Aggressive dog calming tablets. (1 Viewer)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
My little pal as always had a bit of an aggressive streak in him which is synonymous with the breed as they were and still are hunting dogs (Spain) he is aged 10 and gradually starting to try and bite us, successfully a couple of times. It has now come to a point where we are on a knife edge.
l am considering Calming Tablets but it’s minefield and so difficult to make a choice. Reading reviews doesn’t really help.

Has anyone experience in giving such a tablet on a daily basis and have a recommendation.

Putting him down would break my heart so please no suggestions of such action.
Thanks.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
What situation(s) is prompting the behaviour? Feeding, telling off, other dogs, play, other people?

Dogs do develop dementia too?

Work back from the cause, unless it is continuous, where it may sadly be that the dominant parts of the brain are driving the wolf behaviour, at which point you need to potentially take a horrendous decision.

Drugging the dog can’t be the answer! The behaviour will still be there.

Is the dog castrated. Assuming male?

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Hi,
I don’t know how long you have had him or whether he was a street dog at all etc?
Rather than looking at medication, have you considered a dog behaviourist? It’s a bit of a minefield looking for one as plenty of people “think” they know all about dogs but the methods they use are very punitive I.e the likes of Cesar Milan (horrid man!)
There is a fantastic guy called Glasgow dog trainer https://www.glasgowdogtrainer.co.uk/ he also has a fb page that is very informative.
He may even be able to put you in contact with someone more local to you?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Sorry to hear this, as someone above mentioned he may have the early stages of dementia. I know it's probably not the answer but have you thought of a muzzle, one of our friends dog has to have a muzzle in certain situations when the dog gets stressed.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I would get a full health check from the vet first. Exclude any medical causes.

We have a Malinois puppy and she was very human reactive. We were really worried she would bite someone. We had a good Dog Psychologist come and have a look. Turns out she is scared and not looking to bite at all and we were the problem with our behaviour of which we had no idea. Photo of the pain below.

Hope you get it sorted, the dog will be picking up on your fear and this is probably making them worse.

B7BF50FD-052C-4219-ACC8-35865B6B4340.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Littlewheels
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
What situation(s) is prompting the behaviour? Feeding, telling off, other dogs, play, other people?

Dogs do develop dementia too?

Work back from the cause, unless it is continuous, where it may sadly be that the dominant parts of the brain are driving the wolf behaviour, at which point you need to potentially take a horrendous decision.

Drugging the dog can’t be the answer! The behaviour will still be there.

Is the dog castrated. Assuming male?
He is castrated. he eats without aggression,no yelling at him ever,not keen on large dogs which we avoid,likes people,loves to play ball. His beha is so normal.
Sorry to hear this, as someone above mentioned he may have the early stages of dementia. I know it's probably not the answer but have you thought of a muzzle, one of our friends dog has to have a muzzle in certain situations when the dog gets stressed.
He fights to get a muzzle off and that’s if we can get one on.

We have a Malinois puppy and she was very human reactive. We were really worried she would bite someone. We had a good Dog Psychologist come and have a look. Turns out she is scared and not looking to bite at all and we were the problem with our behaviour of which we had no idea. Photo of the pain below.

Hope you get it sorted, the dog will be picking up on your fear and this is probably making them worse.
His usual vet in Spain that has known him all his life cannot handle him without medication which l hate him having.
He’s not nervous or jumpy and we act absolutely normal with him,he’s loving,laid now with his head on my outer thigh.

l thought some form of calming medicated might have helped, but l think l will try and find an understanding Vet that give him a full examination as it could be an underlying problem.

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Look for an holistic vet, so you can have a complete check on diet, gait, tummy, pain, behaviour. I have found ours to be invaluable. He has a behaviourist in the practice. If not have the dog checked for physical problems like sore joints etc and ask them to recommend a behaviourist.

take some phone footage of the dog at their level walking away and towards you, plus each side. Show the vet so that they can see the movement more naturally. In the vets the dog will not behave normaly. Also keep a diary and take that so that patterns and triggers can be understood.

