Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
shame really the man offers to help and there is so much piss taking he may well not bother helping those who need it. There really should be some way to ensure a thread stays genuine.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I am certain Oddsocks has cottoned onto the fun side of things by now Roger :Smile: He did stick his head over the parapet though :thumb: He gives sound advice but you cannot make people take the advice :winky:No doubt I will be asking a few questions from time to time :thumb: Had a comp for over 20 yrs and still no nowt - just what I want to do
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
about computers.

I have had so much help from people in the Motor Home department, I would like to share my 25 years of accumulated computer tech with you. So weather it is a problem you can't solve, or just a "How do they do that?" Or something about computers you always wanted to know but never had anyone to ask....... ask me!

Tip of the day!

Quickly open explorer by holding down the windows key and pressing e

♪♫ ::bigsmile:

Brave boy....

There are some 'older' IT peeps on here who know all about EBCDIC and AS400's and the like... Even some live 'only' in the world of Linux, UNIX and other stuff...vi Shift ZZ

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
/thanks Oddsocks. That's very kind of you.... I'll try not to monopolise the thread as I have hundreds of questions... [HI]I am a bit dense[/HI] to say the least on computer technology so [HI]you will have to be very basic[/HI] in your answers...[HI] Looking forward to getting some of my problems sorted. :thumb:

Could be a long thread this one:ROFLMAO:

[/HI]
Joy you little flirt!!!! Playing the helpless maiden again I see to 'catch' your man ... we know you're really after his body!!!! ::bigsmile::winky:

:reel:

You been listening to the wrong advice again.....:Smile::winky: .... I've only just learned how to switch the darn machine on!!!!!!! [HI]Catching men my least desire[/HI] .... using the computer on the other hand ..:Doh::Doh:

Don't worry joy I have found you a nice one
thrown away his Glasses & Will nobble his
guide dog before Stratford.

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp

shame really the man offers to help and there is so much piss taking he may well not bother helping those who need it. There really should be some way to ensure a thread stays genuine.
Lighten up for god sake man.....:Eeek: :thumb:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Durrrrr !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to do with computers but .....................................

What is the meaning of life.............why are we here ?????????????????:Cool::Cool::Cool:

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
That's really nice, and how considerate!. There is something I would really like to know. Can integer factorization be done in polynomial time on a classical computer?

Depends on whether you agree that a Quantum Computer will be able to tackle this ....

Cheers

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
There really should be some way to ensure a thread stays genuine.

There is. Start one on politics, or maybe lemon sucking?? :thumb::winky:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Depends on whether you agree that a Quantum Computer will be able to tackle this ....

Cheers

Ahhhhh, a student of quantum mechanical phenomena. :thumb: I would say it probably could, depending of coarse on it's capability of managing the plankt concept. :thumb:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
[/B]
Could be a long thread this one:ROFLMAO:

[/HI]

:reel:

You been listening to the wrong advice again.....:Smile::winky: .... I've only just learned how to switch the darn machine on!!!!!!! [HI]Catching men my least desire[/HI] .... using the computer on the other hand ..:Doh::Doh:

Don't worry joy I have found you a nice one
thrown away his Glasses & Will nobble his
guide dog before Stratford.

Promises, promises, promises......:Smile:

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
:RollEyes::RollEyes:
JUST UNLOCKED OLD DONGLE FROM THREE. CAN'T GET IT TO CONNECT TO TESCO NET DO I NEED A NEW SIM CARD AS THE ONE I HAVE TRIED IS OUT MY PHONE. DO YOU HAVE TO PUT NEW INFO INTO DASHBOARD AS REGARDS NETWORK ETC.????? FUN!!FUN!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
:RollEyes::RollEyes:
JUST UNLOCKED OLD DONGLE FROM THREE. CAN'T GET IT TO CONNECT TO TESCO NET DO I NEED A NEW SIM CARD AS THE ONE I HAVE TRIED IS OUT MY PHONE. DO YOU HAVE TO PUT NEW INFO INTO DASHBOARD AS REGARDS NETWORK ETC.????? FUN!!FUN!

You will need a data sim for your dongle, not a phone sim, so that's your first problem, next you will need to change the APN settings on the dongle to whatever provider the data sim you get is for.

