Adria Twin, Maxxfan installed. Easier than I expected. (1 Viewer)

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Just fitted a Maxxfan to my 2021my Adria Twin Supreme 640SLB so thought I’d describe how I installed it to help anyone thinking of doing the same and also allow others to tell me how I did it all wrong 😀.

The existing roof light is fixed onto a black gasket with sealant so came off easily by sliding a blade between the roof light and the gasket. The remaining old sealant was then cleaned off with white spirit leaving a flat gasket 40 x 40cm. I used sikaflex to bed down the Maxxfan base and then secured with screws.
189D7CC6-C7BA-4741-BB2F-7BCB866B858B.jpeg

The difficult part of any Maxxfan install is getting 12v to it, Adria helpfully pre install a 240v cable from the rear roof light to alongside the mains breaker unit. The cable at the roof light was a bit of a pig to get as it was just beyond reach behind the timber. In the end I had to cut some of the timber batten to reach it.
78F0F0F5-9296-4EAE-8969-34E6E37A1BFE.jpeg

Now to get a 12v supply to the other end of the 240v cable. Doing some research I found 3 ways to get the supply. Fish a cable under the dinette floor and connect to the leisure battery, do the same but connect to the 12v fuse box or take a feed from the back of the 12v socket beside the tv. I chose the last as I thought it the easiest.

Piggybacking to the 12v socket was easy. Drop a cable finder down the back inside the wall. Behind the dinette seat back there is a hatch, take that out and it helps drop the cable finder down and behind the boiler. It’s then simple to pull the 12v positive and negative cables through and connect to the 240v cable. I put a switch in so I could switch off the supply to the Maxxfan to save power as it’s on standby all the time for the remote control.
4BACAF20-AA06-46FF-926A-0FE1CBB0229B.jpeg

76A8D410-53CA-414F-B273-36385EBE7C36.jpeg

Back onto the roof of the van, drop in the Maxxfan, being careful of the cables, and put on the internal frame. Done.

Overall it took me around 4 hours.

Away for the next 3 nights and looking forward to seeing what difference it makes.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Well done... I'll be fitting one after our summer vacation, and many other jobs on my Must Do List...Stay Cool...🤔👍🇪🇦

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Fitted one earlier this year in my ih pvc, very similar experience to yours, and an absolute godsend over the weekend just gone at Whitby - leave it running all day cooling the van down, whilst the solar is topping up the battery with what it's using 👌

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
Thanks for that, great write up we have a 2019 slb and thinking of fitting one in the near future. 👍

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
I'm going to fit one where my B2200 air conditioner sits (ist kaput).
Like the OP I plan to use the existing 240v feed and adapt it to supply 12v DC for the maxxair fan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Just fitted a Maxxfan to my 2021my Adria Twin Supreme 640SLB so thought I’d describe how I installed it to help anyone thinking of doing the same and also allow others to tell me how I did it all wrong 😀.

The existing roof light is fixed onto a black gasket with sealant so came off easily by sliding a blade between the roof light and the gasket. The remaining old sealant was then cleaned off with white spirit leaving a flat gasket 40 x 40cm. I used sikaflex to bed down the Maxxfan base and then secured with screws.
View attachment 650931

The difficult part of any Maxxfan install is getting 12v to it, Adria helpfully pre install a 240v cable from the rear roof light to alongside the mains breaker unit. The cable at the roof light was a bit of a pig to get as it was just beyond reach behind the timber. In the end I had to cut some of the timber batten to reach it.
View attachment 650933

Now to get a 12v supply to the other end of the 240v cable. Doing some research I found 3 ways to get the supply. Fish a cable under the dinette floor and connect to the leisure battery, do the same but connect to the 12v fuse box or take a feed from the back of the 12v socket beside the tv. I chose the last as I thought it the easiest.

Piggybacking to the 12v socket was easy. Drop a cable finder down the back inside the wall. Behind the dinette seat back there is a hatch, take that out and it helps drop the cable finder down and behind the boiler. It’s then simple to pull the 12v positive and negative cables through and connect to the 240v cable. I put a switch in so I could switch off the supply to the Maxxfan to save power as it’s on standby all the time for the remote control. View attachment 650935
View attachment 650936

Back onto the roof of the van, drop in the Maxxfan, being careful of the cables, and put on the internal frame. Done.

Overall it took me around 4 hours.

Away for the next 3 nights and looking forward to seeing what difference it makes.
Andy , did you by any chance measure your aperture size?
As far as I can see the hole for my B2200 is 390mm.
I'm told a Maxxairfan needs 400?

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Would like to fit a maxxfan or AC unit to my twin, but the existing Heki roof lights are 500x700 & I havent found anothing that will fit without cutting another hole in the roof. Have to make do with a Fiamma turbo vent and endless breeze.

OP
OP
Andy MacD
May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
As far as I can see the hole for my B2200 is 390mm.
I'm told a Maxxairfan needs 400?
I measured and the Adria was 400, or as near as makes no difference. The fan itself is smaller than 400, it’s the mounting plate which sits on the roof which matters and it did have a little sideways movement before I sealed it down.

Can I suggest you contact Dan who is very helpful and is I think the UK distributor. I’m sure he could accurately measure the aperture required.

Dan Palmer | Sales, Accounts & Warranties
P | 01543 577334
Unit 11 Rumer Hill Business Estate | Cannock | Staffordshire | WS11 0ET

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I fitted a Maxxfan a few weeks ago. It was incredibly useful in Norfolk last week when the temperatures went over 30C. The van was much more comfortable during the day. And setting it to 10% overnight kept a bit of airflow going without being too noisy. Money well spent!

I got the clear/light smoke version with the additional blind with lighting. The blind isn't great. It can only be either open or closed with no intermediate positions and it pretty much completely blocks the airflow. So we never closed it. Might be useful when it's really cold I guess? The light is good though. If I had known, I probably would have got the dark smoke or even the solid hood version.

Mar 2, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Im a newbe
Just a quick question ! How does one stand with 10year water ingress warranty when a Maxxair fan fitted ? .

OP
OP
Andy MacD
May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
If you have a leak anywhere around the fan you’re on your own. They marked it in my first year hab report.

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Hello Andy MacD
I have two questions:
Did you also install the Maxxfan blind?
How does the Maxxfan electronics cope with the 12V oscilation, no problems?
I'm thinking about installing a small DC/DC converter that stabilizes the 12V from the TV socket and to a maximum of 3 amps.

Cheers

OP
OP
Andy MacD
May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Hello Andy MacD
I have two questions:
I'm thinking about installing a small DC/DC converter that stabilizes the 12V from the TV socket and to a maximum of 3 amps.

Cheers
Didn’t install a blind. The light doesn’t bother us. We did make a felt square with Velcro dots we can cover it with if it’s particularly windy and that cuts the draught. I’ve seen some posts where the old blind was put back on over the Maxxfan cover.
No issues running it, 26c here in Avignon and the breeze it creates through the van is lovely.

Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Hello Andy MacD
I have two questions:

Cheers
I did fit the blind.
It works but is a bit simple. No intermediate position open or closed but it does keep light out.
No problem with voltage I'm aware of.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Anyone know if there's a pre wired cable to either the kitchen or Bedroom skylights in a 2019 Matrix? I know there was prewiring for solar and TV aerial.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back