Medication can suppress problems but they will still be there and can surface again.
I hope you get sorted for the sake of the dog and you. I know, from experience it’s not a nice place to be in

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

View attachment 693339
Beautiful dog though 😍

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The vet opinion is essential as a first step and a "GOOD" dog behaviouralist is my next advice. Having been very involved with the staffordshire bull terrier breed for years it is something that happens occasionally with some dogs.

When other issues are ruled out, try dog appeasing pheromones first (look for DAP). These can be introduced as a spray on the bedding or a room diffuser in the nearest plug socket to his bed. Another easy to get and minimally dangerous drug is piriton type antihistamine tablets (POUND SHOP IS FINE). One tablet a day works as a mild sedative and can be increased to 2 if the dog is in a stressful situation. But please only use this after speaking to a qualified vet to confirm it is suitable for your dog

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I completely forgot, we give Toby our 14 year old JR anxiety treats. Since our daughter left to go to uni he started suffering and now she is back home but living in her own house so they see each other a few times a week he is better, or is it the treats as we still give them as he enjoys them.
We bought them from pets at home and Amazon depending on the deal, I can't remember the name but they come in a purple and black tube.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
He is castrated. he eats without aggression,no yelling at him ever,not keen on large dogs which we avoid,likes people,loves to play ball. His beha is so normal.

He fights to get a muzzle off and that’s if we can get one on.

His usual vet in Spain that has known him all his life cannot handle him without medication which l hate him having.
He’s not nervous or jumpy and we act absolutely normal with him,he’s loving,laid now with his head on my outer thigh.

l thought some form of calming medicated might have helped, but l think l will try and find an understanding Vet that give him a full examination as it could be an underlying problem.
My daughter recommends Zyklene, which is available over the counter. It is a complimentary feed. Medication can help to prevent unwanted behaviour becoming a habit which then becomes harder to break.

Jun 27, 2021
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Twelve months and still learning.
I don't mean to be cruel or offend in any way, but you have acknowledged on a public forum that your dog can be aggressive towards humans. Should that dog subsequently bite a third party you could be held liable for damages in law and the dog could be destroyed and you fined or worse for keeping such a dog.

Please think very carefully and take a vet's advice.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
My little pal as always had a bit of an aggressive streak in him which is synonymous with the breed as they were and still are hunting dogs (Spain) he is aged 10 and gradually starting to try and bite us, successfully a couple of times. It has now come to a point where we are on a knife edge.
l am considering Calming Tablets but it’s minefield and so difficult to make a choice. Reading reviews doesn’t really help.

Has anyone experience in giving such a tablet on a daily basis and have a recommendation.

Putting him down would break my heart so please no suggestions of such action.
Thanks.
I have found a tranquillising blow dart helps...... ;)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
We don't have dogs but for cats we have on occasions used herbal calming remedies from: Dorwest. However, as others have said it would be best to find out what is causing the problem. My sister used to train gun dogs and was considered one of the best in the UK and her thoughts are you need to establish the cause. Often it's fear, perhaps he/she in pain and not wanting to be touched.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
First check for a physical cause, then a mental cause, if that doesn't give you an answer it could simply be that he's getting grumpy in his old age, just like people do, try not to let him see/smell etc your fear as that will indicate to him that he's the top dog. We've had numerous dogs and they all get grumpy as they get older, to a greater or lesser extent, our Tazzy likes to take herself off and lay in the bedroom on her own so she can 'chill-out' away from us and the 2 monsters (although she did this before we got the second monster!), it's what she likes and we don't force her to be with us unless we need her to be.

It might help to put him in a room away from you for a shot period of time every day rather than let him be with you all the time as this will show you are the boss and he will then realise you are still the alpha in the home. It's very easy for us humans to forget that dogs needs to know where they are in the pecking order and it needs to be enforced at times so they know their place and then aren't stressing about it themselves.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just a thought, check the food you're giving him in case it's had a change in the ingredients/levels as this can affect a dog's attitude.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Our dog isn't aggressive but gets hyped up when grandkids come. We put a tight fitting xmas jumper on him or a body harness or coat. All have the effect of calming him and making him very passive.

enark

Free Member
Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
burstner
One of our old BTs got grumpy, turned out it was dental decay, after having a few out, he was fine and no longer grumpy…still a pain though but that’s the breed….

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back