Aerial For Mifi? (2 Viewers)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi guys
About to order a Mifi for he MH
There are various models, some require either a roof mounted aerial or a window mounted one, whereas others dont have any aerial at all
Is it desirable to have an aerial on a Mifi?

Any MIFI recommendations would also be appreciated

Thanks
Robert

Sep 4, 2013
North Hants
Funster No
MH
Chatsworth CV40
Exp
Motorhome since 1997 Camping since 1990
An aerial will give you a better reception in an area where others without an aerial will struggle. Its down to the individual and how much internet is important to you. We have a 4G roof mounted fixed aerial from MotorhomeWIFI. They are excellent at providing advice.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
An external antenna for a MiFi device can make a really big difference. However it won't always take you from "no reception" to "full reception" - it is far more likely to improve a weak signal, although there are occasions where it will make a difference between 3G and 4G as was the case for a couple of people purchasing at Peterborough.

Our low profile roof mounted antenna has a full fitting kit - so you just drill a 25mm hole through the roof of the van and the whole thing self-seals just like a status. This antenna is available in black or white.

In terms of MiFi device there are two models we supply at the moment - The Huawei E5377 and E5372. These are both almost identical, although I do prefer the E5372 slightly as it has TS9 rather than CRC9 antenna sockets spaced further apart.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My mifi came with a little magnetic external aerial which improved the signal when fixed to the roof of the MH. I then bought a bigger one off eBay, about £20, which looks more impressive but swapping between the big and little aerials doesn't make any discernable difference. But check you have a roof which is magnetic before buying!

As to which mifi, mines called Hughie or something like that and comes from China and was bought from motorhome WiFi - link as above. It works fine but things change so quickly my specific model is probably now superceded! What I would suggest is fit a USB port somewhere convenient so you can charge and use it at the same time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
An external antenna for a MiFi device can make a really big difference. However it won't always take you from "no reception" to "full reception" - it is far more likely to improve a weak signal, although there are occasions where it will make a difference between 3G and 4G as was the case for a couple of people purchasing at Peterborough.

Our low profile roof mounted antenna has a full fitting kit - so you just drill a 25mm hole through the roof of the van and the whole thing self-seals just like a status. This antenna is available in black or white.

In terms of MiFi device there are two models we supply at the moment - The Huawei E5377 and E5372. These are both almost identical, although I do prefer the E5372 slightly as it has TS9 rather than CRC9 antenna sockets spaced further apart.
I can't seem to see the E5372 on your website
Do you have a link please?
And do you offer any discounts for Funsters?
Thanks

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I can't seem to see the E5372 on your website
Do you have a link please?
And do you offer any discounts for Funsters?
Thanks

We're working on the website this weekend - but we can supply either E5377 or E5372 at the same cost. If you want to chat through the pros/cons of the devices and antennas call Sophie or I on Monday and we'd be happy to answer all of your questions :)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We're working on the website this weekend - but we can supply either E5377 or E5372 at the same cost. If you want to chat through the pros/cons of the devices and antennas call Sophie or I on Monday and we'd be happy to answer all of your questions :)
Could you please post the link when you have it?
Is there a discount for members please?
Thanks

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Could you please post the link when you have it?
Is there a discount for members please?
Thanks

We don't offer a monetary discount I'm afraid, I'm proud to say our testimonials and forum mentions are from customers who have paid the same price :) We always do our best to help customers with SIM cards, advice and out of hours support.

The MiFi devices and antennas can all be found on this page: http://www.motorhomewifi.com/catalog/3g/

The E5372 is in stock just not on the website just now, but if you send me an e-mail I can send you the full specification sheets Huawei sent us for both devices for you to compare :)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Daft question time. I'm thinking of getting a Mifi jobby to use with a Three SIM card in Lanzarote this summer. This will hopefully provide for 2 laptops.

Been reading and can it also be used as a signal booster for my mobile phone on EE ?

Or am I being a bit daft ?

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
A black one in situ. Lousy picture quality I'm afraid.

Installed by Dave Newell's chaps at the same time as they did the solar panels also visible.

2015-04-25 13.41.01.jpg

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Been reading and can it also be used as a signal booster for my mobile phone on EE ?

A MiFi device won't boost the cellular signal for your mobile phone.

If you had a MiFi device with a SIM card in connected to an external antenna then potentially it will perform better than your mobile phone - but it will provide a connection via WiFi and thus be using the data from its own SIM and not anything to do with the cellular connection on your phone.

Mobile phone 'boosters' are illegal - unless you spend £400+ on a Cel-Fi device.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.

