1. MotorhomeFun The best Motorhome Club in the World

Register to remove adverts Register Here

Welcome to Motorhome Fun

MotorhomeFun is a large community of motorhome and touring enthusiasts. Our website is the busiest of its kind. It serves as a meeting place for thousands of members who share their knowledge of motorhomes and travel, as well as arrange rallies in the UK, Europe and beyond.

It's easy to join us and takes just a minute

Air Rifle laws in Europe

Discussion in 'CONTINENTAL TOURING' started by Wildman, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Wildman

Wildman Funster

Can anyone clarify the laws regarding air rifles in France, Belgium, Germany, Spain, and Portugal. I would love to take my air rifle touring next year will it be legal, any special licences needed. Anybody know the score please.
  2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster

hi roger,

found this on another forum.
    relates to france but may cover other EU countries.

Assuming your rifle is 12fpe, it is overpowered for French law and therefore needs an EU permit. You can't get this from the UK Police because it's not FAC. It is therefore liable to seizure by French customs as an illegal import.

If you bring your 12fpe air rifle to France and shoot anything living, and get caught, you will be treated rather badly as it's illegal to hunt with air weapons.
  3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I thought you shoot things DEAD:Doh::RollEyes:
  4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster

Now that, Geo, depends on how powerful yer gun is.:BigGrin:

the only thing my pistol will shoot dead was already dead.:Doh::Rofl1:
  5. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Dunno but after our 3 month tour this summer it was only as we were heading back to Calais that I noticed I had my Russian Skiff air pistol on board in its box by the hot water tank. Took it through 6 countries, probably legal but it looks lethal and may have caused a stir if discovered.
  6. Jim

Jim Ringleader Staff Member

Laws are one thing, but the interpretation of those laws by the copper on the ground is where we can get into trouble. I would not want to take an airgun touring Europe, I would feel that it was an ugly incident waiting to happen. Me n James have taken a catapult with us, given good ammo we don't miss anything at <than 25m:BigGrin:
  7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster

find them here roger....

AIRGUN LAWS

looks like you would need a german firearms licence for yours.

Germany

In Germany, air guns producing a muzzle energy up to 7.5 joule (J) (5.53 ft·lbf) can be owned by persons from the age of 18 years and freely acquired, provided they comply with the "F-in-pentagon-mark" that indicates projectiles fired do not exceed 7.5 J kinetic energy. For carrying air guns in public places an arms permit is necessary. The transportation of unloaded and cased air guns to a shooting range is permitted as is shooting air guns on private land.
    When shooting with air guns it must be assured the projectiles can not leave the shooting area (WaffG, Section 12 (exemption of permit requirements), subsection (4), 1a. The minimum age for air gun shooting in Germany is 18 years, before 19 June 2009 it minimum age was 12, or even 10 years if an exceptional provision was granted by the appropriate German authorities. The change was made because of the Winnenden school shooting.
    For the acquisition of weapons exceeding 7.5 J, so-called long range air guns, according to German law a purchase authorization is needed. Such an authorization can only be issued with a valid reason to acquire such a gun, and if the owner has mastered adequate handling skills as audited by the appropriate German authorities.
    A purchase authorization is not required for air guns, manufactured and introduced onto the market before 1 January 1970 in Germany or before 2 April 1991 on the territory of the former East Germany (WaffG, Appendix 2, Section 1, Subsection 2, 1.2); they can, regardless of their muzzle energy and/or the presence of an "F-in-pentagon-mark", be freely acquired and possessed.
    The storage requirements for firearms also applies to air guns.
  8. kenspain

kenspain Read Only Funster

As long as it,s not on show I think you have to have a licences here in Spain but if your on your own land you can shot what you want but no hunting on land that you dont own and you can only hunt October till February here only on a Thursday Saturday and Sunday. Best of luck if your looking to shoot your dinner. bring a tin of beans as this lot shoot any thing that moves so not much let,:Rofl1::Rofl1:
  9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster

That struck us on our first trip to Greece - no birds.
  10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster

should have gone to specsavers Brian.....:Rofl1:

[​IMG]
  11. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Its sad that in many countries song birds are shot for sport and sometimes food. In Cyprus wherever we drove in the mountains we saw 12g cartridge cases laying around. There are no pheasants etc. they just shoot small birds :Sad:
  12. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster

Now they do look worth hunting.

Good advert that. Better than half the programs for sure.
  13. dazzer

dazzer

This may seem like a silly question but why would anyone want to take a gun of any description anywhere outside the UK??

Its just asking for trouble, leave it at home.
  14. kenspain

So you can shoot the police before they can make you pay the fine on the spot for having the gun with you.:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
  15. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

The birds on the beach look the best, but I would probably be called a dirty old man if I took a sly glance to the side :Wink::Wink:
  16. dazzer

dazzer

No i think you would be called normal..........:Wink:

Lets be honest they were very pretty girls :Blush:
  17. stagman

stagman

I have seen on the side of the roads in Spain small signs with crosses and triangles on . I thought these were for indicating the shooting boundaries , which as long as you had a licence you could shoot on with a calibre no bigger than .410 . In France you will see signs Le Chasse it stands for something like The Hunting Club , and you cannot shoot on that land unless you are a member .To be a member you must pass a very strict test which includes species indentification in photo form and sillouete ,also the test is in French . Also in France you cannot shoot on your own land unless you are a member of the Chasse.On the land above Millau there are absolutely hordes of rabbits , it would be an air gunners paradise .:thumb:
  18. kenspain

Most of the land belongs to shooting clubs here in Spain and they dont take it lightly if they catch you shooting on there land.
  19. ScotJimland

ScotJimland Funster

Ban in Scotland ?

Slightly off topic ..

but here we go again, a sledgehammer to crack a nut .. :Sad:

Airguns could be banned in Scotland if law is devolved

Published Date: 23 November 2009
    By Victoria Mitchell

POWERS to ban airguns are expected to be handed over from Westminster to MSPs, it emerged yesterday.
    Firearms legislation is currently reserved to Westminster.

But the Scottish Government has argued that Scotland has a distinct problem with air weapons.

It was one of the recommendations of the Calman Commission review of devolution.

Scottish Secretary Jim Murphy is preparing to deliver his response to the Calman report, which made a series of recommendations on which powers should be devolved to Scot-land.

A Scotland Office spokesman said that the UK government would be setting out its re-sponse to Calman "very shortly" and that "air weapons will be dealt with as part of that".

The move has also been called for by the parents of two-year-old Andrew Morton, who died in 2005 after he was hit in the head by an airgun pellet in Easterhouse, Glasgow.

His parents, Sharon McMillan and Andy Morton, have campaigned tirelessly for a change in the law.
  20. stagman

stagman

The move has also been called for by the parents of two-year-old Andrew Morton, who died in 2005 after he was hit in the head by an airgun pellet in Easterhouse, Glasgow.

His parents, Sharon McMillan and Andy Morton, have campaigned tirelessly for a change in the law.[/QUOTE]

I sympathise with the parents , and I don't know the full story . But you can't legislate against accidents . It is sad that a country with such a vast history of shooting sports should go down this road just hope it doesn't cross the border .