Adblue Refill: Timing and Options (2 Viewers)

May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
Just some suggestions from people. My pvc has now covered nearly 11000 miles and the adblu was topped up at around 5000 miles when the light came on ( no gauge to say how low) . I am expecting it to come on at anytime and it is in for a service next week.
I was given an unopened 5 litre container of Adblu last summer which has stayed in the dark in the garage. Should a) I wait until the light comes on, b) use the Adblu I have or c) ask the garage to top up?

Oct 24, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Caracompact 600 MEG
Exp
5 years
Having had issues in the past when driving home with light on and then filling up and not able to start…… I calculated that I could comfortably get 1500 miles on tank of ad blu so now top up at that mileage point. Try to use pump at garage rather than container so I know exactly how much was required. So far this has worked well.🤞🏻

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Just some suggestions from people. My pvc has now covered nearly 11000 miles and the adblu was topped up at around 5000 miles when the light came on ( no gauge to say how low) . I am expecting it to come on at anytime and it is in for a service next week.
I was given an unopened 5 litre container of Adblu last summer which has stayed in the dark in the garage. Should a) I wait until the light comes on, b) use the Adblu I have or c) ask the garage to top up?

Dealer told me I’ll have a 1000 miles after warning light has come on.

I’m new to the world of Adblu and have just discovered some folks use an additive to prevent crystals forming in the fuel system - fact or hype?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I have another 1600 miles so says the info on the dash. I have just bought five ltrs with a years shelf life.
Top up now and add to the older stuff in the tank, or wait a bit and top up when a warning comes on.?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If I had adblue I would check it & top up the same as I do with the windscreen washer bottle, daily. It would never be less than completely full.
- fact or hype?
fact.
Even supermarkets sell it I was looking at a Goodyear anti-crystallisation bottle in one this morning

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
If I had adblue I would check it & top up the same as I do with the windscreen washer bottle, daily. It would never be less than completely full.

fact.
Even supermarkets sell it I was looking at a Goodyear anti-crystallisation bottle in one this morning

Wouldn’t it be nice if the standard Adblu formula included an ingredient to prevent that or is that naive? Reminds me of Redex, still available but how many of us have experienced mechanical failure because they don’t use it?

InvictaMoto

Free Member
Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
I topped mine up in the autumn before I set off for France and Spain. I topped it up again yesterday and it took half a 5-litre bottle. I didn't make a note of the mileage when I did it though last time. Maybe I am being over cautious but I'd rather have a full(ish) tank instead of a 5-litre bottle sitting in the garage....

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I've been looking at the Wynns Adblu additive (Crystal Clean and Protect). I see they do a 125mL size and a 500mL which states for commercial vehicles. Presumably these are the same product?

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I've been looking at the Wynns Adblu additive (Crystal Clean and Protect). I see they do a 125mL size and a 500mL which states for commercial vehicles. Presumably these are the same product?
I have to say I am very wary of adding anything if it is currently working without a problem

Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
I just follow the warning light and it takes 10 litres when I fill it up.
I might be naive but I figure the manufacturers know what they are advising!
Having said that I know nothing and just stumble along hoping for the best.

Oct 22, 2020
God's Own County
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H592
Exp
Since 2018
My only run in with Adblu so far, was a Merc company car when Adblu first appeared, the lease people told me to top it up every 2-2500 miles and try to not let it get low enough for the warning light to come on

Were they just being cautious or did they know something we don't?🤨

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

I’m new to the world of Adblu and have just discovered some folks use an additive to prevent crystals forming in the fuel system - fact or hype?

In the fuel system? But adblue is not connected to the fuel system.

I just asked Google 'How does Adblue work?'

Heated in the exhaust, it decomposes into ammonia and CO₂. When the NOx from the engine exhaust reacts inside the catalyst with the ammonia, the harmful NOx molecules in the exhaust are converted to harmless nitrogen and water, which are released from the tail pipe as steam.

Where does 'crystals in the fuel system' come into this?

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
In the fuel system? But adblue is not connected to the fuel system.

I just asked Google 'How does Adblue work?'

Heated in the exhaust, it decomposes into ammonia and CO₂. When the NOx from the engine exhaust reacts inside the catalyst with the ammonia, the harmful NOx molecules in the exhaust are converted to harmless nitrogen and water, which are released from the tail pipe as steam.

Where does 'crystals in the fuel system' come into this?

No idea, probably talking b*******.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Reminds me of Redex, still available but how many of us have experienced mechanical failure because they don’t use it?
True. I haven't, but I think it may be more to do with the improved quality fuels, oils and combustion control than were customary for the horseless carriages of yesteryear. ;)

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
I just follow the warning light and it takes 10 litres when I fill it up.
I might be naive but I figure the manufacturers know what they are advising!
Having said that I know nothing and just stumble along hoping for the best.
My first fill after warning light came on was the same; took 10 litres and showed full. No dramas filling up from the forecourt bought container either, just poured it in and after a short wait with ignition on we fired up and off we went.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I have another 1600 miles so says the info on the dash. I have just bought five ltrs with a years shelf life.
Top up now and add to the older stuff in the tank, or wait a bit and top up when a warning comes on.?
Best to just top it up with your new blue. Dongcwait for a warning light to come on.

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
I waited for the light to come on and it took 10ltrs to fill.

No problem since.

However I was talking to my very experienced garage man about Adblue, he advised me to fill up to max every time .. before you do a long journey .. you've no need to wait for the Adblue warning light.

The work and repairs he has done for me, I highly value his real world advice.

I hope this is helpful for others.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Wouldn’t it be nice if the standard Adblu formula included an ingredient to prevent that or is that naive? Reminds me of Redex, still available but how many of us have experienced mechanical failure because they don’t use it?
I still put a bottle of Redex (bought at Tesco's) into my full fuel tank twice a year! 👍 😄

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I’m certainly noticing that the Adblu consumption reduces when undertaking longish or non-start stop stints behind the wheel at reasonably constant speed - autoroutes or even RN. I’m guessing that when the engine and exhaust are up to temperature for a continuous period the Adblu requirement reduces? Between a dash warning to top up north of Burgos - 9 litres - and the chance to top off near Jerez via Portugal which took a paltry 3 litres it appears to be approaching 1ltr Adblu per 2k.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Now unless it’s a supersaturated solution I would imagine any crystallisation would just get absorbed by driving the vehicle as the liquid sloshes around.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

fact.

No idea, probably talking b*******.

Just not directly in with the fuel. It injected in as you drive

Now unless it’s a supersaturated solution I would imagine any crystallisation would just get absorbed by driving the vehicle as the liquid sloshes around.

OK - my research tells me adblue is not a fuel additive as it is injected into the exhaust gasses after combustion so doesn't go near the fuel system. So there will be no crystalisation there. Just another old wives tell from the anti adblue brigade I guess.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So there will be no crystalisation there. Just another old wives tell from the anti adblue brigade I guess.
The adblu system is independent of the diesel fuel system. It crystallises in the afblue tank.
When"fuelsystem"was mentioned WE all know that the adblu system was what was bring talked about. It should have been clarified for those who didn't.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
w
The adblu system is independent of the diesel fuel system. It crystallises in the afblue tank.
When"fuelsystem"was mentioned WE all know that the adblu system was what was bring talked about. It should have been clarified for those who didn't.

Well I'm not sure how much people understand. It appears lots of people don't even realise its spelt AdBlue not Adblu.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back