Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
As most of us do alot of the work on our motorhomes I was wondering if this thread had popped up before.

Asbestos as we all know is a killer "oftern called The hidden killer" and was not banned from materials in the U.K untill 2000, we must assume that motorhomes contain it too in for instance..... brake linings, clutches, bitumen products, beakolite, fuse cloth, generators, water and electrical wrap/insulation, vinyl floor coverings and adhesive, engine cowl insulation, some older type R.V wall insulation infills, air con units, furnace gaskets and insulation, fridges and can be even found in drinking water.

My point is that you could be doing some work on your motorhome and quite unknowingly contaminate yourselves, your clothes, the van and even your family with this deadly fibre.....there are 3 main types of asbestos used in the Europe and the USA. WHITE, BLUE & BROWN (chrysotile, chrocidolite and amasite) each one as deadly as the other.

Asbestos products are quite warm to the touch usually (depending on the percentage of it's asbestos content) and usually appears a greyish white colour unless painted. and if you see anything that looks like that then you should get it sampled and checked out for your own good.

As most people know there has to be a survey and asbestos action/management plan for all businesses in the U.K and USA, next will be domestic properties.

So as a full timer I have already done mine and was pleased only to find a few bits of asbestos in Winnie ::bigsmile:

My point is be carefull as you never know....................if anyone needs any advice about asbestos in your van then please p.m me, i will be happy to help :winky:

Boo

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Asbestos killed my dad. He recalled that he got a contract to install asbestos roofs to hundreds of garages on a new housing estate in the early 60s. In bad weather they would cut the asbestos sheets with a circular saw in a large garage which also doubled as the workforce tea room. Aged 63, he got diagnosed with asbestosis mesothelioma in 1999 was given six months to live.

I read somewhere that hundreds of schools are riddled with it:whatthe:

OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Asbestos killed my dad. He recalled that he got a contract to install asbestos roofs to hundreds of garages on a new housing estate in the early 60s. In bad weather they would cut the asbestos sheets with a circular saw in a large garage which also doubled as the workforce tea room. Aged 63, he got diagnosed with asbestosis mesothelioma in 1999 was given six months to live.

I read somewhere that hundreds of schools are riddled with it:whatthe:

Correct Jim, In fact my job within the Cornwall Council (no longer county anymore as from 1st April 09) is to survey,locate asbestos in all the schools in Cornwall and put a management plan together.
I then have to monitor the condition and arrange repair or even removal in some cases of these products..........I also run the Radiation Monitoring too for schools as Cornwall is rife with it as it's granet based.

Boo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back