Any recommendations for easy to learn 3D cad software (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Preferably not online and preferably on Linux.

I have not done any 3D stuff since the early 90s and the only cad I ever did was a a bit of work in Autocad also in the early 90s (DOS version).

So I am really starting from scratch.

It is only to design really basic things, not full houses or complex shapes. So easy to use, easy to learn is more important than feature set.

I Don't want to spend weeks learning how to use it :(

So, any recommendations please?

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Preferably not online and preferably on Linux.

I have not done any 3D stuff since the early 90s and the only cad I ever did was a a bit of work in Autocad also in the early 90s (DOS version).

So I am really starting from scratch.

It is only to design really basic things, not full houses or complex shapes. So easy to use, easy to learn is more important than feature set.

I Don't want to spend weeks learning how to use it :(

So, any recommendations please?

I use Solidworks and followed the tutorials of this great guy.......

You can be drawing well within a day or so....... for the software I downloaded the 2017 edition ( about 4 years ago!) and looked on line for a fix.......still ( touch wood) going well !

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Fusion 360 is one of the best known and fairly easy to get into. My SIL teaches it at school and there are loads of YouTube videos on it including his.
£510 a year. Closer but out of budget for my use case I am afraid.

I should have been clear in my original post. I am look for free software ideally, or if commercial then very budget friendly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Fusion 360 is free for domestic use Gromett

It's free for personal use.

This is for business use :( If I get caught using it either of them for business It will not be cheap. Then I will have to learn a free version and start from scratch.

I really do appreciate the recommendations though. But I was really looking for the free/opensource versions.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Tinkercad is the one i use, its really simple, mainly drag and drop and set the sizes. you need to use a mouse though to get the best out of it,

also check thingiverse, in case what youre looking to has already been 'designed'? when you come to 'slice' (prepare for printing) you can alter the heat of the nozzle and bed, thats quite important, if the design fails to print, its usually one of those settings in my experience.

just make sure your bed is reasonably level and set correctly, its actually a lot easier than it sounds !

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Tinkercad is the one i use, its really simple, mainly drag and drop and set the sizes. you need to use a mouse though to get the best out of it,

also check thingiverse, in case what youre looking to has already been 'designed'? when you come to 'slice' (prepare for printing) you can alter the heat of the nozzle and bed, thats quite important, if the design fails to print, its usually one of those settings in my experience.

just make sure your bed is reasonably level and set correctly, its actually a lot easier than it sounds !
Thanks. It's not for 3D printing. It is for designing projects made with sheet materials. Plastic initially but also wood and later on Metal etc.

I need to be able to visualise the product in 3D then generate a cut sheet for a 2D flat bed CNC router.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Blender is open source and free.
I will look. But I thought that was more for animation and video production to see what stuff looks like etc. Rather than producing engineering drawings and generating G Code?

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
FreeCad. Not too hard to learn. I use it to make simple bits on my 3D printer.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
FreeCad. Not too hard to learn. I use it to make simple bits on my 3D printer.
That was the one I was looking at but seems quite complicated. But if that is what it takes then I will have to knuckle down.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Have you looked at SketchUp .. ?

Broken Link Removed
Will take a look but I tend not to use online software as it can be pulled without warning and doesn't work if the internet is down.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
There is a free version of SketchUp on Windows ( dont know about Linux) If you find it OK to use then you can upgrade to Commercial for £295.

Loads of tutorials on YouTube.

Sorry for the repeat,scotjimland beat me to it!!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I will look. But I thought that was more for animation and video production to see what stuff looks like etc. Rather than producing engineering drawings and generating G Code?
Never used it grom, just heard of it that's all.
Fusion is what I use.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
3d slash uses block based system (beginners) and is linux friendly
OpenSCAD does have a beginners version too

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
If you need sheet metal folding then i suspect the cheap/ free versions may not have that capability. Also a pain to do and get it right initialy. May be simpler to do a 3d model and say make this rather than hand over a drawing of a flat sheet and bend requirements. I used creo4 (was pro engineer) well out of your price and also high end workstation required. Was over £3 k a seat but can do anything my company everneeded (including thermal analysis). The animation feature is usefull if you are making moving parts or clamping you can see interference problems. If looking to make injection moulded parts look for " draw angle" capability. This is more a decide what you need want to do and see what fits advice rather than use creo. itl do the job, is beautiful but what a price. Are you a student? Special rates.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you need sheet metal folding then i suspect the cheap/ free versions may not have that capability. Also a pain to do and get it right initialy. May be simpler to do a 3d model and say make this rather than hand over a drawing of a flat sheet and bend requirements. I used creo4 (was pro engineer) well out of your price and also high end workstation required. Was over £3 k a seat but can do anything my company everneeded (including thermal analysis). The animation feature is usefull if you are making moving parts or clamping you can see interference problems. If looking to make injection moulded parts look for " draw angle" capability. This is more a decide what you need want to do and see what fits advice rather than use creo. itl do the job, is beautiful but what a price. Are you a student? Special rates.

For the sheet metal I would be to make the template based on the outer face. But that is a long way down the road. Plastic and wood is the first priority.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back