3 Minute Pasta (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 1984
Just a quick recommendation for the 3 minute pasta sold in French supermarkets. It comes in various shapes but being smaller than the regular shapes it cooks quickly making it ideal for use in the motorhome to save on gas and limit the amount of steam produced. It's one of the things I always stock up on when I'm in France along with the 5 minute boil in the bag rice when I can find it.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Just a quick recommendation for the 3 minute pasta sold in French supermarkets. It comes in various shapes but being smaller than the regular shapes it cooks quickly making it ideal for use in the motorhome to save on gas and limit the amount of steam produced. It's one of the things I always stock up on when I'm in France along with the 5 minute boil in the bag rice when I can find it.
Sainsburys used to sell it but I haven’t found it recently.

I do not like my pasta al dente - I like it mushy - so I would love to know where to buy it in this country.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
France along with the 5 minute boil in the bag rice when I can find it.
Tried some of that it's horrible.
Best we have found for use in the van is the Lidl microwave packets you can cook it in a saucepan with a little bit of water in a couple of minutes, still not as good as the real thing.

OP
OP
Dart
Apr 9, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 1984
Tried some of that it's horrible.
Best we have found for use in the van is the Lidl microwave packets you can cook it in a saucepan with a little bit of water in a couple of minutes, still not as good as the real thing.
Yes, we use the Lidl microwave rice too, cooked as you described. I think that the 5 minute boil in the bag stuff is a bit rubbery but we don't mind it if it is given a couple of extras minutes to soften it enough.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dart
Apr 9, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 1984
Sainsburys used to sell it but I haven’t found it recently.

I do not like my pasta al dente - I like it mushy - so I would love to know where to buy it in this country.
It seems you can order it from Amazon but it would be a a dear way of buying it, especially if you have to pay for delivery. Panzini Pasta

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I don't boil pasta anymore in my kitchen or the van. Get saucepan, fill with boiled water from the kettle add plenty of salt, add pasta and give it a good stir, put the lid on and leave for around 20 minutes. Walk away and go and do something nice:giggle:(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We don't use any salt in cooking apart from a little bit in rice to raise the boiling point of the water

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I don't boil pasta anymore in my kitchen or the van. Get saucepan, fill with boiled water from the kettle add plenty of salt, add pasta and give it a good stir, put the lid on and leave for around 20 minutes. Walk away and go and do something nice:giggle:(y)
Isn't that method you describe boiling the pasta ?
Your first sentence says you don't boil pasta 🤔

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Isn't that method you describe boiling the pasta ?
Your first sentence says you don't boil pasta 🤔
yes but it works my way too for the taste of course you are right I don't boil my pasta I just let it sit in boiling water but still observe the rule of plenty of salt (y)

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Ill have to try that i always overcook

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
That method Ginam uses I think was advocated donkeys years ago, for rice too, by Tupperware who sold a specific tub for doing it.
And here's me thinking I was a genius for inventing this style of "cooking" pasta :ROFLMAO:I am one of those people who hate steaming up the van so came up with this idea(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That method Ginam uses I think was advocated donkeys years ago, for rice too, by Tupperware who sold a specific tub for doing it.
I still have my tupperware rice cooker, used to use it a lot at home and it worked a treat, we just use boil in the bag stuff when away as it's much easier.

nicklee

Free Member
Jul 21, 2023
Funster No
MH
Jayko JayFlight 26
I like to cook a Chinese food, soup dumplings, boil the water and put it in until it floats and then it's cooked, it's also very fast(y)(y)

Sep 2, 2020
Ladybarn, Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
I still have my tupperware rice cooker, used to use it a lot at home and it worked a treat, we just use boil in the bag stuff when away as it's much easier.
Arrrgh Tupperware, used to have a garage (and half the house) full of the stuff :eek:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Arrrgh Tupperware, used to have a garage (and half the house) full of the stuff :eek:
If you are now 'allergic' to Tupperware don't whatever you do go to any French Vide Greniers (like car boot sales), there's masses of the stuff on offer, hubby kept commenting that he didn't know Tupperware did so much stuff for all manner of things. :giggle:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
It had an anniversary (tupperware) and there was something on the radio about how they are still producing new items. I have 2 items o e large cake type box, inherited from father full of screwdrivers and easy to hand tools and a small manakin round container in van used for teabags and the lid goes on top of the mug to keep the tea warm and bugs out. I have a jug as well bit not sure that's genuine

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Lenny HB , I regularly do those sautéed tinned potatoes that you showed me in France. Easy to do and Graham loves them. 😃😃😃

Jul 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Dorest E
Exp
Jul 22
Lenny HB , I regularly do those sautéed tinned potatoes that you showed me in France. Easy to do and Graham loves them. 😃😃😃
Seriously, is there anything our Lenny HB can't do?? 👌
I think Jim Needs to give him an avatar title too
(I'm actually not being so facetious here, Mr Lenny seems a font of all things knowledge with most thinks in life, amen!)
He needs to bring out an all things motorhome book 😁

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Microwave rice in a bag takes 2 minutes and only costs around 50p a bag, perfect for use in MH.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Me too I use all the time now. I never boil rice as I am usually only cooking for one(y)
I use it all the time too. As I am also cooking for one, I freeze the rest of the bag.

If you don’t have a microwave, you can put it in a sieve and pour boiling water over it to heat it through.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back