Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Can anyone clarify the laws regarding air rifles in France, Belgium, Germany, Spain, and Portugal. I would love to take my air rifle touring next year will it be legal, any special licences needed. Anybody know the score please.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi roger,

found this on another forum.
relates to france but may cover other EU countries.

Assuming your rifle is 12fpe, it is overpowered for French law and therefore needs an EU permit. You can't get this from the UK Police because it's not FAC. It is therefore liable to seizure by French customs as an illegal import.

If you bring your 12fpe air rifle to France and shoot anything living, and get caught, you will be treated rather badly as it's illegal to hunt with air weapons.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
hi roger,

found this on another forum.
relates to france but may cover other EU countries.

Assuming your rifle is 12fpe, it is overpowered for French law and therefore needs an EU permit. You can't get this from the UK Police because it's not FAC. It is therefore liable to seizure by French customs as an illegal import.

If you bring your 12fpe air rifle to France and shoot anything living, and get caught, you will be treated rather badly as it's illegal to hunt with air weapons.
I thought you shoot things DEAD:Doh::RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Dunno but after our 3 month tour this summer it was only as we were heading back to Calais that I noticed I had my Russian Skiff air pistol on board in its box by the hot water tank. Took it through 6 countries, probably legal but it looks lethal and may have caused a stir if discovered.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Laws are one thing, but the interpretation of those laws by the copper on the ground is where we can get into trouble. I would not want to take an airgun touring Europe, I would feel that it was an ugly incident waiting to happen. Me n James have taken a catapult with us, given good ammo we don't miss anything at <than 25m::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
find them here roger....

AIRGUN LAWS

looks like you would need a german firearms licence for yours.

Germany

In Germany, air guns producing a muzzle energy up to 7.5 joule (J) (5.53 ft·lbf) can be owned by persons from the age of 18 years and freely acquired, provided they comply with the "F-in-pentagon-mark" that indicates projectiles fired do not exceed 7.5 J kinetic energy. For carrying air guns in public places an arms permit is necessary. The transportation of unloaded and cased air guns to a shooting range is permitted as is shooting air guns on private land.
When shooting with air guns it must be assured the projectiles can not leave the shooting area (WaffG, Section 12 (exemption of permit requirements), subsection (4), 1a. The minimum age for air gun shooting in Germany is 18 years, before 19 June 2009 it minimum age was 12, or even 10 years if an exceptional provision was granted by the appropriate German authorities. The change was made because of the Winnenden school shooting.
For the acquisition of weapons exceeding 7.5 J, so-called long range air guns, according to German law a purchase authorization is needed. Such an authorization can only be issued with a valid reason to acquire such a gun, and if the owner has mastered adequate handling skills as audited by the appropriate German authorities.
A purchase authorization is not required for air guns, manufactured and introduced onto the market before 1 January 1970 in Germany or before 2 April 1991 on the territory of the former East Germany (WaffG, Appendix 2, Section 1, Subsection 2, 1.2); they can, regardless of their muzzle energy and/or the presence of an "F-in-pentagon-mark", be freely acquired and possessed.
The storage requirements for firearms also applies to air guns.

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
As long as it,s not on show I think you have to have a licences here in Spain but if your on your own land you can shot what you want but no hunting on land that you dont own and you can only hunt October till February here only on a Thursday Saturday and Sunday. Best of luck if your looking to shoot your dinner. bring a tin of beans as this lot shoot any thing that moves so not much let,:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That struck us on our first trip to Greece - no birds.

should have gone to specsavers Brian.....:ROFLMAO:

33660_f520.jpg

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Its sad that in many countries song birds are shot for sport and sometimes food. In Cyprus wherever we drove in the mountains we saw 12g cartridge cases laying around. There are no pheasants etc. they just shoot small birds :Sad:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
This may seem like a silly question but why would anyone want to take a gun of any description anywhere outside the UK??

Its just asking for trouble, leave it at home.

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
This may seem like a silly question but why would anyone want to take a gun of any description anywhere outside the UK??

Its just asking for trouble, leave it at home.

So you can shoot the police before they can make you pay the fine on the spot for having the gun with you.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The birds on the beach look the best, but I would probably be called a dirty old man if I took a sly glance to the side :winky::winky:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
The birds on the beach look the best, but I would probably be called a dirty old man if I took a sly glance to the side :winky::winky:

No i think you would be called normal..........:winky:

Lets be honest they were very pretty girls :Blush:

S

stagman

Deleted User
As long as it,s not on show I think you have to have a licences here in Spain but if your on your own land you can shot what you want but no hunting on land that you dont own and you can only hunt October till February here only on a Thursday Saturday and Sunday. Best of luck if your looking to shoot your dinner. bring a tin of beans as this lot shoot any thing that moves so not much let,:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have seen on the side of the roads in Spain small signs with crosses and triangles on . I thought these were for indicating the shooting boundaries , which as long as you had a licence you could shoot on with a calibre no bigger than .410 . In France you will see signs Le Chasse it stands for something like The Hunting Club , and you cannot shoot on that land unless you are a member .To be a member you must pass a very strict test which includes species indentification in photo form and sillouete ,also the test is in French . Also in France you cannot shoot on your own land unless you are a member of the Chasse.On the land above Millau there are absolutely hordes of rabbits , it would be an air gunners paradise .:thumb:

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
I have seen on the side of the roads in Spain small signs with crosses and triangles on . I thought these were for indicating the shooting boundaries , which as long as you had a licence you could shoot on with a calibre no bigger than .410 . In France you will see signs Le Chasse it stands for something like The Hunting Club , and you cannot shoot on that land unless you are a member .To be a member you must pass a very strict test which includes species indentification in photo form and sillouete ,also the test is in French . Also in France you cannot shoot on your own land unless you are a member of the Chasse.On the land above Millau there are absolutely hordes of rabbits , it would be an air gunners paradise .:thumb:

Most of the land belongs to shooting clubs here in Spain and they dont take it lightly if they catch you shooting on there land.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Ban in Scotland ?

