Amazon fire stick - do I need a vpn (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I did not need a VPN when I was using a UK data SIM with my Firestick.

When I used a Spanish SIM then I needed a VPN to enable me to watch UK channels on the Firestick.
What vpn please new to this, have unlimited data on a Spanish sim presently in Spain would be good to catch up and watch stuff

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
You can use a firestick without a VPN.
Without a VPN it will offer content that is only for that country you are in.
For example, content made by Netflix is usually available all around the world. But third party content on netflix will vary from country to country depending on rights agreements.

But if you want to watch the likes of iPlayer etc, that are for UK use only, then that is when you will need a VPN, to hide the fact you are trying to watch UK only content from outside the UK.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
For example, content made by Netflix is usually available all around the world. But third party content on netflix will vary from country to country depending on rights agreements.

But if you want to watch the likes of iPlayer etc, that are for UK use only, then that is when you will need a VPN, to hide the fact you are trying to watch UK only content from outside the UK.
Just for clarity, that is unless OP is watching off a UK sim card, so might need to check your roaming allowance sueandjohn

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I am thinking of buying an Amazon fire stick - do I need a vpn to use it in France or Spain please
Not if you’re using a U.K. sim such as Popit mobile which offer 100gb a month which can all be used in the EU for £25 a month on a rolling contract which can be cancelled at any time

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Not sure if you recall. You fitted a terrestrial aerial for me in Spain.

We are using telitec fibre now. Just wondering if you know how to use a VPN with their router ?

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Not sure if you recall. You fitted a terrestrial aerial for me in Spain.

We are using telitec fibre now. Just wondering if you know how to use a VPN with their router ?
I always advise to install a vpn onto a seperate router, connected to your main router.
That way you dont mess up your main router (potentially losing your main internet connection should things go wrong!) , and you then have the choice of original provider router and vpn router signals to use.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I always advise to install a vpn onto a seperate router, connected to your main router.
That way you dont mess up your main router (potentially losing your main internet connection should things go wrong!) , and you then have the choice of original provider router and vpn router signals to use.
Thank you

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Does this also apply to a Roku stick ?

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Does this also apply to a Roku stick ?
It’s the content provider you’re trying to fool. Not the device you’re watching their media on.
So I’d expect a Roku device to need VPN routing yy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back