Austrian vignette (1 Viewer)

Jul 13, 2011
Stoney Stanton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
Can you still purchase an Austrian vignette at motorway service stations and what info do you need to obtain them

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Can you still purchase an Austrian vignette at motorway service stations and what info do you need to obtain them
If it's anything like the Swiss one, yes, you can purchase in service stations (not all though) and you just need the dosh. No info about the vehicle but very specific instructions on where and how to attach to the windscreen - the Swiss vignette is so designed that once stuck on, it won't come off without destroying itself so it can't be swopped between vehicles.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
If you are under 3.5t it's easy - buy a sticker at e.g. a German autobahn service station close to the Austrian border.
It will be clearly advertised.

Go-box not too tricky as long as you have log book and proof of euro emission status.
(Though the East German said the computer couldn't cope with the fact that my house has a name rather than a number, and doesn't have a street name)

p.s. if I type < 3 together I get a :h:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Ideally don’t buy vignettes online unless you’re buying well in advance of travel. Depending on where you buy it might not be valid for 18 days due to local consumer law. They’re easy to buy locally.

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Yep, they ask how many days (min 10) then you pay and go, there is also the digital option from machines at some filling stations, you need to pay cash or debit card, it´s more complex with credit card due to consumer law.

They are non transferable between vehicles.

This is for up to 3500kg, if you are over then it´s the Go box route, use the Asfinag website for info or listen to funsters who have done this.....

I usually buy the 1 year for 99 € but then I live next door to Austria .....

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
If you are under 3.5t it's easy - buy a sticker at e.g. a German autobahn service station close to the Austrian border.

Go-box not too tricky as long as you have log book and proof of euro emission status.
(Though the East German said the computer couldn't cope with the fact that my house has a name rather than a number, and doesn't have a street name)

How do emissions effect the situation please ?

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
Austria is a Royal PIA if you are over 3.5t, you need a go box.

Switzerland use the VIA App, so much easier.
We always set the sat nav to no motorways, then no vignette needed & no tolls paid. Roads are very good & we were 5t tag axel. Never in a rush so no problem.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I should add I have Go box because I go each year skiing in Austria and the motorways reduce my stress when it's snowing.
In practice the Austrians are v helpful at the service station booths.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

If you are over 3.5t, the amount you pay will depend on your euro emission status.
No proof and you are put on the most expensive. - there is a big difference in per km price.
Under 3.5 and AFAIK it is all the same.
Same for car and caravan. Do you know.

Thanks for the info

Aug 29, 2019
Somerset, near Wincanton
Funster No
MH
Mirage 5000 A Class
Exp
Since 2019
What about the environmental sticker? We picked up a go box just at the border but want to go reasonably close to Vienna. Do we need the sticker as well as the go box? I can't see anywhere to buy a sticker other than online and posted, not much use as we aren't very far from Vienna tonight!

Aug 29, 2019
Somerset, near Wincanton
Funster No
MH
Mirage 5000 A Class
Exp
Since 2019
What about the environmental sticker? We picked up a go box just at the border but want to go reasonably close to Vienna. Do we need the sticker as well as the go box? I can't see anywhere to buy a sticker other than online and posted, not much use as we aren't very far from Vienna tonig
Meant add that we are over 3.5 tonne

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
What about the environmental sticker? We picked up a go box just at the border but want to go reasonably close to Vienna. Do we need the sticker as well as the go box? I can't see anywhere to buy a sticker other than online and posted, not much use as we aren't very far from Vienna tonight!
AFAIK the Austrian Pickerl sticker is only applicable to lorries (or indeed van/Lorry conversions) over 3.5t which have “N” in the vehicle category on the V5. I think a normal motorhome has the “M” on the V5 and doesn’t need one. Someone with more knowledge than me will let us both know if this is the case👍 I wish I was in Austria right now!! Enjoy👍👍

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Know someone who drove through Austria without anything and back out again last May also same this May and has not had anything through the post.
:whistle2: :whistle2:

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I used to get the vignette on my first 3.5t van, but I don’t use a go box on my 5t van, then again I don’t use motorways or expressways👍

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Having transited Austria twice in 2019, 2022 and again a few weeks ago, we found:
  • The easiest way to buy a Vignette is at the last petrol station in Germany or the first one in Austria.
  • You can also buy them in some border corner shops.
  • Although they may be available for shorter periods, it's difficult to buy for less than 10 days as the seller does not make enough markup to make it worthwhile selling shorter periods.
  • No paperwork is required to buy a Vignette
  • Ensure you stick the Vignette in the correct position (Top left of the screen, inside the wiper arc)
The over 3.5t Issue:
You have Three options:

Officially Vignettes are for vehicles plated at 3.5t and under.
It should be kept in mind that, unlike British vehicles, the vast majority of German, Austrian Italian etc motorhomes are under 3.5t.

If your van is plated 3.5t or under then is not an issue, however if you are over 3.5t then in the words of Dirty Harry Callaghan, you gotta ask yourself one question punk, do you feel lucky, well do ya ?

If your van 'looks' like all the other German 3.5 tonners, no tag axel, under 7.5m, no massive teardrop overhead bedroom, then you can probably get away with a Vignette.
(We are 6.75m and 3.9t and never even been looked at twice. We always get a Vignette, but if you get caught then there will be an on the spot fine to pay.)

If you are over 3.5t and it's obvious, then you have two options:

The free option:
It's possible to cross Austria on the A and B roads
How good is your navigator ?
It takes quite a degree of skill as the roads run parallel, all the signs and the SatNav will keep on trying to direct you to the main (vignette required) roads. One error, one closed road, one major roadworks, one dump of snow, and you will be on main roads.

The other option is to buy a GoBox - see many threads about GoBoxes on the forum.

Slovenia:
As a side note if you are then going onto Slovenia, you also need a Vignette, but the ONLY way of getting one is on line here before you arrive.
The Slovenians have now done away with paper Vignettes, it's all on ANPR now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back