Slightly off topic ..

but here we go again, a sledgehammer to crack a nut .. :Sad:

Airguns could be banned in Scotland if law is devolved

Published Date: 23 November 2009
By Victoria Mitchell

POWERS to ban airguns are expected to be handed over from Westminster to MSPs, it emerged yesterday.
Firearms legislation is currently reserved to Westminster.

But the Scottish Government has argued that Scotland has a distinct problem with air weapons.

It was one of the recommendations of the Calman Commission review of devolution.

Scottish Secretary Jim Murphy is preparing to deliver his response to the Calman report, which made a series of recommendations on which powers should be devolved to Scot-land.

A Scotland Office spokesman said that the UK government would be setting out its re-sponse to Calman "very shortly" and that "air weapons will be dealt with as part of that".

The move has also been called for by the parents of two-year-old Andrew Morton, who died in 2005 after he was hit in the head by an airgun pellet in Easterhouse, Glasgow.

His parents, Sharon McMillan and Andy Morton, have campaigned tirelessly for a change in the law.

S

stagman

Deleted User
The move has also been called for by the parents of two-year-old Andrew Morton, who died in 2005 after he was hit in the head by an airgun pellet in Easterhouse, Glasgow.

His parents, Sharon McMillan and Andy Morton, have campaigned tirelessly for a change in the law.[/QUOTE]

I sympathise with the parents , and I don't know the full story . But you can't legislate against accidents . It is sad that a country with such a vast history of shooting sports should go down this road just hope it doesn't cross the border .

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Dont ban them but licence them perhaps, even a simple registration would be better than nothing.

In Teesdale where I live there are loads of guns and I mean proper guns not air guns . Come around here on a bright Sunday morning and its like world war three has taken off. Im sure there are farmers here that just spend all day walking around killing stuff but I cant remember the last time anyone was shot. Guns in the wrong hands is what the problem is. Kids in Glasgow shouldnt be shooting air weapons in the city, get out in the country with it and learn to use it responsibly but if the scottish goverment ban them outright then why not stop there, ban cars, absieling, bicycles, horses etc etc they all kill people! Has Scotland gone a bit nanny state or something?

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
No doubt this is going to stir up a whole load of opinions but why do people need guns of any discription at home?

If shooting is your thing surely the most sensible place for it is at a shooting range or on an organised days shooting/hunting? :Angry:

If this were the case guns should by law be kept at the shooting range/shoot organisers where they are stored in a very safe place. :thumb:

Im sure more people are injured in "accidents" involving any kind of gun than are actually injured in intentional shooting in the UK (although i may be wrong :Doh:).

Personally i dont understand why people need any kind of a gun either a firearm or air gun in everyday use. There is a time and a place for shooting and the guns should only be available for use at that time and place. The rest of the time they should be locked in a vault well away from any potential accidents and a lot more people would be alive or unharmed as a result. :thumb:

Last edited:
S

stagman

Deleted User
If this were the case guns should by law be kept at the shooting range/shoot organisers where they are stored in a very safe place. :thumb:

Im sure more people are injured in "accidents" involving any kind of gun than are actually injured in intentional shooting in the UK (although i may be wrong :Doh:).

By law any firearm in the UK must be kept in a safe place as checked by the local police . The argument for keeping all the firearms in one place has been discussed in the past , and the conclusion is , that if all the firearms were kept in one place i.e. Gun Club , then criminals would know exactly where to target , and in one planned raid they could arm themselves up for life .Guns are safer kept at home in a gun safe under lock ad key.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Im sure the farmers around here wouldnt be pleased if they needed to go out and kill vermin or something for lunch but had to drive 10 miles to pick up their gun. Im the same. If I want to go out for a bit of a shoot, I just open the back door and walk across the fields. Keep the guns out of the towns if you like but there is nothing wrong with the way we use ours here.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Thanks guys,possibly more to do with feeling a sencse of security in having it around than hunting in the EU I think.

No doubt this is going to stir up a whole load of opinions but why do people need guns of any discription at home?
Well mate they are hardly secure left lying in an unattended barn at the smallholding. I shoot on my own land when I feel the urge, as is my right. I control vermin, as is my right. I keep it at home as is my right. I keep all kids outside of my home as is my right. And I will vigorously defend my right to continue to do so.
As is my right:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

More people are killed by crossing the road than by guns.

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Thanks guys,possibly more to do with feeling a sencse of security in having it around than hunting in the EU I think.
You cannot be serious!

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years

Well mate they are hardly secure left lying in an unattended barn at the smallholding. I shoot on my own land when I feel the urge, as is my right. I control vermin, as is my right. I keep it at home as is my right. I keep all kids outside of my home as is my right. And I will vigorously defend my right to continue to do so.
As is my right:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

More people are killed by crossing the road than by guns.

Yes indeed it is your right, but whats wrong with rat poison?? :Eeek:

More people are killed crossing the road, but if there were no cars there would be no accidents would there?? Cars are a necessary evil but I cannot think of a single reason why anyone would "NEED" a gun at home. :Sad:

Just my opinion but I do feel the only safe gun is a gun that isnt in the hands of a person, however well intentioned or however experienced they may feel they are. :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back