1. MotorhomeFun The best Motorhome Club in the World

Register to remove adverts Register Here

Welcome to Motorhome Fun

MotorhomeFun is a large community of motorhome and touring enthusiasts. Our website is the busiest of its kind. It serves as a meeting place for thousands of members who share their knowledge of motorhomes and travel, as well as arrange rallies in the UK, Europe and beyond.

It's easy to join us and takes just a minute

Anyone had dealing with Freeborn Motorhomes Guildford

Discussion in 'MOTORHOME CHAT' started by lorger, Jan 3, 2013.

1. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi folks just wondering if any of you have had any dealings with Freeborn Motorhomes, good or bad all welcome.

I have been given a price to change my mh for a newer one and seems a good deal and they have so far answered all the questions I have asked and ones they didn't know have phoned me back with the answer, so so far quite happy to deal with them but being so far away I don't have a clue about them.
  2. ScotJimland

ScotJimland Funster

Morning Gerry

no matter how good the deal or the dealer.. things can and do go wrong requiring a trip back to them.. Personally I wouldn't buy from a dealer who was so far away..

good luck with your search :Smile:
  3. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi Jim
    I have to agree with you a bit but there aren't many dealers round my way and I have spoke to them about the warranty and what would happen with silly little things as well as larger things going wrong hoping there are no issues though. They have told me they or warranty company would meet cost if done at an approved dealer have also said they would talk to Dumfries caravan centre my local dealer and make sure they are happy to take any work on on their behalf before I buy the van.

Ideally I could find the van I want a lot closer but unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world.
  4. ScotJimland

ScotJimland Funster

Yes, I appreciate your point about the lack of dealers in your locale Gerry, but there are quite a few in the central belt.. a lot closer than Guildford..

As for third party warranty companies...and dealers promises, well, in my experience not worth the paper written on.. nothing beats a local dealer with your best interests at heart .. I'm afraid it's 'out of sight, out of mind' for many..

Have you spoken to Dumfries caravan centre about sourcing a vehicle for you or considered buying private.. ?
  5. canopus

canopus Funster

We have an immaculate December 2009 low mileage Rapido 909 Mercedes A Class with full service history and hab cert for sale Gerry should you be interested :Smile:

Ken & Lynda
    1 person likes this.
  6. lorger

lorger Funster

Had thought about buying and selling privately Jim. And might still do it hasn't thought of going to DCC and asking them to source one though, have bought from him in the past when we where caravaners and would be quite happy to buy from him again although I do find his prices to be a bit high. Might pop in this afternoon when passing.
  7. JOHNSTEY

JOHNSTEY Funster

Had the same problem ourselves and made the mistake of making buying local (Perthshire Caravans) the first time.Ended up with the wrong van and paying too much for it.If you are anywhere in Scotland the choice is limited.We ended up buying our next van from Lowdhams, Nottingham which is one of the few dealers dealing with Knaus Vans.We have had no problems and I think it's best to get the van you want rather than just get whats available locally.:thumb:
    2 people like this.
  8. lorger

lorger Funster

Yes John I agree if I could get the van locally for roughly the same price then I'd go of it, dealers seem to know they don't have great competition up here so don't offer as much in discounts and don't want it costing me more by having to change the van again in a year or two. What ever van we get this time it will have to do for at least 5 years and hopefully loads more, the van we have just now has lasted us 5 years and just out grown it now or wouldn't be changing it.
    1 person likes this.
  9. lorger

lorger Funster

Ken I have seen your van and would love it but I don't think you will do it for 20k plus our van :Rofl1: I'd have to sell my body to afford yours and not sure Lorraine would be happy with all the young ladies that would be bidding so for that reason will have to give it a miss. Well until you drop your price:Rofl1:
    1 person likes this.
  10. JOHNSTEY

JOHNSTEY Funster

Our thinking exactly Gerry.We bought the first van with ease but what good is that if you soon find out it's not right for you.It took a lot of research to get it right and we took that time on the basis that we won't change for 5 years.:thumb:
    4 people like this.
  11. lorger

lorger Funster

well so far very happy the way the dealer has been dealing with my inquiry, he is even bringing the vechile up from Guildford to Dumfries for me to view it.

This saves me a few pound and a long drive to view it, even though the van is just about 2 years old i have asked if he minds if i have a caravan/motorhome engineer look over it for me while its up in Dumfries and he has no problem with this.

So far every thing i have asked of him he has come up trumps so if everything is as expected we could have a new van shortly.
    1 person likes this.
  12. Chris

Chris Funster - Life Member

I am surprised you didn't offer to go for a jog and meet him half way:BigGrin:

Hope the van works out but don't forget to think what it would be like to spend a rainy day in it if you are still going for the fixed bed.
    1 person likes this.
  13. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I'm just down the bottom of the A3 Gerry if that is any help. You can stop over down here or I can pop up to Guildford, whatever.

Best of luck mate, pm me if I'm needed, Griff :thumb:
  14. scousebird

scousebird Funster

We bought a new MH from Freeborn and had excellent service, they answered all our queries before collection and we had the best handover we ever had in many years of caravanning. They even managed to get our van 3 months earlier than the original order date. :BigGrin:
    1 person likes this.
  15. Jim

Jim Ringleader Staff Member

1 person likes this.
  16. Southampton

Southampton Funster

I bought our new Autotrail Commanche from Freeborn in November and they have given us excellent service so far. They have been very responsive with any queries and sorted some minor niggles immediately. I have no hesitation in recommending them as a reputable dealer. Jim, I will put a review of them on the dealer page as suggested.
    1 person likes this.
  17. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi Griff thanks for the kind offer, another funster kindly popped round and had a look at the van for me I think it may have been while you where enjoying the sunshine:Rofl1: I may keep you offer in mind though if the deal goes ahead and we come down to collect it. They have said they would like us to stay locally for a night or two so if we have any issues they can get them sorted. As I mentioned so far they are saying and doing all the right things.
    Thanks Gerry
  18. lorger

lorger Funster

I had thought about it but thought it was a bit silly when I could cycle down in half the time :Rofl1::Rofl1:
    1 person likes this.
  19. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster

Desperate or wot !

That's costing him a load of cash so you didn't haggle hard enough :Wink:
    1 person likes this.
  20. lorger

lorger Funster

Brian that was the first thing I thought but nothing agreed yet, but the price he has offered me to change is far better than I expected, as for the haggling I have actually got quite a bit off from his first offer so not doing to bad I'm sure he is still making a few pound on it.

Have tried several dealers with similar or same van and they can't touch him on price.