Are all wheels equal? (2 Viewers)

Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
Need to buy a spare wheel for Ducato motorhome (2021).

Is a wheel of the right size (and bolt pattern/etc) like any other wheel? What I mean is, there aren't "Motorhome" wheels (for, example, the extra weight), are there?

I need a 225x75xr16 5x130 wheel. I can get this identical looking one £228 (to my eyes at least) :

or this one for £160 with tyre (which I'd dump for my spare which is the same as the rest of my tyres) :

And there are steel wheels even cheaper (though I read somewhere on here that the bolts might not fit from the alloys, though I guess I could carry those spare too?)

I wish high street shops still sold wheels, so I could take it in and get their advice directly. Nowhere around here does, and if I buy the wrong wheel I canonly imagine the faff trying to send it back.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I wouldn't expect them to be there are quite a few variations on the Fiat wheels only way to know is find the part number on them.
It was the wheel of choice (before the new fiat wheels came out) on most chic C and E lines and Liners for two with most of them running 2500 rear axle (2 axle Alko)👍

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
The spare on our Kuga is steel. (Space saving)

The main wheels are alloy.

Ok for short distance and reduced speed, enough to get you to a puncture repair place or home if close by. Not sure why it would be different for a MH.
Are the space savers still rated for the same load as the std rim and any derating is based on tyres/ size descrepancy?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Should be the same load rating but limited to 80kph and 100 miles very soft rubber zothe grip is similar to standard tyre on the other end of the axle.
Thanks and interesting. the only time ive used one is on my 87 Audi 100 Avant (about 1999) it had 2 spares (1 std and one space saver in wing) the std was removed when using 7 seats. the space saver was very hard and said 80 PSI minimum. 30 miles at 40mph up M1 was terifying

Upvote 0
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
When I wanted lockable studs,the Fiat suggested I take a stud to them and that is exactly what I did

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The only place many alloy wheels are marked with load rating and part number is only visible with the tyre off. Some it is pressed on the back of the wheel centre. Loads and loads of alloys about that would fit but few are a high load rated type. The only place that you can often find the ratings are German manufacturers as they need to supply this with TUV registering parts.

Alloy wheels look nice, but as it is a softer metal, it gives some negative trade offs. Like being prone to leaks, lacquer peeling, corrosion, cracking and deforming. Steel wheels have few of these issues

The difference in wheel bolts between steel and alloy is only 6mm in length. So long as they don't catch anything at the back, like brake components, they are fine. You used to see 2 different profiles at the shoulder of the bolts for alloys/steels with tapered or domed profiles. These days they seem to be universal fit unless you are looking at a classic car and old style wheels

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Which are the longer? I assume I will have to get some different bolts, too.
The alloy wheels are thicker so longer bolts. As I mentioned only a few millimetres so as long as they don't touch the shoes inside the top hat brakes on the rear hubs should be fine. The fronts shouldn't touch anything

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2011
Funster No
Need to buy a spare wheel for Ducato motorhome (2021).

Is a wheel of the right size (and bolt pattern/etc) like any other wheel? What I mean is, there aren't "Motorhome" wheels (for, example, the extra weight), are there?

I need a 225x75xr16 5x130 wheel. I can get this identical looking one £228 (to my eyes at least) :

or this one for £160 with tyre (which I'd dump for my spare which is the same as the rest of my tyres) :

And there are steel wheels even cheaper (though I read somewhere on here that the bolts might not fit from the alloys, though I guess I could carry those spare too?)

I wish high street shops still sold wheels, so I could take it in and get their advice directly. Nowhere around here does, and if I buy the wrong wheel I canonly imagine the faff trying to send it back.
Hello, I am not sure if my comments will be of use to you, or any responses will be helpful for me! We have a Burstner Solano 725 (4 ton) 2009 from new on a Fiat Ducato chassis. We are preparing for a 6 week trip to France. For the first time we have found out that our tyres are outdated and have had to replace all 4 tyres for about £700. We do not have a spare tyre, and have never had one, which is apparently normal but carry an emergency tyre repair kit by Fix & Go. This too has expired. I gather it is law to carry this in Europe, but no motorhome dealers we have contacted appear to sell it in the UK. It is an Italian make and I have found their website, but you guessed it; they are out of stock. There are other manufacturers of these tyre repair kits, but none that will do a tyre with a diameter of 27 inches. My question to the forum, is where do they purchase replacement ones from? And to the author of this post, are you buying a spare wheel because you cannot get the tyre repair kit? If you manage to buy it, where will you store it; in the boot or outside on the body? Thanks in anticipation! I might post this as a separate post in a moment!

Upvote 0
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Hello, I am not sure if my comments will be of use to you, or any responses will be helpful for me! We have a Burstner Solano 725 (4 ton) 2009 from new on a Fiat Ducato chassis. We are preparing for a 6 week trip to France. For the first time we have found out that our tyres are outdated and have had to replace all 4 tyres for about £700. We do not have a spare tyre, and have never had one, which is apparently normal but carry an emergency tyre repair kit by Fix & Go. This too has expired. I gather it is law to carry this in Europe, but no motorhome dealers we have contacted appear to sell it in the UK. It is an Italian make and I have found their website, but you guessed it; they are out of stock. There are other manufacturers of these tyre repair kits, but none that will do a tyre with a diameter of 27 inches. My question to the forum, is where do they purchase replacement ones from? And to the author of this post, are you buying a spare wheel because you cannot get the tyre repair kit? If you manage to buy it, where will you store it; in the boot or outside on the body? Thanks in anticipation! I might post this as a separate post in a moment!
Would Halfords have a kit?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
daventess
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023

Sorry I missed your coment.

I got a spare wheel because I had a puncture in France on my first foreign trip (screw through the side wall) which could not be fixed. I had to be dragged on to the back of a truck and driven to a garage, whereby they insisted on changing both tyres on that axle (apparently they would have just changed the one had I presented just the wheel with the punctured tyre on it to them).

I store mine in the garage. Takes up some space and payload ,but I have a flat board over it so I can put things on top. Might look to "design" the garage at some point, probably right after I've learnt Portuguese...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
daventess
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
As well as PCD and wheel load rating, you also need the correct offset which doesn’t appear to have been mentioned.

I didn't take that into account when I bought my spare wheel, largely because I didn't know about it!

Local tyre garage put my spare tyre on it without question, so I assume (hope?) I must have got it right by accident.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back