When a lot of people bought a specific MIFI (dongle) I did a webpage on how to get it up and running so some of the info on there might help you understand it all a bit more but obviously this was done for a specific MIFI unit so the way to change the APN on your dongle may be different.

http://melsweb.yolasite.com/

If you get stuck, pm me when you have your data sim and I'll help you through it. :Smile:

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ha ha!! What fun!

You been listening to the wrong advice again.....:Smile::winky: .... I've only just learned how to switch the darn machine on!!!!!!! Catching men my least desire .... using the computer on the other hand ..:Doh::Doh:

Odd socks, first question, every five minutes my machine puts a message up saying Motorhome fun is not responding. I click on the RECOVER box and it does recover it after a minute, but this is happening over and over again and it takes me forever to work through the posts.... Getting really cheesed off with it..:Angry:

Could be a dozen things here. Ummm..... First up, are we talking laptop, PC or tablet? Sounds like an intermittent internet connection issue. Does it say "Server not responding" or "motorhomefun.co.uk"? Recover. Odd. I can't imagine why it would say recover. Any chance you can send a screen shot?

I have a question :thumb:

Windows 8.

Why?

LOL - to increase the profit of Microsoft! Big backfire! It reduced their sales! :Doh:

Why use it? It is quick, relatively stable (After 8.1 upgrade) Fixes a bunch of issues with previous versions (Like memory management) and there is a lot of user control. The horrible Metro interface is horrible, but you don't have to use it. 8.1 boots directly to classic shell. Use the new start button to go back to Metro which you can set up as you require it with your favourite apps and programmes. Suddenly you fond that it is more usable and quicker to use than Win7. Every App or program I use regularly is 1 click away. (I don't like lots of desktop shortcuts) Every other program on the whole computer is no more than 2 clicks away. Pretty cool!

Learn 5 new things and you can use the new system like a pro:

1. Alt F4 closes a program in Metro interface.
  2. Move the mouse to the top left corner and drag down in Metro to see all your running apps and switch to them. In classic this will show you your Metro apps.
  3. Move your mouse to the right hand corners and move it up or down to see the charms bar. Various shortcuts.
  4. Right clicking on an app allows you to pin it to the start screen, task bar etc for easy access.
  5. Programms/apps run in either Metro or Classic.

Problem with my computer. I threw it out the window now it's not working... Why ...:ROFLMAO:

Throwing a computer out of the window does actually disable some key functions. Sounds like your computer is working exactly as it should! :ROFLMAO:

Brave boy....

There are some 'older' IT peeps on here who know all about EBCDIC and AS400's and the like... Even some live 'only' in the world of Linux, UNIX and other stuff...vi Shift ZZ

I cut my teeth on Unix systems. I remember vi like it was yesterday! Blimey, that was a long time ago! Did you know you can download a copy of the vi editor which runs in windows? It was very powerful. Didn't it combine sed and awk into it's abilities?

Fun thread! lol

If you do have a techie type issue, please let me have more info about it, and a screen shot if possible.

Handy Hint: If you hold down the Alt key when you press the print screen key, you will find it only screen dumps the active window, and not the entire screen!

:)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Oddsocks, it says Motorhomefun web not responding... and the box that comes up on the bottom says recover web page.

But why does it keep cutting off....

Also, if it helps, sometimes such as when I click on Notifications (top right of screen when someone likes or sends a pm) I get another box comes up. I tried to click on the url quickly so I could send it to you but it only stays on for a couple of seconds and another box covers it with different things... the latest one saying Win £500 Tesco vouchers. It looks false. I just click on the little x quickly. :Sad:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Re previous post, Stephen and Jeannie asked about the meaning of life, of course the answer to life, the universe and everything is 42. The question Oddsocks is why? I have tried to work this out whilst sober and failed miserably, hence I now am onto my severalnth glass of red stuff.
Ps my computer didn't help
Pps JJ has more computers n gadgets than PC World

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Doh::Doh:Flippin eck, Oddsocks .... fancy joining me in magic mushrooms...? Some of the questions being asked of you even God Howie couldn't answer.....:Sad:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Halluciinogens may be the answer! :thumb:

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Oddsocks, it says Motorhomefun web not responding... and the box that comes up on the bottom says recover web page.

But why does it keep cutting off....

