LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have a 12 volt internal gas switch for the LPG tank on the bus. Have noticed this draws 0.5 amp when switched on. I know this is not much, but over a 24hr period its 12amps. Does anyone know if this can be disconnected and a manual tap fitted. The LPG tank is almost empty at the moment so now is a good time to get it sorted. Anyone know a fitter that could do this job preferably in the Northwest.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Dave
I don't have a clue-------------------but at a guess i would think it's a safety system and there is a sensor somewhere that will cut it's power in case of a leak/fire/accident------------------------------------if it were mine I would have a go at changing it for a manual tap:winky:-----even a small drain adds up over the long term------as you said
Nigel & Pamala

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Its odd that there is no gas tap on the tank itself. This switch has to be activated if any gas appliances are used, ie fridge, water heater, Truma heater, or cooker. If we have no hookup and are using the fridge on gas the switch must be on, so its continually drawing power. As said, 0.5 amps is not much but in winter or cloudy weather it adds up over a weeks camping.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I had a similar device on a sailing yacht. The gas 'on' switch which was in the galley would open or close a solenoid valve just downstream of the gas cylinder (in the stern). It was a safety feature that enabled the gas to be turned 'off' remotely.

I don't think you need it in a motorhome as you would often be using gas for long periods (only cooked with it in the boat)

The significance of having the device in the boat was that in the event of a leak in the galley the bilge would fill with gas and cause potential for an explosion (no bilge in motorhome so not really relevant).

Dunno if this helps?

:Smile:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I had a similar device on a sailing yacht. The gas 'on' switch which was in the galley would open or close a solenoid valve just downstream of the gas cylinder (in the stern). It was a safety feature that enabled the gas to be turned 'off' remotely.

I don't think you need it in a motorhome as you would often be using gas for long periods (only cooked with it in the boat)

The significance of having the device in the boat was that in the event of a leak in the galley the bilge would fill with gas and cause potential for an explosion (no bilge in motorhome so not really relevant).

Dunno if this helps?

:Smile:

This does make sense as the gas and 12volt system is the same as used on boats. Thats how I know its taking the 0.5amp. There is what can only be described as a 12 volt fuel gauge that tells you what is going in and out of the batteries as well as state of charge etc. Regarding the bilge idea, thats good thinking as the van does have a double skinned floor with a gap between. It is looking like I can disconnect this switch and get a manual gas tap fitted. I just have to find someone to do it now.

Apr 8, 2008
Snaith
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Nineteen years
Link Removed have a word with this very helpfull company they are in thirsk north yorkshire

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
normally on most tanks there will be an isolation valve before the solenoid to allow changing if it fails.

one advantage that the electric solenoid could have is it will probably shut off the gas when the engine is running reducing the risks of explosion in an accident.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back