Hi Addie - are you sure about that? As my research says they are both TS9 ports.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Daft question time. I'm thinking of getting a Mifi jobby to use with a Three SIM card in Lanzarote this summer. This will hopefully provide for 2 laptops.

We have a Hauwei 5776 and you can connect 10 devices at once, I've only used 3 at a time.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We've got this aerial from Addie and in a not very scientific experiment carried out now on our site at Lake Garda without it the Mifi has no signal. With it connected I have enough signal to post this

image.jpg

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Addie - are you sure about that? As my research says they are both TS9 ports.

Yes, quite sure. Just to prove I've got nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon here is a video showing the differences (something I've been meaning to do for a while actually, so thanks for the prompt!).

Hope that helps.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
there are occasions where it will make a difference between 3G and 4G as was the case for a couple of people purchasing at Peterborough.
Including us :D

We were at Brassnocker Basin near Bath last week and the phone signal was very iffy. The 4G LTE aerial attached to the Huawei E5372 gave us Internet access with no problems.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Yes, quite sure. Just to prove I've got nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon here is a video showing the differences (something I've been meaning to do for a while actually, so thanks for the prompt!).

Umm - many thanks for that Addie - the reasons I thought you may have made a mistake is if you google various companies selling both of these Huawei's they state that the antenna ports are TS9 - really pleased I've checked with you. So the E5377 antenna is CRC9 - MALE?

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Umm - many thanks for that Addie - the reasons I thought you may have made a mistake is if you google various companies selling both of these Huawei's they state that the antenna ports are TS9 - really pleased I've checked with you. So the E5377 antenna is CRC9 - MALE?

CRC9 is generally male (there is no pin on the accepting socket as with standard applications).

Personally, I'd have an E5372 every time as CRC9 connections on the E5377 can deform very easily - there really are no performance differences between them. We'll be stocking E5372's until we're no longer able to source them.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
CRC9 is generally male (there is no pin on the accepting socket as with standard applications).

Personally, I'd have an E5372 every time as CRC9 connections on the E5377 can deform very easily - there really are no performance differences between them. We'll be stocking E5372's until we're no longer able to source them.

Many thanks Addie.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Quote from 'Solwise uk....
If your client device (dongle, router, whatever) only has a single antenna connector then there’s just no point in getting an LTE antenna with dual connections; you’re just wasting your money. On the other hand if you do have a dual connection device then you must use either two single connection antenna or one dual connection antenna. If you don’t then you will limit your potential data throughput (of course I’m assuming that the mast/service from your telco/ISP actually supports multi-stream)...
(have a look at their excellent aerials)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's for a MiFi, http://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/4g-roof-antenna-e5577-mifi-save-25/

A very neat solution but I suggest using a separate aerial which you can stick to the window, which will cost about £25 to £30 as a starter and see how you get on. I don't think the roof aerial gives any significant improvement in performance. It's just a tidy way of mounting an aerial permanently and of course it can be used on the move.

I'm learning to appreciate being tidy! When I first used a MiFi there seemed to be leads going everywhere. I've improved a bit since then and now have a usb socket close to the mifi which itself is stuck to a wall with Velcro to keep it out of the way.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
@TheCaller are you pleased with the low profile roof mounted antenna ?? and do you use this for MiFi or Wifi ?
As DBK says. More specifically, it's this one. To be honest, I haven't run any definitive tests to see how much better it is than either the mifi on it's own, or when connected to a window mount antenna. I just wanted a neat, permanent solution that was 'always on'. So yes, I am pleased with it. It does what I wanted it for. There are very few places in the UK, France, Denmark or Sweden where I have been & haven't had 4 or 5 out of 5 bars showing on the mifi. That's with 3 or 3's roaming partners. 5 bars here at Gravelines, but I'm currently using the 3 hours of free wifi per day that the port provides - the boat mooring wifi covers the aire as well.

Reactions: DBK
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I bought a cheap antenna that I put on the roof when signal is poor, it usually helps, from Amazon

• 41IRkn2-MuL._SS40_.jpg
  • 31mM-OoDkxL._SS40_.jpg
  • 41gBsAtA3oL._SS40_.jpg

• 41IRkn2-MuL.jpg

Mixed-Gadgets 16dbi 3G & 4G TS9 External Antenna Huawei E586 E5332 E5776 E392 E589 E398 E8278 (4G 16DBI)

by
2.8 out of 5 stars

|

Price: £15.99 & FREE Delivery in the UK on orders over £20.

Only 2 left in stock.

Want it tomorrow, 8 Sep.? Order within 11 hrs 54 mins and choose One-Day Delivery at checkout. Broken Link Removed
Sold by and .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back