself I would just stick a T in where the main pipe comes from the locker that way I would only need a couple of feet of pipe.
  12. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

13. lorger

lorger Funster

14. Phill D

Phill D Funster

re fitting in the fridge line, we had a bbq outlet fitted by the dealer at new and it was tee'd into the fridge line. we have the Truma outlet.:thumb:
  15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster

Bullfinch is best.

When turning off the connector has a ball valve and O ring, same setup as a washing machine tap, so unless the ball or O ring is badly worn or damaged it cannot leak.

The Truma type relies on a spring loaded plunger and an O ring.
    Any dirt/grit on the O ring or valve seat will allow gas to leak.
  16. williamb

Thanks

Thanks to every one for the input....
  17. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster

I did exactly as you propose. I removed the fridge vent and had easy access to the gas pipe.
    Cut in a T piece and fitted a Bullfinch BBQ point into the skirt of the van. Checked it over with leak detection spray (washing up liquid and water). Whole job took about an hour.
    However, if you don't feel confident get someone to fit it for you.:thumb:
  18. winchester

winchester Funster

BBQ

I want to do the same and take it from the fridge with a t piece alsoIt should be possible
    Don't see why not
  19. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster-Life Member

the only point I can see to mention is that you are then relying on just one isolator valve. if the fridge or bbq point need to be valved off, you lose the gas supply to the other

dont tee in too near the fridge connecter either as you will make it harder to service the fridge. allow enough flexibility to be able to slide fridge forward to disconnect

another easy access point to tee into is often the gas locker. just make sure to include an isolator. bbq points have been known to leak after use, so instead of shutting off all gas to the van, just turn off the branch affected:thumb:
  20. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Good thread, think ill add this one to my list.

Might T in just after theTruma MonoControl in the gas compartment.