Another milestone - 3 nights without EHU! (3 Viewers)

Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
Wanted to test my new solar/lithium install in the UK before leaving for Europe.
Stayed in two pubs for one night each, then a C&MC site just to empty everything out and use a proper loo ...

We used the microwave, air fryer and toaster every day, and we left for home this morning with 51% in the battery! We were rather lucky with the weather for the last few days, but even so I was well impressed with that!

Next milestones are - empty my waste water, legally and ethically, at somewhere other than a site we are staying at, and to stop thinking of the van loo as not a proper loo...

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Oh yes you can. its why i'm retiring at 55. I've been lucky enough to buy myself a few extra years of freedom :giggle:

On the topic, lithium wasn't needed until I bought that fancy coffee machine that I loved so much at home I wanted to take with me in the van when we go on hols.

scotjimland

I also retired at 55 , that was 20 happy years ago. šŸ˜Š

Missed out on retiring @ 55, been planning it since YTS scheme @ 16, Covid made it was pointless, got out @ 56 though...
Bought 1st MoHo, mid 2022 and a year or so later shipped it to USA for 12 month road trip.
Now back and planning Nordic/Artic Circle jount only 90 days this time.
Just 110ah Lead Acid & 100w solar, may try to increase solar before we go and 300w 12v socket inverter for laptops and phones.
A coffee percolator makes great coffee.

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
A coffee percolator makes great coffee.
[Random opinion follows] :)

A coffee percolator can make OK coffee, even sometimes decent coffee. But once you start down the road of grinding your own beans and using a proper coffee machine that can push water through them at much higher pressure (around 9 Bar) rather than the 1.5 bar or a percolator/moka pot - you kind of get hooked on the taste . . . .

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Next milestones are - empty my waste water, legally and ethically, at somewhere other than a site we are staying at, and to stop thinking of the van loo as not a proper loo...
Sorry if I missed the update but how did the "empty my waste water, legally and ethically, at somewhere other than a site we are staying at" go,
presuming you were referring to BLACK waste.
You can have all the Gigawatts in the world but then the 18l black tank is full you have to go back on grid.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
daventess
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
Sorry if I missed the update but how did the "empty my waste water, legally and ethically, at somewhere other than a site we are staying at" go,
presuming you were referring to BLACK waste.
You can have all the Gigawatts in the world but then the 18l black tank is full you have to go back on grid.

It hasn't yet. We're going away tomrrow for a month through Europe, so I have a feeling that might be a much easier milestone to achieve there.

I was actually referring to both grey & black. Our actual goal, at least initially, is to try and spend 2 nights off and one night on campsites. If we achieve that then my inexperience-led range anxiety may never materialise as that should sort us out.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
6 grand levelling systems - waste of money, something else to go wrong, etc.
microwaves & airfryers - absolutely essential, should be compulsory like yellow jackets in France.

:reel:

I use microwave a lot at home but am quite happy without it in the van. Air Fryer - have toyed with getting one for home but not used one yet. Miight be useful in the van as the gas oven is next to useless. However, not sure my batteries are up to running an air fryer.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
It hasn't yet. We're going away tomrrow for a month through Europe, so I have a feeling that might be a much easier milestone to achieve there.

I was actually referring to both grey & black. Our actual goal, at least initially, is to try and spend 2 nights off and one night on campsites. If we achieve that then my inexperience-led range anxiety may never materialise as that should sort us out.
With only 40 nights with HU of 356, very much off grid for nearly a year with only 110ah Lead Acid & 100w solar,
the toilet cassette was our only limitation.
It seems others create their own issues/anxiety by their "need" to take 240v appliances with them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back