BBC radio on astra2 (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Timberland Destiny
I have an SD satellite system which I rarely use to be honest. However I have used it to listen to radio 4 when away in France when the signal is ok. Just tried and it seems the radio Chanel’s are no longer there along with the HD tv which is as to be expected.

So can the radio channels still be received somewhere, if not I think it is not worth keeping and just use data for radio. It does seem such a shame that a perfectly serviceable piece of kit can be rendered junk so easily.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I fell out of love with satellite so when we ordered the new van I didn't spec it so for BBC radio I just use BBC sounds and it works well. Our Freesat dish at home won't pick up BBC radio and a few other channels now so that might be junk as well as we only ever used it for radio in the house.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Freesat stopped broadcasting SD channels on 9 January so it's HD channels only now and a HD compatible receiver needed.
But the radio channels are still there, just not on the numbers they used to be on.
Have a search, I'm sure you'll find them

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
As the BBC moved to HD transmissions, this also applied to their Radio channels. So you need a HD receiver to be able to receive the BBC Radio channels via satellite, as they also moved from SD transmission to HD transmission.
On Sky and Freesat they are still on the same channel numbers they were before.

OP
OP
tidewatcher
May 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Timberland Destiny
Thanks for confirming it’s not me bumbling about. Reckon it’s time to take the dish off, shame as it’s a Caro “does it all itself” job. I suppose that’s progress..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for confirming it’s not me bumbling about. Reckon it’s time to take the dish off, shame as it’s a Caro “does it all itself” job. I suppose that’s progress..
I'd be inclined to keep the satellite dish if you use it for tv.
Streaming is ok if you have a 4g signal but when in the motorhome I frequently find I have little or no signal so oyster system comes into it's own, especially in France.
If you just use it for radio then maybe a decent FM / DAB radio ? But of course that won't work in France

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
We use a stand alone dish with a radio connected directly to the lnb. Never had a problem with radio anywhere.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I have an SD satellite system which I rarely use to be honest. However I have used it to listen to radio 4 when away in France when the signal is ok. Just tried and it seems the radio Chanel’s are no longer there along with the HD tv which is as to be expected.

So can the radio channels still be received somewhere, if not I think it is not worth keeping and just use data for radio. It does seem such a shame that a perfectly serviceable piece of kit can be rendered junk so easily.
Which part of your system is SD, ie, a seperate receiver, or the one built into the TV? Either can be replaced quite cheaply.
Our satellite sytem inherited from funflair above, is approaching 20 years old now, but with a non smart HD TV, we are receiving lots of UK HD TV and Radio in the UK, and most of the way through France and Germany, so I am reluctant to part with it yet. Anything outside those perameters, is covered by our Firestick and data usage.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
tidewatcher
May 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Timberland Destiny
Which part of your system is SD, ie, a seperate receiver, or the one built into the TV? Either can be replaced quite cheaply.
Our satellite sytem inherited from funflair above, is approaching 20 years old now, but with a non smart HD TV, we are receiving lots of UK HD TV and Radio in the UK, and most of the way through France and Germany, so I am reluctant to part with it yet. Anything outside those perameters, is covered by our Firestick and data usage.

Cheers,

Jock. :)
The Caro dish operates and seeks satellites ok. It’s the gubbins inside which is SD only and actually still uses a scart connection to the free view tv. I could replace the Caro gubbins inside for an HD comparable but it seems costly for what I use it for. I suppose I could run the satellite signal through the original to a decoder but then it’s another box and power source required. All this for uk and half way down France? Maybe try that and see how much of a faff it is before committing. Thanks to all.

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)

Recently replaced my Pace Javelin mini sky box with a Humax HB 1100S sat receiver so that I can now get HD, ie, all the BBC channels including radio.
Got the Humax box 2nd hand off f/b marketplace, cost £20, had to get a 12v lead off ebay, cost £7.
The Humax now connects to the Tv via an HDMI lead (Pace box to TV was scart lead), it still connects to the Camos control box using coax.
The swap was a bit fiddly, but it all works as it should. It will take a bit of getting used to as I've had the same Pace box set-up in 6 different vans over the last 15 years.

regards
Allen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back