Cheaper Options for Returning from France (1 Viewer)

Feb 20, 2010
winchcombe
Funster No
MH
swift sundance 630g
Hi all we use the tunnel to cross to France, I was looking into a ferry on the way back but its £805 one way with a cabin seems very expensive is there a cheaper way ? any adise would be great

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Hi all we use the tunnel to cross to France, I was looking into a ferry on the way back but its £805 one way with a cabin seems very expensive is there a cheaper way ? any adise would be great
Without any details, can only suggest using a comparison site for the route you are looking at, there are several site.
"With a cabin" suggests your not looking at Dover/Calais so alternative, cheaper route would be Dover/Calais or back
through tunnel + fuel naturally.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
That's not comparing apples with apples?

If you a member of one of the clubs you get 10% off or a kindly member on here may give you a friends discount code to use on BF.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
7 m 3adults 1 13yo from bilbao to uk cheapest route,cheers all
That's about the right price for that route. We have used Plymouth/Santander several times and even ten years ago it was about £1,000 return. You can make a saving joining BF's Club Voyage but there is a joining fee and the savings for new members are less than they are for those who joined in the past. It may not save anything in the first year but you will save something in subsequent years.

Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
7 m 3adults 1 13yo from bilbao to uk cheapest route,cheers all
I don't understand you request for "bilbao to uk cheapest route", Portsmouth is the ONLY route to UK I can see.

DBK #7
"£1000 Return 10 years ago", £800 single does not seem unrealistic.​

You'll need to research the cost of departing from a different port if you want to find alternative/possible cheaper crossing.
3 x adults & 13 yo, not a lot of payload headroom for "duty free".

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
I don't understand you request for "bilbao to uk cheapest route", Portsmouth is the ONLY route to UK I can see.

DBK #7​

"£1000 Return 10 years ago", £800 single does not seem unrealistic.​

You'll need to research the cost of departing from a different port if you want to find alternative/possible cheaper crossing.
3 x adults & 13 yo, not a lot of payload headroom for "duty free".
Well that's just knocked out all the Northern French ports!

OP
OP
matt34
Feb 20, 2010
winchcombe
Funster No
MH
swift sundance 630g
Yeah your correct portsmouth is the only one, I can do the tunnel,fuel,tolls an aire for the night for less than that shame as it would of been a great and different experience for us cheers for the advice everyone.

Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Yeah your correct portsmouth is the only one, I can do the tunnel,fuel,tolls an aire for the night for less than that shame as it would of been a great and different experience for us cheers for the advice everyone.
You could use the ferry to Dover for a "different experience", FYI, we did that several years ago, car trip, at our then 9 yo daughters request.
We rolled of the ferry and she asked can we use the Tunnel back, luckily we'd only booked one way as trip length was unknown.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Yes naturally but, toll roads can be avoided and he'd have to be getting approx 12mpg for the cost to be the same.

To be clear I wasn't suggesting it would be the same. Or even close. It was just a reminder not to forget the costs when making a comparison.

And yes of course the toll costs can indeed be avoided. I didn't state that as I thought it was obvious. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK
Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
We are paying £1000 return with cabin, Plymouth to Santander in October. It has been around the same price for nearly 10 years!

Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
If you are over 60, the Dieppe to Newhaven route gives 20% discount it cost me £154.50 return and €55 for a cabin because the outward bound was cancelled at 11.00 am Monday and we took a 23.00 pm Sunday instead. Moho is under 8.0 metres long… 2 people 4.5 tonne.
Added: we departed April 14th coming back June 12th…

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
How important is money?

IF you drive the whole route will you account for costs other than fuel and tolls: wear and tear, tyres etc? Stress on the driver? Boredom of the passengers?
IF you intend to drive back, do you need to go as far as northern Spain?

IF you catch the ferry, how much do you value the experience? We thoroughly enjoyed seeing whales and dolphins as we crossed the Bay of Biscay! We didn’t enjoy feeling seasick!
I haven’t been on the new boats but previous ones had various entertainment: live shows, music, films, (bingo 🙄).

Only you can decide what is important.

Enjoy - Gordon
On our first trip we paid for an outside cabin with extras. Since then we’ve used inside cabins because we realised that we spent most of the journey asleep or in the public areas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Dieppe Newhaven seems popular on DFDS.

And saves a few miles on the French side compared to Calais/Diver if you’re heading anywhere other than SE England.

Single crossing Dieppe to Newhaven @18.00 on 39th June was £90.60 for 2 + 7m moho, admittedly with the 20% discount.

Mar 9, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
It all depends on the length of time you have. Ferries from Santander or Bilbao to UK are probably similar. No ferry alternatives that I know of. Otherwise it’s a wonderful drive back up through France roughly similar to the time, overnights, costs on the way down. Do you have the time available? Dieppe -Newhaven is the best northern ferry trip. Calais-Dover is cheaper but further north.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
My geography's not the best but didn't know that Bilbao had moved to France? :-D

Mar 9, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
My geography's not the best but didn't know that Bilbao had moved to France? :-D
The OP explained in post #5 that he was looking for alternatives from Spain. Santander or Bilbao being a similar distance from UK so possibly similar costs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back