Lbj

Sep 16, 2018
Gatehouse of Fleet, Castle Douglas, UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Few years
I’ve written previously about a VW T5 Campervan that I put a deposit on then was told that it broke down between the garage and dealership after having the cam belt replaced. I was told by the salesman that the cambelt pulley had failed and advice from this forum was that this could have caused damage to various components in the engine so it did not look sensible to go ahead with the purchase.

I’ve now finally managed to speak to the garage to get more details. The battery warning light came on and engine stopped apparently about a mile into the three mile journey. No knocking from the engine.They put it on a loader and took it back to the garage where they found that a pulley had worn (apparently only evident when they inspected the underside of the pulley) and this affected the fuel timing putting it out between 5 and 8 degrees and stopping the engine. They say they replaced the timing pulley and cog.

I just wanted to double check people’s thoughts on possible damage caused by the worn belt before the engine stopped? The dealer has now offered me a two year RAC warranty and a years breakdown cover and they and the garage say it is working fine with no damage caused but I would like to know what opinion the members of the forum might have and if the general consensus is still to walk away!

They had replaced the cam belt using the full cam belt kit.

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate people taking the time to comment on this

OP
OP
Lbj

Lbj

Sep 16, 2018
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Few years
2year RAC warranty not a lot of use probably only 10 mile limit to a garage for recovery any extra £100 for additional 5 miles well that was the package I had found out after breakdown in a car which had the warranty
That sounds a lot of money I hope you weren’t too far away, you must have been fuming to find this out.

Another thing I read in the RAC terms was a limit on how much they will pay for hourly mechanic fees, £51 or so I think it was - the VW garage I talked to say they charge £115 an hour so immediately out of pocket if I took the van to that garage.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
That is a good point about the new cambelt helping a future sale, that hadn’t occurred to me

They said they were out of pocket £700 for changing the cambelt but not sure if he included the repair after it broke down in this figure
Out of interest you could ring a couple of local garages for quotes for the cambelt change give you a bit more ammunition

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
That sounds a lot of money I hope you weren’t too far away, you must have been fuming to find this out.

Another thing I read in the RAC terms was a limit on how much they will pay for hourly mechanic fees, £51 or so I think it was - the VW garage I talked to say they charge £115 an hour so immediately out of pocket if I took the van to that garage.
It cost £100 to take it back to where I bought it

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
That is a good point about the new cambelt helping a future sale, that hadn’t occurred to me

They said they were out of pocket £700 for changing the cambelt but not sure if he included the repair after it broke down in this figure
They would have to do that no matter who bought or are they saying they'd sell it with a dodgy belt 🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
A further point comes to mind....Either they were totally incompetent creating the fault that caused the ultimate failure it was therefore their fault.OR they would have sold you a van with a fault that caused the pump timing to slip and would have caused you a great deal of hassle and had you been travelling at a higher speed destroyed the engine

Reactions: Lbj
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lbj

Lbj

Sep 16, 2018
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Few years
They would have to do that no matter who bought or are they saying they'd sell it with a dodgy belt 🤔
Hi Nanniemate and thanks for your previous post as well
After agreeing to change the cambelt as part of the sale they then refused to do it as they found out that VW now have no time limit and only after 140,000 so they said it wasn’t necessary but I insisted which is why they say they are ‘out of pocket’

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lbj

Lbj

Sep 16, 2018
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Few years
A further point comes to mind....Either they were totally incompetent creating the fault that caused the ultimate failure it was therefore their fault.OR they would have sold you a van with a fault that caused the pump timing to slip and would have caused you a great deal of hassle and had you been travelling at a higher speed destroyed the engine
That’s a sobering thought. The garage insisted that the fault was not caused by them, rather that it was a common problem well known to VW and in several of their bulletins (not that I’ve managed to find it) and was a worn belt on the underside not detectable from the top. Which just happened to occur after the cambelt was changed 🤔

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Think maybe you missed my point...if the fault which caused the new belt to jump was not of their making and you had not asked for a belt change then that fault was already there and would have made the old original belt to jump anyway, meaning they would have had to change the belt anyway and had the new owner been travelling at any speed at the time of failure very likely serious engine damage would have occured.No ifs no buts they don't have a legal leg to stand on

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
That’s a sobering thought. The garage insisted that the fault was not caused by them, rather that it was a common problem well known to VW and in several of their bulletins (not that I’ve managed to find it) and was a worn belt on the underside not detectable from the top. Which just happened to occur after the cambelt was changed 🤔
Suspect that makes their hole even deeper.. common fault,well known, Why did you not check it whilst doing the cam belt.Regardless if they had not done the cambelt it would have happened anyway ( Resulting in either major engine damage or at least a new cambelt( can't see vw agreeing to refit the old belt and bearings).So you can still argue that by insisting on a new belt you gave them the opportunity to avoid any engine damage...had they been more thorough.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
Run ,, its not well known unless your a mechanic , but VW used cheap bearing and belt rollers of a substandard design in order to save money in manufacturing , but its not been a great idea ,they are often replaced with better after market alternatives ,

Reactions: Lbj
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 966M
Exp
since 2010
Hi Nanniemate and thanks for your previous post as well
After agreeing to change the cambelt as part of the sale they then refused to do it as they found out that VW now have no time limit and only after 140,000 so they said it wasn’t necessary but I insisted which is why they say they are ‘out of pocket’
they agreed to change the belt as part of a deal to sell you the vehicle, it is their on back that the vehicle would be acceptable to you at the point of sale, they took the job on and its backfired on them, i wouldn't pay a penny towards a job that has been done totally wrong, walk away and request a deposit refund, if they refuse take action through the small claims court. (that's my feelings)

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
This is an interference engine if the fuel pump was that far out it will probably kissed the valves so they may not full seat whist it might run alright it may cause failure later on.
I haven't read the full thread, so forgive if I'm wrong but...

How would just the fuel pump timing, 'kiss' the valves?
It would just deliver fuel at the wrong time surely? 🤔

Upvote 0

Holly's mum

Funster
Jan 29, 2017
nr Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Lbj It sounds as though you have already made the decision to walk away. A good decision in my view, if it doesn't feel right then walk away.

You can be sure that the dealer will not be out of pocket, as they will simply add the cost of the cambelt change to the price of the van and as already mentioned, will have that as a selling point. They are trying to bluff you into keeping your deposit, they can not do this and you have already had some good advice on how to get your deposit back.

What the dealer is probably more upset about is the mark up they are losing by not getting your Sunlight motorhome as a PX :smiley:

Good luck and I hope you get your deposit back soon.

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
About 5 to 600 on the cambelt change, think mine was £460 but discounted slightly on the VW Service Plan.

Edit: including water pump.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back