Also, if it helps, sometimes such as when I click on Notifications (top right of screen when someone likes or sends a pm) I get another box comes up. I tried to click on the url quickly so I could send it to you but it only stays on for a couple of seconds and another box covers it with different things... the latest one saying Win £500 Tesco vouchers. It looks false. I just click on the little x quickly. :Sad:

Sounds like you may have some malware. Run (I just found out it is better then what I used before) MalwareBytes. Do a full virus scan too.

Re previous post, Stephen and Jeannie asked about the meaning of life, of course the answer to life, the universe and everything is 42. The question Oddsocks is why? I have tried to work this out whilst sober and failed miserably, hence I now am onto my severalnth glass of red stuff.
Ps my computer didn't help
Pps JJ has more computers n gadgets than PC World

The meaning of life is Math. Everything in the universe is controlled and explained by math.

Look at each letters position in the alphabet:

M 13
A 1
T 20
H 8
+
=====

The meaning of life is 42!!!!! :Cool:

:Doh::Doh:Flippin eck, Oddsocks .... fancy joining me in magic mushrooms...? Some of the questions being asked of you even God Howie couldn't answer.....:Sad:

My brightest star's my inner light let it guide me
Experience and innocence bleed inside me
Hallucinogens can open me or untie me
I drift in inner space, free of time
I find a higher state of grace, in my mind, I'm beautiful
I wasn't born to follow
I live just for today, don't care about tomorrow
What I've got in my head you can't buy, steal or borrow
I believe in live and let live, I believe you get what you give

I've glimpsed, I have tasted, fantastical places
My soul's an oasis, higher than the sun, ah
Higher than the sun, higher than the sun

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpvccejvVng]Source[/ame]

Get the kettle on, brush off those mushies, Some fantastical tea would be a real treat! lol :Eeek::Eeek:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
about computers.

I have had so much help from people in the Motor Home department, I would like to share my 25 years of accumulated computer tech with you. So weather it is a problem you can't solve, or just a "How do they do that?" Or something about computers you always wanted to know but never had anyone to ask....... ask me!

Tip of the day!

Quickly open explorer by holding down the windows key and pressing e

♪♫ ::bigsmile:

Not on my windows 7 it doesn't?

electrajohnt

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I am a newbie
Ford Prefect

Sounds like you may have some malware. Run (I just found out it is better then what I used before) MalwareBytes. Do a full virus scan too.

The meaning of life is Math. Everything in the universe is controlled and explained by math.

Look at each letters position in the alphabet:

M 13
A 1
T 20
H 8
+
=====

The meaning of life is 42!!!!! :Cool:

Source

Get the kettle on, brush off those mushies, Some fantastical tea would be a real treat! lol :Eeek::Eeek:

I think it was Al who said that, wasn't it?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not on my windows 7 it doesn't?

On mine running Windows 7 if I press the Windows key and 'e' it brings up the 'Computer' folder ... great as I often want to open it!!! :thumb:

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Originally Posted by Carol Link Removed
Hi, and thanks... My computer takes quite a while to start up and says I have a long running file, any solution please :Smile:

Any thoughts on this one please :Smile:

Startup problems are always the big question. Could be anything.

As a general rule, things that slow your computer down are startup tasks which are not competing properly. There are also issues with what software you have/have had on your computer.

Guidlines to a faster startup include not having loads of programs running in your notification area, not having loads of files saved on your desktop, Not running a virus scan on every boot up. All sorts.

There are some people on the internet whom I have used before that will dignose your problems, but you need to be quite an advanced user to use their help. It involves downloading an application which will monitor your computer as it starts up and then you send them a report. They use this to diagnose the problems and then send you a list of tasks to complete. These generally include cleaning the registry, deleting start up entries, and changing how programs behave at boot time, and uninstalling unwanted stuff.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but the variables involved are huge! Which Operating system are you running, how many programmes installed, and uninstalled, how old is it......

I am not sure what a long running file is. Does it say Long Running Script? This is usually associated with a web page not working properly. Let me know exactly what it says.

Generally, a computer needs to be replaced after 5 years. By this time, without regular maintenance it will be running like a drain, and will have all sorts of problems. Best thing to do is make sure you have a full backup of all your data and get PC World or another trusted expert to reinstall the system from scratch. This can be a huge job if you have lots of programmes installed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back